Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo

Eddins out at West Montgomery: Who's the next guy?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 WarriorLife04'

WarriorLife04'

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 414 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 03:15 PM

Now Eddins is gone, who takes over? Any prospects?

#2 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 18,430 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 05:56 PM

I think the first two major prospects are on staff in Ken Neal and James Johnson.  Both have head coaching experience and would be tremendous hires.  You have to know that with former state championship winning head coach Benji Brown as the principal, he won't make a bad hire and allow the program to go in reverse. 

The major outside name I would strongly believe gets some attention would be former West Rowan head coach Scott Young.  He and Coach Brown were on staff together at Davie County and they're very close even today.  If that was the route Brown went in, I don't think you would get much argument from me. 

Either way, I do think you'll see some great coaches show interest.  This is one of the premier 1A programs and it has a lot to offer. 

However, there is one very large elephant looming in the room and that's the fact that West Montgomery and East Montgomery will consolidate into one central Montgomery HS.  I have heard conflicting reports this week, one was that the more senior of the head coaches (now Ben Hammer at East) would get the nod, but I was told today that the new position will be opened up and not given to a specific county coach. 

#3 WarriorLife04'

WarriorLife04'

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 414 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 06:29 PM

Couldn't agree more. Either way they inherit a great team and a community full of support.

#4 WarriorLife04'

WarriorLife04'

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 414 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 09:02 PM

And one way to look at it is a HC can possibly take the opportunity to not only take over a great program but build relationships to possibly have a chance to be HC of new school. That's a positive way to look at it

#5 Nipit

Nipit

Veteran Member

• Coach
  • 271 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 09:19 AM

I would agree with you on Scott Young.  Seasoned, experienced...and very capable of walking in with little risk.  Coach Johnson and coach Neal both know the kids and the routine.  Other outsiders who would make a splash?  Luke Little.  Just a random thought since you mentioned him in a previous post.

#6 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 18,430 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 10:50 AM

Other outsiders who would make a splash?  Luke Little.  Just a random thought since you mentioned him in a previous post.

While I agree 100%, I have spoke with Coach Little and I don't think he has any interest.  

#7 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 18,430 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 10:52 AM

I just received this message from the superintendent about the job posting. 

Subject:  Head Football Coach West Montgomery High School. 

Looking for a strong leader at a tradition-rich program with great community support.  This person must be able to impact student athletes beyond the field with character development as well as academic success. Athletic director position my be part of this package. Qualified candidates should contact Principal Benjie Brown by sending a letter of interest and resume to benjie.brown@montgomery.k12.nc.us"

#8 hbnw

hbnw

JV Team

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 02:47 PM

The combination of the two schools could be a major factor in anyone taking this job.  Could be here today and gone tomorrow type of thing.  Honestly the new coach at WMHS could go 10-1 and that one loss be to EMHS and not have a head coaching job the next year.  Nick Eddins himself had stated that EMHS has a ton of talent coming back next season, and should be better than this past season.  It will be interesting to see who is interested in this job with the pending merger of schools.  I don't see Coach Hammer leaving EMHS for WMHS.  He has a good thing going and as previous mentioned a ton of talent returning.  Good Luck in the Mount...

#9 WM1977

WM1977

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 04:37 PM

West Montgomery returns 8 on offense and 8 on defense. West had numerous starting lineups and it's hard to call a few of them starters or second string. But the numbers reflect players that started and played a majority of snaps during the season. QB has been groomed for the last 3 years and ready to shine. He brings more options to the offense which should largely remain unchanged. This is a program. Not a one season wonder. Rhone will be one of the top backs in 1A if not all of NC. The OL was mainly Fr. and Soph. with one or two Sr.s depending on injuries and the lineup. Not to mention another season in the weight room and the core of Swan, Callicut and the coaches that are there since Coach Eddins departed. A coach who is interested in coaching one of the premier 1A programs in the state with historically good talent pool could easily come in here and have a few successful years and if the new school opens without WMCS being able to play in their first year or two could take the Central High job. Let's not take anything away from Hammer but what has he done? He has a once in a generation RB with McKinney and still couldn't beat WMHS with 2A numbers. Let's see what he does in their new conference. It's definitely not a tough one but neither is the YVC. But, playoffs in 1A are and you see what WMHS has done over the last ten years. I think that record speaks volumes as opposed to running up your RBs stats against Chatham Central, Albemarle, South Davidson etc.........

Oh as far as Hammer leaving EMHS for WMHS...did you think Neal would? One reason if offered keeps Hammer at EMHS and it's McKinney and the overwhelming desire he has to stop the 11 losing streak to WMHS. But, that offer will never be floated. There will be plenty of coaches with a desire to come to WMHS to apply and want to continue a winning tradition.

#10 sweaterfee

sweaterfee

JV Team

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 05:32 PM

West Montgomery returns 8 on offense and 8 on defense. West had numerous starting lineups and it's hard to call a few of them starters or second string. But the numbers reflect players that started and played a majority of snaps during the season. QB has been groomed for the last 3 years and ready to shine. He brings more options to the offense which should largely remain unchanged. This is a program. Not a one season wonder. Rhone will be one of the top backs in 1A if not all of NC. The OL was mainly Fr. and Soph. with one or two Sr.s depending on injuries and the lineup. Not to mention another season in the weight room and the core of Swan, Callicut and the coaches that are there since Coach Eddins departed. A coach who is interested in coaching one of the premier 1A programs in the state with historically good talent pool could easily come in here and have a few successful years and if the new school opens without WMCS being able to play in their first year or two could take the Central High job. Let's not take anything away from Hammer but what has he done? He has a once in a generation RB with McKinney and still couldn't beat WMHS with 2A numbers. Let's see what he does in their new conference. It's definitely not a tough one but neither is the YVC. But, playoffs in 1A are and you see what WMHS has done over the last ten years. I think that record speaks volumes as opposed to running up your RBs stats against Chatham Central, Albemarle, South Davidson etc.........

Oh as far as Hammer leaving EMHS for WMHS...did you think Neal would? One reason if offered keeps Hammer at EMHS and it's McKinney and the overwhelming desire he has to stop the 11 losing streak to WMHS. But, that offer will never be floated. There will be plenty of coaches with a desire to come to WMHS to apply and want to continue a winning tradition.

You are correct, WM will be loaded next year and whoever they hire will be lucky to come to Wadeville. A little fact check on "running up your RBs stats against Chatham Central , Albemarle , South Davidson etc....." Mckinney had 6 carries vs Chatham Central, that is right  6. 13 vs Albemarle ( pretty sure didnt play in 2nd half in either) and didnt play South Davidson at all, so that would not be running up stats in anyone's estimation. 

Back to the topic at hand, I wouldnt be surprised if the hire came from within , considering there is a very high likely hood that the job doesnt exist in 3 years. I would think it would be tough to get an established HC to move here ( especially if he has a family) for a couple of years, but who knows.

#11 Sam Spencer

Sam Spencer

Varsity Team

• Coach
  • 237 posts
  • Email:CoachSpencer82@yahoo.com

Posted 14 February 2017 - 07:00 PM

Danny Akins?  Just a thought.

#12 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 18,430 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 07:16 PM

Danny Akins?  Just a thought.

He'd be good.  

#13 WarriorLife04'

WarriorLife04'

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 414 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 08:15 PM

WMHS will end up with a great coach regardless of the new school. Its still one of the most attractive 1A programs in the State. Need a seasoned veteran in my opinion...No time for a young coach to sharpen his teeth. If he succeeds at WM his opportunity to slide in as HC of new school very likely.

#14 WarriorLife04'

WarriorLife04'

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 414 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 08:20 PM

Let's bring B.W. out of retirement..Back to old stomping grounds

#15 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 18,430 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 08:22 PM

WMHS will end up with a great coach regardless of the new school. Its still one of the most attractive 1A programs in the State. Need a seasoned veteran in my opinion...No time for a young coach to sharpen his teeth. If he succeeds at WM his opportunity to slide in as HC of new school very likely.

Nick Eddins was a relative young guy when he took over.  There are some young guys I would consider. 

1. Daniel Crosby: Defensive Coord. at Central Cabarrus

2. Justin Allred:  Offensive Coord. at J.H. Rose

3. Foster Cates:  Assistant Coach at Lee County

4. Dave Paddock:  Defensive Coord. at East Montgomery 

5. JP Price:  Offensive Coord. at Wallace-Rose Hill

#16 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 18,430 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 08:25 PM

Add Barry Merrit to that list, assistant coach at A.L. Brown, lives in Union Co., he's got student assistant experience and 2 national championship rings from Appalachian State, and has been at A.C. Reynolds, North Iredell as D.C., Pinecrest, and Kannapolis.  He's the son of a head coach and he knows his stuff.  I'd hire him in a heartbeat. 

#17 WarriorLife04'

WarriorLife04'

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 414 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 08:26 PM

Would love to see Price. That means Wing T back at WM.

#18 WM1977

WM1977

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 08:31 PM

I don't think the search will last long. Possibly already finished........stay tuned.

#19 WarriorLife04'

WarriorLife04'

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 414 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 08:32 PM

Inside hire??

#20 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 18,430 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 08:33 PM

I don't think the search will last long. Possibly already finished........stay tuned.

You are probably right. 

#21 WarriorLife04'

WarriorLife04'

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 414 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 08:34 PM

Whoever it is will inherit a strong and physical RB. Sky is the limit with that kid.

#22 BlueDevilsBiggestFan

BlueDevilsBiggestFan

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,330 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 11:52 PM

Add Barry Merrit to that list, assistant coach at A.L. Brown, lives in Union Co., he's got student assistant experience and 2 national championship rings from Appalachian State, and has been at A.C. Reynolds, North Iredell as D.C., Pinecrest, and Kannapolis. He's the son of a head coach and he knows his stuff. I'd hire him in a heartbeat.

Very humble guy and he very respectful guy, He would be a Gem to any program

#WeAreMooresville

~~BlueDevilsBiggestFan~~

#23 Nipit

Nipit

Veteran Member

• Coach
  • 271 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 08:16 AM

B. Brown  should ask his dad to take it for a year.  Now that Brown would bring a title ...no doubt.

#24 sweaterfee

sweaterfee

JV Team

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 08:45 AM

Is there anything that says a principal can't coach his/her school?

#25 FBfan70

FBfan70

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 09:09 AM

The obvious picks would be Johnson or Neal who are already on staff. Both have HC experience. In the end I think it's one of these two who gets it. I think both would do great jobs. Others with experience I'd consider...

Luke Little from Whiteville. He's already been mentioned and I think he'd do very well. Did a good job when he was in the conference at South Stanly.

Mike Vogt from North Moore. Guy has done wonders turning that program around. Put him those athletes and I think he'd keep it right on rolling at West.

Russel Stone. Should be coaching in the YVC at Albemarle right now. Would be an out of the park home run hire for West.

JeffChapman-Dynamic