Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo

St. Stephens' Mr. Dependable passes away

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 17,924 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 11:35 AM

Link:  Observer News Enterprise:  "Mr. Dependable" SSHS John Darden dies at 71

Longtime St. Stephens volunteer and equipment man John Darden died unexpectedly this week.  It's people like this that can often be the unsung heroes of football programs, he had volunteered for over a quarter-century for St. Stephens. 

#2 Mustang sally

Mustang sally

Varsity Team

• Coach
  • 200 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 11:38 AM

I coached there for 2 years and the guy was a incredible, so sad to see this.  The SS community lost a great one there

#3 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 02:38 PM

Mr. Darden was a great supporter. St. Stephens has many just like him. They don't win many games but their support is some of best in 3A. The home side is packed for the teams and the band. The Indians lost a good man. I was a member of that community for the first thirteen years of my life. Some of the best people in the state. Condolences to the family, friends, coaches, and St. Stephens community.

#4 Schmo

Schmo

Established Member

• Members
  • 962 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 02:59 PM

Always treated right at St Stephens, Good Folks !

#5 CHEERDUCK

CHEERDUCK

CP Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 4,344 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 07:17 AM

I met John when my son played at St. Stephens and always enjoyed being around him. We even talked of his days of playing football at Crossnore High and some of the games that he played in against the old Glen Alpine High School in Burke County. He will be missed for sure.

It's not where you start, but where you finish!

JeffChapman-Dynamic