Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo
- - - - -

East Lincoln

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 coachE42

coachE42

Varsity Team

• Coach
  • 117 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 12:22 PM

Looks like Coach Byus has stepped down as head coach and AD

#2 Mustang sally

Mustang sally

Varsity Team

• Coach
  • 206 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 01:51 PM

What 

#3 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 17,996 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 01:51 PM

Yes he's retired.

#4 HHS2003

HHS2003

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 376 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 02:25 PM

Dang been a ton of coaches retire and or leave the state.

#5 EGFAN75

EGFAN75

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 197 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 02:34 PM

Hands down, one of the best coaches in NC (just look at East Lincoln's record prior to him taking over). I wonder if he moves down to South Carolina?

#6 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 02:51 PM

Everyone around here knew he was leaving in November. Man surrounded himself with loyal good assistant coaches. Those coaches were very smart at game planning. Byus is a class act. Very involved with supporting the youth teams.

Byus has a business so he most likely will be tending to it after coaching. He raised the bar at East Lincoln and in the Southern District 7 conference.

I hear a certain alumni has been fully aware the job would be open and is salivating. That person would do very well there. Nay, don't ask the name just use your noggin and think about it.

#7 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,245 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 02:55 PM

I think this is going to get a lot of interest.

#8 EGFAN75

EGFAN75

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 197 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 04:14 PM

Everyone around here knew he was leaving in November. Man surrounded himself with loyal good assistant coaches. Those coaches were very smart at game planning. Byus is a class act. Very involved with supporting the youth teams.

Byus has a business so he most likely will be tending to it after coaching. He raised the bar at East Lincoln and in the Southern District 7 conference.

I hear a certain alumni has been fully aware the job would be open and is salivating. That person would do very well there. Nay, don't ask the name just use your noggin and think about it.

Start with a B and end with an m?

#9 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 17,996 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 04:22 PM

Yes Matt Beam is an East Lincoln alumn.

#10 Steelers71

Steelers71

Established Member

• Coach
  • 672 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 08:26 PM

Coach Byus is a class act. He did incredible at East Lincoln. Also was one of the first to win games at Athens Drive before he went to Robbinsville. With his staff a Teacher EL, seems like a natural replacement would be there now.

#11 BlueDevilsBiggestFan

BlueDevilsBiggestFan

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,004 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 11:36 PM

Yes Matt Beam is an East Lincoln alumn.

Do u think he would leave Newton Convoer for EL ? I mean he had a good thing going there

#WeAreMooresville

~~BlueDevilsBiggestFan~~

#12 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 11:35 AM

I agree with Btango about the interest at East Lincoln. I don't know how many assistant coaches are teachers at the school but at least two. Study under Byus might raise the chance of someone on staff getting the position. Given they went outside to get Byus and being successful could also play a role.

The conference they play in will be called the South Fork Athletic Conference. Maiden will be down some and come in with a new coach. Lake Norman Charter is not exactly a power, and North Lincoln enters the conference coming down from 3A. With Coach Pack the new leader at NL he could make them more competitive. East Lincoln and Lincolnton are still the teams to beat. Newton-Conover finished 2-5 in the conference but I would expect given the conference they will finish much higher.

However gets the job should have success immediately with Graham still at QB the next two years and a good core coming back. Defensively they should get better this year. This coaching position is not a turn around job. They will win immediately. Add to the fact they have very few issues with kids in that area. The youth program is solid.

#13 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 05:27 AM

Do u think he would leave Newton Convoer for EL ? I mean he had a good thing going there

Not sure about the good thing portion. Beam came in with monster bulked up players that had no desire to hit. They look good in the weight room but did not produce. Football numbers in the Newton network are severely down. When I say they are down I mean cut in half. People every year give blown up expectations based on a youth team and the middle school wins. The fact is if you start 14 kids in middle school and that's all that play on both sides of the ball then you'll win using all your talent but never get kids to come back at the high school level. 14 kids will never cut it for varsity numbers.

The youth program in five years has been a disaster. Each age group has gone from 4 teams each to only one team per age bracket. They had hundreds of helmets and pads and cannot find anything now. They are even struggling to find practice places for youth due to vandalism and throwing their trash over the grass area while parents watch practice.

Beam's a good offensive coach and might stay here a while but he has applied for other jobs even after one year at Newton. Rumor is he applied at Mooresville after Capps. Others as well. If I were him I would apply immediately at East Lincoln. He lives in Cherryville so it's almost home. He graduated from East Lincoln. They have a QB and system in place that fits his style. It would allow him to take his kids to a good atmosphere where he will be the coach.

Now here's the negative. He will make more money at Newton. His salary is more than twice what is paid in other Catawba County schools and more than Lincoln County would pony up (Mustangs reference). Newton is one high school in a district where he gets no outside interference from other schools or rules across the board from county administrators.

#14 NCDevils94

NCDevils94

Rookie

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 07:54 PM

Could be wrong, but don't see Beam leaving NC right now. The next 4 to 5 years have the potential to be very good, and he knows it.

#15 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 07:51 AM

Hope so. Beam's facebook says he "will not be taking the East Lincoln job." I am not sure he was offered the job but some in the EL community wanted him considered. Beams came into Newton a few years too late. Had he came in immediately after Nick Bazzle I think things would be much different today. East Lincoln will get anyone they want. It's a terrific situation for any aspiring HC or veteran coach.

#16 NCDevils94

NCDevils94

Rookie

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 07:33 PM

The damage that was done to the program in the 2 years that Russell was the coach was devastating. It has been rough, but the next 4 to 5 years look promising and if the wins start coming again, so will the number of kids that come out to play.

#17 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 17,996 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 08:15 PM

The damage that was done to the program in the 2 years that Russell was the coach was devastating. It has been rough, but the next 4 to 5 years look promising and if the wins start coming again, so will the number of kids that come out to play.

I'm not here to defend anyone and I do share your frustrations when it comes to your team, but blaming Brint Russell for the last few years struggles isn't exactly fair either. It was he that led NC to their last conference crown.

#18 NCDevils94

NCDevils94

Rookie

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 10:12 PM

I'm not here to defend anyone and I do share your frustrations when it comes to your team, but blaming Brint Russell for the last few years struggles isn't exactly fair either. It was he that led NC to their last conference crown.

Brint Russell stepped into a great situation. The program that Bazzle had built was very good, and Russell was successful his first season because of the team he had coming back. When the core of Bazzle coached players was gone, so was the success. Russell went around town telling everybody how good he was instead of getting kids in the weight room. He refused to get involved in the youth program. Numbers have been down ever since. The group coming through over the next 4 to 5 years has been worked with a lot, and can hopefully turn it back around with some success. If the program can start winning, kids of all ages will play football again. Beam and several assistants are involved in the youth program.

#19 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 06:03 PM

Congratulations to East Lincoln and new head coach David Lubowicz. Coach Lubowicz was defensive coordinator for East Lincoln and coach since 2007. Nice to see EL wished to continue with what Mike Byus built and promote a loyal coach. The Mustangs have the right guy.

JeffChapman-Dynamic