Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo
- - - - -

Correlation btw Youth and HS Football?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 BD4443

BD4443

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 09:15 AM

Has anyone done any formal or informal research on the correlation between a solid youth football program and success at the HS level?

For instance I know that the MS age league that includes Catholic and the Union County schools seems to have a positive impact.

Union County has had a representative in the State championship game for 6 years in a row and we all know how successful Catholic has been over the years.

Can a program without a youth program and limited or no success in MS hope to compete at a high level against programs who DO have solid feeder systems?

If there are any HS coaches or knowledgeable fans on this forum would you let us know the status of your feeder programs? Thanks in advance.

#2 Ladge

Ladge

Veteran Member

• Coach
  • 288 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 10:03 AM

That Union County league is very competitive, I also like the structure they have of separate grade teams. They have 6,7,8th grade teams so more kids can be developed at appropriate levels.

#3 BlueDevilsBiggestFan

BlueDevilsBiggestFan

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 01:09 PM

I think Mooresville has a decent Youth/Middle/HS correlation but I do know Mooresville needs to add a NEW Middle school to relief some over crowding middle school and I believe this will help some of the students/athletes in Mooresville to have 2 middle school teams.

PEE-WEE team they have many teams now they have many teams to pick from now which can be a good n bad thing but More kids can be involved and help each age group better chances on playing and other stuff thats important for success!

HS wise; We usually dont have size but We have speed, athleticism but One problem is we have many charter schools and Private that do take some of our HS athletes. but Mooresville is a great place and Has a great coaching staff n athletes! 

#WeAreMooresville

~~BlueDevilsBiggestFan~~

#4 MHSblueDevilsARE#1

MHSblueDevilsARE#1

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 6,398 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 04:25 PM

Good middle school teams seem to translate to good JV teams here but not as strong on Varsity for whatever the reason.

#5 #1Raider

#1Raider

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 10:31 AM

I think the biggest problem with the rest of Iredell County HS Football is the school zones. Most of the areas in the North Iredell & West Iredell district is farm land. So they have a very large zone but the majority of it is farm animals and not football players. So until that issue is fixed those two programs will struggle. They may have a few years where they are competitive but mostly not. I also know with the feeder schools for those two programs struggle against the teams that are in city limits. For the vast majority of the time those kids in the city limits end up at Statesville or South Iredell. Which is why they tend to be the most competitive teams in Iredell County north of exit 36.

#6 dkj

dkj

Veteran Member

• Coach
  • 265 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 12:19 PM

I can't speak for any other areas, but for us I believe a strong youth program with good coaches who teach fundamentals would be invaluable. Right now we have no youth team.There are teams around that include a few of our future players, but not many. Most of the youth players go to our rival schools.

If we could get a youth team that drew from our attendance area I would support them to the hilt. However I have no interest in helping financially and otherwise with teams consisting primarily of players who will be playing against us in HS.

Our MS does the best they can but they have very little help as far as coaches, etc. and I don't know how much support they get within the school as far as trying to be as competitive as possible..

Some areas of Charlotte have really strong youth programs and Mt. Pleasant and Hickory Ridge I believe have good programs as well. The Concord Boy's Club has traditionally been a great resource for the kids who end up at Concord HS. I actually played at the Boy's Club growing up, (even though I went to Central Cabarrus for HS) and it helped me tremendously. By the time I got to HS I had been playing for 8 years already.

Believe it or not we get MANY kids as 9th graders who have never played the sport before. Even if a kid is athletic, he is still way behind the curve as far as becoming a football player.

I think there is a marked difference in communities who have good youth and feeder programs. The kids seem to be more savvy and understand the game better when they get to HS. 

#7 HHS2003

HHS2003

Established Member

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 03:59 PM

IMO a high participation rate and teaching fundamentals is more important than winning at the youth level. Also the kids need to enjoy playing football. I've seen youth Coaches act like Nick Saban and a 6 year old really cant grasp that.

#8 BlueDevilsBiggestFan

BlueDevilsBiggestFan

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 10:28 PM

I think the biggest problem with the rest of Iredell County HS Football is the school zones. Most of the areas in the North Iredell & West Iredell district is farm land. So they have a very large zone but the majority of it is farm animals and not football players. So until that issue is fixed those two programs will struggle. They may have a few years where they are competitive but mostly not. I also know with the feeder schools for those two programs struggle against the teams that are in city limits. For the vast majority of the time those kids in the city limits end up at Statesville or South Iredell. Which is why they tend to be the most competitive teams in Iredell County north of exit 36.

I agree I mean with WI for example if they could keep their athletes there instead of them going to Statesville or SI then WI would of had players like Brady Pope (SI) , Brock Hoffman (SHS) , Reshon Gore (SI) , Etc Etc .... WI have had some good athletes but a lot of them leave

For NI, They may get a transfer or 2 from Statesville or something but I feel like NI doesn't get many of the athletes esp since they are like 5-10 North of Statesville so they don't get many if city kids but they made the school a little lower so NI could get a few more kids

#WeAreMooresville

~~BlueDevilsBiggestFan~~

#9 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 04:41 AM

The trend has been to get 6 and 7 year olds to play tackle with travel teams in a youth organization. Parents and kids tire of this by 11 or 12. Too young in my opinion. Let kids be kids. Play in your own area. Let the experience be 2 hours a weekend instead of 6 hours of travel, eating out of town, and game prep.

I've been a part of it and it is out of control. Recreation leagues have been replaced by super leagues with lofty expectations. When I coached we traveled up to 1.5 hours each way to high schools. It was exhausting. The one year in a rec league for my kid only took 2 hours a weekend. Much more enjoyable for every family member. Now they recruit kids in a youth league from everywhere that will never be a part of high school system in hopes of the kid transferring. It rarely happens.

This same youth league here had four teams per age group. They now can only make one team. Kids don't get playing time they do not return. The only objective should be skill development and retention. Winning should not even be a factor.

#10 Shelby Lion

Shelby Lion

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 09:50 PM

Been coaching in the Cleveland County Youth football league for about 6 years now . Been on the league board for five of those years ! I think we have a pretty competitive league that produces future players for

Burns
Crest
Shelby

6 schools with three divisions including mighty mites , pee wees and midgets . I've seen some great kids come through our league and become stars at the next level .personally just as coach DKJ said above at this level I preach to these coaches to teach proper fundamentals . I mean let's break it down and do it right ! Me and my son have been part of upper Cleveland which eventually will be burns players . Coach Devine got word to us last year to come up ( us and union elementary) to get on the same page ! I've been praying for that for years and finally it was put to fruition! Same system even down to the numbering system , drills, fundamentals , system, formations etc ! Made a world of difference for my kids this past season! When they watched their high school heroes running plays on Friday to know they were about to run some of the same plays Saturday morning brought a level of excitement I haven't seen to that point ! Coach Devine, coach pack, coach Cogdill and that crowd took time to hang with the kids and show them they cared and what to expect in several years when they came to burns and the impact was immediate . My pee wees went 11-1 winning their first championship since 2006 . That level of excitement can be attributed to the staff at burns showing they want all of us to help these kids grow on and off the field ... if I prepare them at this age to learn to pull properly or block or tackle properly how they will be doing it in high school then it is absolutely worth it and so far working like a charm

Just my thoughts

#11 Shelby Lion

Shelby Lion

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 10:07 PM

GDG you are right we had a travel team pop up last year in Cleveland County that ended up taking some of the players from our league . They really ripped into the city park league and they struggled this past season to field full 11 man teams . The trend is leaning heavily for that

I guess we are lucky in Cleveland County we have a league at the city park where most of the kids are from the city schools and they play all their games at Shelby and have very good teams

The aforementioned Cleveland County youth football league plays our games at Crest and Burns and now add this new Seminole travel team and there are plenty of options

In my league the kid has to attend the school they play for and we have strict rules in place where parity seems to get better each year where all teams are competitive ...

My son has risen up through this league and I've met some wonderful folks throughout ( and the typical crazy parents on occasion as well) I simply tell them first practice " there are zero college scholarships being given this year " but what we will teach your child is proper fundamentals and how to properly play this game ! If we win some games along the way great , but my job is to prepare them for a future in football and how to block, tackle and learn this game and above all we are going to have fun regardless of a scoreboard ! That may rub some the wrong way but heck these are kids from K-6 so let's just have fun and learn something!!!'

Ok I'm done now

#12 dkj

dkj

Veteran Member

• Coach
  • 265 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 08:29 AM

Good posts SL....that is how it should be done.

#13 Wrigley

Wrigley

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,745 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 01:20 PM

GDG you are right we had a travel team pop up last year in Cleveland County that ended up taking some of the players from our league . They really ripped into the city park league and they struggled this past season to field full 11 man teams . The trend is leaning heavily for that

I guess we are lucky in Cleveland County we have a league at the city park where most of the kids are from the city schools and they play all their games at Shelby and have very good teams

The aforementioned Cleveland County youth football league plays our games at Crest and Burns and now add this new Seminole travel team and there are plenty of options

In my league the kid has to attend the school they play for and we have strict rules in place where parity seems to get better each year where all teams are competitive ...

My son has risen up through this league and I've met some wonderful folks throughout ( and the typical crazy parents on occasion as well) I simply tell them first practice " there are zero college scholarships being given this year " but what we will teach your child is proper fundamentals and how to properly play this game ! If we win some games along the way great , but my job is to prepare them for a future in football and how to block, tackle and learn this game and above all we are going to have fun regardless of a scoreboard ! That may rub some the wrong way but heck these are kids from K-6 so let's just have fun and learn something!!!'

Ok I'm done now

Does Ware start recuiting those leagues in the 3rd or 4th grade??? :)

#14 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 03:42 PM

No but Mallard Creek does. M. Williams.

#15 Wrigley

Wrigley

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,745 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 10:46 PM

Would have been tricky since Mallard Creek wasnt even a school when Marquise was playing in those leagues. Nice thought though.

#16 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,412 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 01:36 AM

Did Williams actually attend middle school any in Shelby?  He attended a North Meck feeder middle school in Charlotte but the area he lived in became part of the Mallard Creek district when it opened his freshman year.  Most of his friends ended up at North and he wanted to return to Cleveland County the summer before ninth grade.  He stated to me he would have attended Crest.  

#17 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 09:49 AM

Would have been tricky since Mallard Creek wasnt even a school when Marquise was playing in those leagues. Nice thought though.

Just messing with you Wrigley. I knew he was from Cleveland County.

JeffChapman-Dynamic