Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo

North Carolina Individual State Wrestling Championships

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 2,048 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 09:02 AM

This is my favorite venue from youth to professional sports. I think it's fitting that it's held at a place with a name coliseum. Some 1000 high school athletes and coaches will diverge on the Greensboro Coliseum for three days of fighting bouts.

10,000 people watching, one on one competition with no place to hide in a crowd. The roar from above as the gladiators give their all in a quest for supremecy across the state. Qualifying for the final 16 is a big accomplishment. Not many young can make the claim. This is the one sport where classification means little. Young men wrestle young men all year from 1A to 4A with the only determining factor being what work and determination has been put into the season. It's the one sport where these gladiators become All Americans at Nationals from small to big schools from every region of the nation.

If you have never seen this event it is worth seeing at least once. There will be more disappoint for wrestlers this weekend than joy as only a few will reach the ultimate goal as state champion. For those who had no chance at a dual team title this is the place they attempt to get on the podium as either a champion or state placer. Good luck to all the state qualifiers.

#2 redy4friday

redy4friday

• Members
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 10:33 AM

Can't wait

#3 BroadwayJ

BroadwayJ

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 341 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 12:10 PM

Well said !

#4 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 2,048 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 03:49 PM

How you guys like that $8 day parking, $15 a day to watch (three day pass available)$8 Chick Fil A, $7 piece of pizza. I especially like the almost strip search by the yellow jacket people. I really like Greensboro but that event center charges are over the top. You take momma, sister, and little brother down for three days, not even stay in a hotel room, and that cost is pretty much like a trip to the beach. Have I done it? Many, many times? A casual fan on one day is not so much but for a wrestlers family it is over the top ridiculous.

The NCHSAA needs to address the issue somehow. The wrestling tourney is only one of many events happening during the weekend. Parking with RV and boat shows drive the parking deep into lower half of the parking area. Again for the one person going down it's a small price for that excitement but for a family it is over the top. I haven't bought one drink or one bite of food at that place in six years now. Get hydrated early and stuff yourself with KFC and when the yellow jackets try to strip search you just burp and fart and they will send you right in.

#5 BroadwayJ

BroadwayJ

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 341 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 07:00 AM

When you fart ask the yellow jackets if they smell popcorn. Instinct will step in, they'll take a deep breath and the strip search will end, QUICKLY! The price is steep but worth every penny.  

#6 redy4friday

redy4friday

• Members
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 07:54 AM

The prices are very ridiculous but they know parents will pay it to support their kid. Safe travels and good luck to the wrestlers. I am looking forward to a weekend of good wrestling.

#7 FHS1985

FHS1985

• Members
  • 1,094 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 02:00 PM

From what I could tell from trackwrestling.com both Spencer Leonhardt and Clay Beach are still in the running for state championships for Freedom.  How does where a wrestler finishes count towards the team score?  Both have advanced to the semifinal, so their eventual place should improve the Patriots team score when all is said and done.or I am thinking about how that works incorrectly?

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.”

― C.S. Lewis

#8 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 2,048 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 02:57 PM

Points are on the scoreboard when they advance. As they advance the placement point are added accordingly.

#9 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 2,048 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 06:39 PM

From what I could tell from trackwrestling.com both Spencer Leonhardt and Clay Beach are still in the running for state championships for Freedom.  How does where a wrestler finishes count towards the team score?  Both have advanced to the semifinal, so their eventual place should improve the Patriots team score when all is said and done.or I am thinking about how that works incorrectly?

Wow. Freedom's Beach shocks 3A with a win to wrestle tomorrow for a state title.

#10 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 2,048 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 06:51 PM

3A 126lbs- Tyler Gregor dominates St. Stephens Blake Baker. Baker tech fall and not even a point.
3A 120lbs West Iredell Shuford wins and on to the finals. Follows big brother Payton on a quest for a title. Payton won a title and came up short in one.
2A 126lbs Lone qualifier for East Burke Noah Gilbert makes the title match.

More to come. Big one on now as Enka's Daub vs Mainz for Jacksonville at 145 in 3A

#11 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 2,048 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 06:56 PM

Congrats Freedom1985. Spencer Leonhardt also makes the finals.

#12 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 2,048 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 07:04 PM

Carrboro leads after today. Revenge time and a chance at that title.

#13 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 2,048 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 07:21 PM

Sudden victory win by Mainz of Jacksonville over Daub of Enka. The match that was highly anticipated. Extra periods is the way it should be.

Skyler Spurrier has a chance to become the first title winner in Maiden history tomorrow.

Quincy Monday at 132 for Carrboro and two time champ Sammy Peticos of Chase at 138 make the finals. This is no surprise. One of these two should be the most outstanding wrestler of the championships if they win.

I would say the biggest surprise of the semifinals was Beach of Freedom High. Good luck to both Leonhardt and Beach tomorrow. They will be representing the Northwest 3A/4A.

#14 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 2,048 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 07:24 PM

1A Rosewood holds a lead and should win a tourney title.

2A Carrboro is leading every class and should take the title as well.

#15 Appvol

Appvol

Established Member

• Members
  • 662 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 07:26 PM

Its good to see Avery with 2 in the finals so far.The wrestling club is going to pay off for the future kids coming up.

VFL

#16 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 2,048 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 07:40 PM

Huge shocker. Newton-Conover Andy Henze at 170lbs was not the 170 starter but a dismissal of the 2nd ranked starter leads to a trip to the final match tomorrow against Chase High wrestler Emory.

#17 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 2,048 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 07:43 PM

Its good to see Avery with 2 in the finals so far.The wrestling club is going to pay off for the future kids coming up.

That's great. Avery has been down a number of years. They were a fierce program for a long time. Avery is the home or four time champ and head wrestling coach Bentley at Appalachian State. Bentley was 144-0 during high school.

#18 Appvol

Appvol

Established Member

• Members
  • 662 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 07:50 PM

I know when I was at Avery John Mark was younger and would wrestle with us at practice.

VFL

#19 Appvol

Appvol

Established Member

• Members
  • 662 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 07:51 PM

That's great. Avery has been down a number of years. They were a fierce program for a long time. Avery is the home or four time champ and head wrestling coach Bentley at Appalachian State.

Don't forget National champ too.

VFL

#20 FHS1985

FHS1985

• Members
  • 1,094 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 07:51 PM

Thanks for the updates GDG.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.”

― C.S. Lewis

#21 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 2,048 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 08:02 PM

Don't forget National champ too.

Oh yes. And three time ACC champ at Carolina with the highest win percentage in school history.

#22 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 2,048 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 08:03 PM

Congrats to Mitchell's Todd Self at 285. Beast at football and wrestling. LOL. Someone on this site is not going to sleep tonight. Take a sleeping pill buddy.

#23 Appvol

Appvol

Established Member

• Members
  • 662 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 08:10 PM

Oh yes. And three time ACC champ at Carolina with the highest win percentage in school history.

Just got off the phone with a friend who is with John Mark at the states.

VFL

#24 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 2,048 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 04:18 PM

I know it may seem petty but good grief can the state not service these worn out mats.

Talked to a couple parents who have kids in the finals. They seemed very calm. I'm sitting up here with Brevard High people today. Hopefully it will not get rowdy as I heard in the West Forsyth section was after the Ethan Hnasco match yesterday.

#25 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 2,048 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 05:13 PM

Starting at 220 tonight. Most interesting for me is 3a Peyton Wilson of Orange. Will he
go unbeaten and 43-0. Lots of football interest in this kid by big schools. He's an amazing athlete for the big class.

JeffChapman-Dynamic