Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo

WHC TEAMS IN STATE TOURNAMENT

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#26 VIKING COUNTRY

VIKING COUNTRY

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 373 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 02:04 AM

UP COMING 4th RD GAMES AND PREDICTIONS

1A WEST BOYS

#3.AVERY(24-4) VS #4.MOUNT AIRY(24-6)

Mount Airy finished 2nd place in the competitive Northwestern 1A conference behind WS Prep, with a (10-2) conference record. They have played a very tough regular season schedule and their 6 losses have come at the hands of some very tough competition. 3 of their loses were to WS Prep, (2 in the regular season, 1 in the conference championship), 2 of their loses were to North Surry a (25-4) squad who won the Piedmont 2A conference, and 1 loss was to a very tough North Forsyth. They have had some impressive wins also and they are well prepared for this game. The Vikings haven't been winning by big margins in the tournament this season but nevertheless they have hung in there and grinded out 3 10 point victories. This team has showed heart, determination, and grit in any situation they have been in this season and I feel they are definitely prepared for this game. From a rough (0-3) start, to having to win regular season games without Puckett when he was out due to injury. The Vikings have answered the call rallied around each other and stepped up big, when the moment felt bigger. These guys have overcome an intense conference championship win in a hostile environment and they overcome a 7 point deficient with under 3 minutes to play, without Puckett who had a stomach illness in the second round of the tournament. This will be a great rematch of last years 3rd round thriller, a game which the Vikings won by 3. This will no doubt be the Vikings biggest test in the tournament this far. The Vikings must play sound and mistake free basketball, get more offensive rebounds than we have in the last 2 games, attack the glass and get to the free throw line, force turnovers and get transition points. The Vikings have to play lights out in this one to advance.

1A WEST GIRLS

#1.GREYSTONE DAY(25-2) VS #2.AVERY(23-7)

Greystone went undefeated in the Uwarrie Athletic conference this season at (10-0). The lady Vikings have done very well in the state tourney and haven't really had a close game yet. The lady Vikes are taking their show on the road in what will undoubtedly be their toughest test yet. I really think this is a special group of girls that are more than capable of going on the road and gridding out a tough road win.

Good luck to the Vikings and lady Vikings! Very proud of both squads for making it this far and neither is done yet!

LETS GO VIKES!!!

#27 VIKING COUNTRY

VIKING COUNTRY

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 373 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 11:27 PM

Hats off to Mount Airy, they are a very good group of talented young men. They out rebounded us and forced alot of turnovers. The Vikings surprisingly got off to a good start and lead by 10 in the 1st quarter, then the critical turnovers started to happen. Some of those turnovers were self inflicted mental mistakes on our part, some were caused by the Mount Airy swarming defense. The worse part about this loss isn't that it was a tournament loss, or that it was the last game of the season, the worse part is it was Andy Dominguez, Christian Hicks, and Jeffery Puckett's last game. It has been another incredible season and what this team has accomplished is amazing. Another undefeated season in conference play, another conference tournament championship, another trip to the elite 8. I have really enjoyed watching them put on show week in and week out, bringing our little community together. I am so proud of these young men, the parents, and the coaching staff for their hard work and determination and I am looking forward to seeing them take the court next season.

Congrats to Mount Airy and good luck against Lincoln Charter, go on and win the state championship. I'm pulling for y'all. I would much rather see a traditional win it as advantaged any day.

#28 VIKING COUNTRY

VIKING COUNTRY

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 373 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 11:35 PM

TUE. NIGHT GIRLS FINAL SCORE

AVERY-55 GREYSTONE DAY-39

#29 VikingNation

VikingNation

Established Member

• Members
  • 783 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 01:18 AM

Congrats to the Vikings for another great season. I hated to see it come to an end, but nothing to hang our heads about. This team has accomplished so much and kept not only the consecutive conference winning streak alive but the winning tradition we have came accustom to in Avery County. This senior group is especially special and I for one hate to see their time at Avery come to an end. Its been a pleasure to watch you guys the last four years and how you have brought this community, town, and county together. You'll be missed but never forgotten!!! Good luck in your next adventure of life!!! To the rest of the young men returning next season, you guys have big shoes to fill and a lot of expectations to shoulder. The basketball program at Avery has been built from the ground up the right way and its up to you guys to keep our tradition and winning ways going. Thanks to the players, coaching staff, parents, and everyone that had a hand in another successful season of Avery Vikings basketball. May God bless each and everyone of you!!! 

#30 VIKING COUNTRY

VIKING COUNTRY

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 373 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 03:17 PM

1A WEST GIRLS

#2.AVERY(24-7) VS #2. MOUNT AIRY(28-2)

The ladies of Mount Airy have had an impressive season winning the 1A Northwestern Conference with an (11-1) record. Their only loss in conference was to Atkins and their only other loss was N.Surry. They won a thriller against Murphy in the 4th round to make it to the 5th round. The lady Vikes took their show on the road and took care of business with a 16 point win at #1. Greystone. The lady Vikings have been dominate in tournament play, posting a double digit win in each contest and will look for another dominate performance today. The lady Vikes have talent and are playing at a very high level. I see them coming out on top, getting some revenge for the boys who got knocked out by the bears in the 4th round of the boys tourney, and making it to 1A girls Championship!

#31 VIKING COUNTRY

VIKING COUNTRY

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 373 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 08:03 AM

Hats off to the lady granite bears, the lady Vikings have nothing to hang their heads about. They have had an incredible season and represented our little community well. Thank you to all the coaches, players, and parents who had a hand in both the boys and girls basketball teams this season. It is always a great year when the boys make the elite 8 and the girls make the final 4 in each of the state tournaments. A special thank you to the seniors for the hard work and determination you have put in, it has been a pleasure to watch you grow and play together and I know you all of you will be successful in the next chapter of your life. To the underclassmen, you have some big shoes to fill to preserve the tradition that we have grown so accustomed to over the past few seasons and I can't wait to see all of you on the hard wood next season.

JeffChapman-Dynamic