Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo

Playoff team analysis

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 FHS1985

FHS1985

Established Member

• Members
  • 938 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 03:21 PM

I've had some thoughts about how to talk about playoff contenders and now that we have some idea of what the final seeding is I want to start a thread to talk about contenders-especially those that we know something about.  So below I am going to post about E. Burke's girls and Freedom's boys and girls.  I am going to include the following information:

Record

Maxpreps ranks (both overall in N.C. and in their class)

Best win

Worst loss

Seed 

Analysis (which is where I am going to put my personal opinion)

I had intended to do this for several other teams, but the delay in the seeding means that I don't have the time, so invite others to do the same for teams that they know something about.  Anyone who wants to add something, or take exception to, what I have to say about Freedom or East Burke is encouraged to do so.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.”

― C.S. Lewis

#2 FHS1985

FHS1985

Established Member

• Members
  • 938 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 03:30 PM

East Burke Girls-2A West

23-3

Ranked 2nd in 2A girls and 34th overall in N.C.

Best win: 57-50 over Freedom 

Worst Loss: 51-50 to R-S Central

Seeded 3W for seeding and 4 overall in the west region.

East Burke has never won a state championship in a team sport and this year's girls team may be the school's best opportunity.  The Lady Cavs are experienced and deep and they have played some fairly stiff competition.  They will be at home until at least the third round so long as they keep winning.  Savannah Coble is probably their top player, but they play a balanced team game with several other players making regular contributions.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.”

― C.S. Lewis

#3 FHS1985

FHS1985

Established Member

• Members
  • 938 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 03:39 PM

Freedom Girls-3A west

25-1

Ranked 3rd in 3A girls and 20th overall in N.C.

Best win: East Burke 63-49

Worst Loss: 57-50 to East Burke (only loss)

Seeded 1W for seeding and 3 overall in the west region

The Lady Patriots are the defending 3A girls state champions, but they lost a lot of depth off of last year's team.  They returned both starting guards in Amaryah Corpening and Ariyana Williams, who was named all-state last season.  Freedom is young in the post, but those young players have been making steady improvement as the season has progressed.  The Lady Patriots will not have to go on the road until a potential fourth round matchup at N. Iredell.

― C.S. Lewis

#4 npcfan

npcfan

JV Team

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 03:43 PM

What I don't agree with is the nchsaa looking at max preps rankings to help with all this. Maxpreps is a computer formula and hasn't watched one of these teams play. The flaw with a computer formula is it does not know when some teams are up by 20 and the coach puts in athletes that never get to play and the lead gets smaller. What it is forcing coaches to do is run up scores, keep starters in and work for even bigger blowouts to help with their computer ranking. Just saying.,...

#5 npcfan

npcfan

JV Team

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 03:44 PM

Why would Freedoms ladies travel to North when Freedom is number 1 seed? Am I missing something?

#6 FHS1985

FHS1985

Established Member

• Members
  • 938 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 03:48 PM

Freedom Boys-3A west

24-2

Ranked 1st in 3A boys and 20th overall in N.C.

Best win: 87-80 over McDowell

Worst Loss: 56-52 to Hickory

Seeded 1W for seeding and first overall in the west region

The Patriots are deep and athletic.  They can shoot the three ball, they run the court well and they are deep.  While a couple of key contributors are young (sophomores), both played extensively last season.  The main potential shortcoming that Freedom has is that they don't have a true big man, though Tobias Kanipe plays very well down low and Cam Edmonston has really stepped up his play this season.  Freedom will be at home throughout the playoffs and that is a huge advantage. However they should get a good test early from a normally athletic Concord team.

― C.S. Lewis

#7 FHS1985

FHS1985

Established Member

• Members
  • 938 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 03:49 PM

Why would Freedoms ladies travel to North when Freedom is number 1 seed? Am I missing something?

Freedom girls are seeded 1W and 3 overall in the west region.  N. Iredell is seeded 2MW and 2 overall in the west region.  N. Iredell would get to host.

― C.S. Lewis

#8 thekidd12

thekidd12

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 03:51 PM

Freedom girls are number 1 seed in the West  sub region but in the newfangled over all seeding used by NCHSAA they are 3rd overall seed in the West region.

Yea more numbers!!

OOPS sorry posted this at same time.

#9 npcfan

npcfan

JV Team

• Members
  • 67 posts

Thanks, did not realize that's how it works...

#10 FHS1985

FHS1985

Established Member

• Members
  • 938 posts

What I don't agree with is the nchsaa looking at max preps rankings to help with all this. Maxpreps is a computer formula and hasn't watched one of these teams play. The flaw with a computer formula is it does not know when some teams are up by 20 and the coach puts in athletes that never get to play and the lead gets smaller. What it is forcing coaches to do is run up scores, keep starters in and work for even bigger blowouts to help with their computer ranking. Just saying.,...

I agree with that, but as a means to break ties (and I think it is the third criteria for breaking ties after head-to-head and overall record) i think it is probably fair.

― C.S. Lewis

#11 npcfan

npcfan

JV Team

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 03:58 PM

Is Freedom anywhere as good as last year? Cuz they blew North's girls out in first quarter last year?

#12 FHS1985

FHS1985

Established Member

• Members
  • 938 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 04:02 PM

Is Freedom anywhere as good as last year? Cuz they blew North's girls out in first quarter last year?

Last year we were exceptional, this year we are very, very good.  Three of the girls on last year's team are playing collegiately and both Corpening and Williams are going on to play for D1 programs once they graduate.  I would say that it is tough for me to make a comparison because the girls who have replaced last year's departed stars are young (two sophomores and a freshman), but they have all stepped up as the season progressed and I think they have shown a lot of progress.

― C.S. Lewis

#13 npcfan

npcfan

JV Team

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 04:08 PM

Thanks, North's deal is top six players all were together last year and this year. They have good shooting guards and size also. If it happens would love to see a rematch!!! Hickory worries me in second round though.

#14 TitanNation79

TitanNation79

JV Team

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 05:20 PM

McDowell Titans - 4A Boys

Record: 24-2

MaxPreps Ranking: #32

Best Win: 62-52 vs Freedom

Worst Loss: 62-57 vs Hibriten

Seeding: #2 West Sub-Region/ #2 West Region

Analysis: McDowell has had a really great season running the table in the Mountain Athletic (3A/4A) Conference including an exciting 91-81 win in the Conf. Tournament Championship against Erwin. This a really balanced group (inside and outside) that can get scoring from several different areas. Not the deepest team out there but they have six players who can score in double figures and three of those six who can give you 20 or more on a given night. So, this isn't a case where you hope to ride on one star giving you a huge night. And for the opposition its been a challenge as to where to focus defensively.

Good 3-point shooting is one of the Titans strengths. Guards Divese Carson, Skyler McKinney key contributors on the wing. Senior forward Tanner Dillingham is the main inside presence, good hands around the basket and a solid rebounder.

Being the #2 regional seed gives McDowell home-court through the fourth round if they were to make that point.

#15 FHS1985

FHS1985

Established Member

• Members
  • 938 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 08:08 PM

For McDowell I think that if they can get past a potential matchup with Mt. Tabor in the second round they have a good chance to make it to the regionals.

Maybe we can get Chuteboxhero or someone else who is familiar with Forsyth county hoops to give us a rundown of the Spartans

― C.S. Lewis

#16 titanman27

titanman27

Established Member

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 08:26 PM

Mcdowell will have to play well vs Reagan in the first round before worrying about a potential Mt. Tabor matchup. Plus Mallard Creek is very good and may well beat Mt. Tabor.. The titans will need a loud crowd to help them advance because they will be outmatched athletically from the 2nd round on. I really like how balanced the titans are this season and how unselfish they are but they are going to need to step up their defensive intensity to make a deep run.

#17 TitanNation79

TitanNation79

JV Team

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 08:34 PM

For McDowell I think that if they can get past a potential matchup with Mt. Tabor in the second round they have a good chance to make it to the regionals.

Maybe we can get Chuteboxhero or someone else who is familiar with Forsyth county hoops to give us a rundown of the Spartans

I honestly would like to know a little about Reagan, they don't even have a roster listed on their MaxPreps page,

#18 MHSblueDevilsARE#1

MHSblueDevilsARE#1

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 6,116 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 08:55 PM

Thanks, North's deal is top six players all were together last year and this year. They have good shooting guards and size also. If it happens would love to see a rematch!!! Hickory worries me in second round though.

Hickory would definitely have an exceptional shot in that game.. their a bit of an under rated team

#19 titanman27

titanman27

Established Member

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 10:00 PM

Reagan plays in the same conference as Mt Tabor and West Forsyth so its a very rough schedule and they were a .500 team in conference play. I researched them some and it looks like they dont have a lot of size but have good team speed and quickness.

#20 FHS1985

FHS1985

Established Member

• Members
  • 938 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 09:42 AM

Taking a closer look at Concord's roster and schedule their big kid worries me a little, mainly because that the Pats do not have a true post.  He will likely cut down on our second shots, so we will likely have to be effective from beyond the arc.

Concord's Hamsah Nasirildeen, committed to FSU for football, shows his hoops skills.

― C.S. Lewis

#21 FHS1985

FHS1985

Established Member

• Members
  • 938 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 04:30 PM

After looking at Concord's schedule and stats they seem to be an up and down team.  They have managed a lot of close games against good teams and they are certainly dangerous, but their best win seems to have been a 51-45 victory against a mediocre Catholic team or an 87-76 win against Carson.  They played Hickory Ridge close twice and Robinson close once (they were also beaten badly by Robinson twice).  I think it's likely that the stats for their players are a little inflated (other than PPG or RPG) because their two leading scorers are reported as shooting above 60% from the field for the year.  They appear to have good height, but they don't seem to have been able to put the pieces together consistently on the year.

― C.S. Lewis

#22 MHSblueDevilsARE#1

MHSblueDevilsARE#1

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 6,116 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 10:18 PM

Mooresville Lady Devils

Record- 17-10 (went 9-3 down the stretch, of of those close losses to undefeated N Iredell)
Maxpreps ranks- 170 overall. 52 in 4A
Best win- Alexander Central (x2)
Worst loss- to salisbury in the Sam Moir Classic
Seed
Analysis- I think the Lady devils record is a bit misleading, as far as being a quality opponent. Idk where to find strength of schedule, but I'd bet theirs is pretty high... non conference, Mooresville tested themselves against very Good teams...

@ North meck (16-9)
Vs Hopewell (18-7)
Vs south rowan neutral site (14-10)
Vs Salisbury (neutral site) (20-2)
Vs North Iredell (x3)
Vs Alexander Central (x3)
Vs Hough (21-5)

For a young team that's a very strong schedule to play. Feel like it definitely set Mooresville up for their stretch run. Lady's devils have become very solid defensively, they rebound well, and they have a couple girls that have the ability to create their own shot or dish it out to others. Their freshman PG looked very very good down the stretch-- she will be a player to watch over these next 4 years

#23 sportsbroadcaster1

sportsbroadcaster1

Established Member

• Members
  • 947 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 01:24 AM

After looking at Concord's schedule and stats they seem to be an up and down team. They have managed a lot of close games against good teams and they are certainly dangerous, but their best win seems to have been a 51-45 victory against a mediocre Catholic team or an 87-76 win against Carson. They played Hickory Ridge close twice and Robinson close once (they were also beaten badly by Robinson twice). I think it's likely that the stats for their players are a little inflated (other than PPG or RPG) because their two leading scorers are reported as shooting above 60% from the field for the year. They appear to have good height, but they don't seem to have been able to put the pieces together consistently on the year.

Concord is up and down as you rightly mentioned in here Hamsah Nasirildeen he is a very good athletic player, he is a very great dunker, he also will use his height and blocked shot, he is good shooter overall. I've only Watch concord one time this season so if you want to know more about Concord make sure to go thecube.com and from there search for radiofreecabarrus you will be able to watch all of the Concord games from this season as well other Cabarrus county teams.

#24 Chute Boxe Hero

Chute Boxe Hero

• Members
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 05:20 AM

You absolutely can.....

Tabor's a tough,deep team.  They've got good size across the board.  Seem fairly comfortable playing at any tempo but probably prefer the halfcourt game.  The Spartans have three main guys.......Austin Gilyard, Cameron Robinson, and Nick Evtimov.  Gilyard's a highly competitive two-guard that has pretty good range and can get to the hoop.  Robinson is the Swiss Army knife.  He's 6-5. lengthy, and can defend any position you want.  Also fairly fast with the ball in his hands.  6-7 soph Evtimov is a battering ram on the inside with pretty decent footwork. This is actually Evtimov's fourth year playing varsity basketball (started at Forsyth Country Day).  Oh yeah....and if the last name looks familiar.....it is.  He's the son of former Wolfpack player Ilian Evtimov.

The rest of the guys in the rotation fill their roles adequately.  Rutter's a decent spot-up shooter and Bullard's a decent big off the bench.  Tabor's been consistent most of the year (the lone exception being a shocking loss to RJ Reynolds).  Only team's they've had problems with are West Forsyth and WS Prep (who are both loaded).  Tabor actually owns a win over Charlotte Christian (who, in turn, has defeated Greensboro Day).  

I think Tabor has what it takes to make Regionals.  However, I also think Mallard Creek will give them a really tough game in the opening round.

JeffChapman-Dynamic