Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo

WHC TEAMS IN STATE TOURNAMENT

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 VIKING COUNTRY

VIKING COUNTRY

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 372 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 11:25 PM

All right guys now that the brackets have finally come out let's look at 1st round matchups, give insights and predictions.

#2 VIKING COUNTRY

VIKING COUNTRY

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 372 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 01:25 AM

1st RD GAMES

1A

WEST

#3.AVERY(19-1) VS #14.UWHARRIE CHARTER(11-8)

The Vikings are coming off an intense nail biting conference championship win against a very good warhorse team. The Vikings are ready to host the opening round of the state tournament. I don't know that much about the eagles. I do know that they play in the Central Tarheel League and that is a pretty tough conference. West and East Montgomery are both good. Avery needs to bust out of the gate to a fast start. The long bus ride to Newland may effect the eagles game early on. The Vikings need to attack the glass, get to the free throw line, win the rebound war, and get transition points.

MID WEST

#1.WS PREP(20-0) VS #16.MITCHELL(9-11)

The mountaineers get no love from the NCHSAA as they get fed to the lion's early, well more like fed to the phoenix, but rest assured the Vikings feel your pain they have knocked us out of 2 elite 8 appearances and 1 final four appearance the last 3 seasons. Everybody that knows me knows how much I dislike ADVANTAGE schools playing at the 1A level. Forsyth County has "open enrollment" meaning that any cheater/charter or advantage/academy has "no boundaries" and that means that the best basketball players end up at WS Prep, now they will tell you they "don't recruit", but Everytime someone defends them my BS meter goes sky high. Long story short Good luck, stun us all, go down there and beat em!

PICK:ADVANTAGE by as much as they want.

2A

WEST

#3.OWEN(17-3) VS #14.PARKWOOD(12-8)

The warhorses are coming off a heartbreaking and frustrating 1 point conference championship loss to the Vikings. They will host Parkwood in the opening round of the state tourney. I'm not familiar with the rebels, they did finished 2nd in the Rocky River Conference with a (7-3) conference record. If anyone has more insight on the rebels feel free to chime in. I said I see warhorses making some noise in the state tourney.

PICK:OWEN by 10

#2.FOREST HILLS(19-1) VS #15.HENDO(11-8)

Another WHC/RRC matchup in the opening round of the 2A tourney. Forest Hills got upset by Monroe in the Rocky River Conference championship. They look to regroup as they get ready to host the Bearcats. I'm pulling for the Bearcats in this one but I just don't see them being able to go on the road and pull off the upset.

PICK:FOREST HILLS by 15

MID WEST

#5.WEATMORE(16-4) VS #12.HERITAGE(13-7)

Westmore finished 2nd in the PAC 6 conference. They beat regular season conference championship Wingate in a overtime conference championship thriller. They will host the Cougars to open tournament play. Heritage is still a dangerous team with a lot of talent and the Cougars have been chopping at the bit waiting to pounce since their heartbreaking 2nd round conference tournament loss to the Warhorses. Gonna go out on a limb here and predict an upset.

PICK:HERITAGE by 3

#3 VikingNation

VikingNation

Established Member

• Members
  • 783 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 03:48 AM

1A West - Mid West

#14 Uwharrie Charter Academy (11-8) @ #3 Avery County (19-1)

#3 Avery County by 15

#16 Mitchell (9-11) @ #1 Winston-Salem Preparatory Academy (20-0)

Praying for an upset......  #1 WSP by 25+

2A West - Mid West

#14 Parkwood (12-8) @ #3 Owen (17-3)

#3 Owen by 15

#15 Hend (11-8) @ #2 Forest Hills (17-3)

#2 Forest Hills by 15

#12 Heritage (13-7) @ #5 Wheatmore (16-4)

This too is my upset pick #12 Heritage by 1

#4 titanman27

titanman27

Established Member

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 08:35 AM

Avery by 12- The Vikings should have a pretty solid win in round 1

Winston Salem Prep by 30- No chance for Mitchell, WS Prep is as good as the top 4A teams..

Owen by 3- Parkwood has a lot of athleticism and Owen will have a battle in the first round

Forest Hills by 20- Hendo faded down the stretch and will have a tough time with Forest Hills

Wheatmore by 2- This should be the most competitive game of the first round.. Heritage could pull off the upset but their lack of athleticism will hurt them here.

#5 Chute Boxe Hero

Chute Boxe Hero

• Members
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 05:50 AM

I've seen Uwharrie a few times.  That game really intrigues me. 

I think the predictions by VikingNation and titanman are spot on.  It'll depend on which Uwharrie shows up.  They've been wildly inconsistent. Before last Friday's loss against West Montgomery, they were on a five-game winning streak.  However, they played really poorly against WM. Like I said before, I'm not sure which version will show up to Newland.  

Their best players are Khadafi Ratliff and Elijah Manley.  Ratliff's a 6-0 two-guard that's smooth and athletic.  Manley's a 6-4 power forward who's a beast on the boards.  They also have a decent, small/quick backcourt with Jon Rush and Tiante Spinks.  Rush is alright but tends to get out of control quite a bit.  Spinks moves really well without the basketball.  Rest of team is average at very best.

#6 Chute Boxe Hero

Chute Boxe Hero

• Members
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 05:52 AM

Avery by 12- The Vikings should have a pretty solid win in round 1

Winston Salem Prep by 30- No chance for Mitchell, WS Prep is as good as the top 4A teams..

Owen by 3- Parkwood has a lot of athleticism and Owen will have a battle in the first round

Forest Hills by 20- Hendo faded down the stretch and will have a tough time with Forest Hills

Wheatmore by 2- This should be the most competitive game of the first round.. Heritage could pull off the upset but their lack of athleticism will hurt them here.

Heritage won't have to worry about lack of athleticism vs. Wheatmore.  They will have to worry about 6-6 Seth Heglar though. 

#7 titanman27

titanman27

Established Member

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 09:26 AM

It will be interesting to see how the mountain teams fare this year, I have felt this season the basketball talent level is down even more than usual for WNC across all classifications.. maybe teams will prove me wrong tonight...

#8 CoachMTurner

CoachMTurner

Varsity Team

• Coach
  • 159 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 10:45 PM

Looks like the WHC went 2-3 on the night with Owen and Avery winning there games. Anybody seen west Caldwell play?

#9 titanman27

titanman27

Established Member

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 10:49 PM

Looks like the WHC went 2-3 on the night with Owen and Avery winning there games. Anybody seen west Caldwell play?

Haven't seen them play this year but they are usually very quick and athletic. Will be a big test for Owen.

#10 VIKING COUNTRY

VIKING COUNTRY

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 372 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 07:37 AM

TUE. NIGHT SCORES

AVERY-73 UWARRIE-63

WS.PREP-88 MITCHELL-37

OWEN-81 PARKWOOD-65

WEATMORE-51 HERITAGE-44

FOREST HILLS-89 HENDO-65

#11 VIKING COUNTRY

VIKING COUNTRY

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 372 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 04:22 AM

UP COMING 2nd RD TOURNEY GAMES AND PREDICTIONS

1A WEST

#3.AVERY(22-4) VS #11.HAYESVILLE(13-13)

Haysville pulled off a huge 1st round upset against E.Mont. The Vikings had a closer game than they are recently accustomed to in the 1st round and will look to have a more dominant showing in round 2. Haysville (4-8) in the Smoky Mountain Conference, but don't let their record fool you they have played some stiff competition. Playing Swain and Cherokee twice each has them battle tested. The Vikings can't sleep on them, they must have a good showing and play sound basketball. Force turnovers, get transition baskets, get second chances points off rebounds and we must contain and limit their best offensive weapon #5 Cortell, he averages 26 points a game. If all goes as planned I think the Vikings will be in the sweet 16.

2A WEST

#3.OWEN(22-5) VS #11.WEST CALDWELL(18-7)

The warhorses eased by Parkwood in the opening round of the state tourney. West Caldwell finished 2nd in the competitive Southern District 7 Athletic Conference, with a (12-2) conference record, dropping one game to Lincolnton and one to E.Licoln. They opened up the tourney with a 7 point win against Monroe. West Caldwell has dual shooting threats, but so do the warhorses. I can see this being a close one, but gonna go with the home team in the end.

PICK:OWEN by 5

#12 VIKING COUNTRY

VIKING COUNTRY

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 372 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 04:51 AM

Good luck to the VIKINGS and the WARHORSES tonight, pulling for both to make the sweet 16!

#13 titanman27

titanman27

Established Member

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 09:40 AM

Hayesville @ Avery- Hayesville pulled off the upset in round 1 but will find the sledding much tougher vs the solid vikings in round 2. I look for Avery to win comfortably in this one.

Vikings by 15

West Caldwell @ Owen- Owen has had a great season and has really improved over the past few seasons. They are a good offensive team and ok defensively. West Caldwell will be the best team Owen has played all season. They are athletic and have played a very tough schedule. This should be a close one but I like the warriors to get a road win

Warriors by 5

#14 Appvol

Appvol

Established Member

• Members
  • 584 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 07:46 PM

Tweet from the Avery Journal

Avery boys vs. Hayesville about to tip. J.Puckett (AHS) out tonight due to illness. @acthshuddle @WELCOMETOTHEPIT @CarterCoSports.
VFL

#15 CoachMTurner

CoachMTurner

Varsity Team

• Coach
  • 159 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 08:02 PM

Owen wins 60-52

#16 VIKING COUNTRY

VIKING COUNTRY

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 372 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 12:26 AM

THUR. NIGHT FINAL SCORES

AVERY-64 HAYESVILLE-54

#17 VIKING COUNTRY

VIKING COUNTRY

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 372 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 12:44 AM

What a game in Newland tonight. Puckett was absent due to an stomach illness and he was surely missed. Avery's only lead in the 1st 3 quarters was a 5-4 lead early in the game. The Vikings stayed in striking distance though and late in the game with less than 3:00 minutes to go, the Vikings rallied from a 7 point deficient to a 10 point advantage. Heath really stepped up and played a huge roll with the absence of Puckett in the Vikings come from behind Victory. It wasn't a pretty game by no means, but I can't remember the last time I saw a team with more heart and determination. Extremely proud of these boys for the way they responded with their back against the wall. A win like this, when your best player is out and your back is against the wall and you come out refuse to lose, and pull off the win helps you grow as team. This time of year it's all about survive and advance. Now we got to get Puckett healthy, back to practice and ready for a huge game Saturday.

#18 VIKING COUNTRY

VIKING COUNTRY

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 372 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 12:49 AM

Owen wins 60-52

Congrats to the warhorses. Glad to see both the Vikings and the warhorses in the sweet 16.

#19 VIKING COUNTRY

VIKING COUNTRY

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 372 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 06:18 AM

UP COMING 3rd RD GAMES AND PREDICTIONS

1A WEST

#3.AVERY(23-4) VS #10.BISHOP(16-11)

Bishop finished 3rd place in the competitive Northwestern 1A conference behind WS Prep and Mount Airy with a (6-6) conference record, but Bishop have proven to be better than their record going on the road and upsetting Hiwassee Dam and N.Stanly in the 1st 2 rounds of the state tourney. They want to continue to be the road warriors in the 3rd round when they make a trip to Newland. The Vikings are coming off a game where they were missing Puckett due to a stomach illness and Prichard due to injury, the team rallied from a 7 point deficient in 4th to a 10 point victory to survive and advance to the 3rd round. Heath lead the charge and played a huge role in the come from behind win. The Vikings will have to get Puckett and Prichard back on the court for this game. Puckett's presences on the floor makes the Vikings much more dangerous. A side from scoring points he is able to get much needed rebounds, he has great "court vision" for assists and his ability to steal the ball opens up the transition game. He is a great ball handler and shooter and can take it to the basket on any given drive. He is the leader of this team and he has to be out there for this game. If Puckett plays and plays at a high level and the team uses the same heart and determination that they played with in his absence, I like our chances to advance in this game.

2A WEST

#2.FOREST HILLS(24-4) VS #3.OWEN(23-5)

Forest Hills won the regular season Rocky River 2A with a (9-1) conference record, they lost a heartbreaking tournament championship to Monroe. They have already beaten one of our conference members Hendo in the opening round of the state tourney. The warhorses are coming off a big 2nd round home win against West Caldwell. The warhorses are on the road in a tough environment against a good team. They must get off to a fast start, and keep the crowds involvement to a minimum, they must get key yellow jackets in foul trouble and win the turnover battle. It's gonna be a tough task for the warhorses but I'm gonna pick them to go on the road and get the upset win.

PICK:OWEN by 3.

#20 VikingNation

VikingNation

Established Member

• Members
  • 783 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 05:22 PM

Avery by 5

Owen by 5

Avery and Owen both will get their biggest test so far of the tournament. Good luck to the Vikings and Warhorses!!!

#21 titanman27

titanman27

Established Member

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 08:35 PM

Good job Avery. Owen had a great season one of their best in many years

#22 VIKING COUNTRY

VIKING COUNTRY

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 372 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 07:32 AM

I hate I had to work last night and missed the game. It looks like Heath had another big game, glad to see Puckett back in the line up, and according to the stats everyone chipped in nicely! Good team win. Congrats to the Vikings on making their 4th straight elite 8 appearance! We're not done yet though we have another big home game Tuesday.

#23 VIKING COUNTRY

VIKING COUNTRY

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 372 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 07:34 AM

Congrats on a great season warhorses, you guys have nothing to hang your heads about. You had an incredible season and I know you made Swannona very proud.

#24 VIKING COUNTRY

VIKING COUNTRY

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 372 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 07:42 AM

SAT. NIGHT FINAL SCORES

AVERY-57 BISHOP-47

FOREST HILLS-80 OWEN-71

#25 CoachMTurner

CoachMTurner

Varsity Team

• Coach
  • 159 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 08:57 AM

Yeah, we was tied with around 3 mins left. They hit a couple of deep contested 3's to open the game up to 6 point lead. We had to start fouling. They hit all there free throws at the end. They had missed them early. It was a great game. We came from around 18 down in the first half to swap the lead several times in the fourth quarter.

JeffChapman-Dynamic