Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo

WHC Conference Tournament 2016-2017

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 VikingNation

VikingNation

Established Member

• Members
  • 795 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 02:21 AM

Friday Feb 10th Varsity Boys

(All games at higher seed)

#5 Hendo @ #4 Mitchell - 6:00pm

#6 Polk @ #3 Heritage - 6:00pm

#7 Madison @ #2 Owen - 7:30pm

#1 Avery - bye

Friday Feb 10th Varsity Girls

(All games at higher seed)

#5 Mitchell @ #4 Owen - 6:00pm

#6 Hendo @ #3 Madison - 6:00pm

#7 Polk @ #2 Avery - 6:00pm

#1 Heritage - bye

Tuesday Feb 14th

( At Owen High School)

Mitchell / Owen (winner) VS #1 Heritage (Varsity Girls) - 4:00pm

Hendo / Mitchell (winner) VS #1 Avery (Varsity Boys) -  5:30pm

Hendo / Madison (winner) VS Avery / Polk (winner) (Varsity Girls) - 7:00pm

Polk / Heritage (winner) VS Madison / Owen (winner) (Varsity Boys) - 8:30pm

Friday Feb 17th

( WHC Championships At Owen High School)

JV Girls

Avery VS Heritage - 4:00pm

JV Boys

Hendo VS Heritage - 5:30pm

Varsity Girls - 7:00pm

Varsity Boys - 8:30pm

#2 wncbowhunter

wncbowhunter

Established Member

• Members
  • 525 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 08:26 AM

Could be an interesting tournament. Avery is still king until someone dethrones them, however I would not be surprised to see one of Owen, Mitchell or Heritage come out on top. All are playing good ball at this time.

On the women's side. Same as with Avery with the boys, until someone knocks off Heritage they rule the roost. I don't see as many upset possibilities as with the guys but could still see someone pulling off an upset and coming out on top. The top of this conference is as balanced as any in WNC. I don't think any team is as good as say Cherokee but every game past Polk vs. Avery and Hendo vs. Madison could come down to the end. 

In the end I will say 

Guys: Owen

Women: Heritage

#3 VikingNation

VikingNation

Established Member

• Members
  • 795 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 05:58 AM

Updated WHC Conference Tournament 2016-2017

Tuesday Feb 14th Semifinals at Owen High School

#4 Owen VS #1 Heritage (Varsity Girls) 4:00pm

#5 Hendo VS #1 Avery (Varsity Boys) 5:30pm

#3 Madison VS #2 Avery (Varsity Girls) 7:00pm

#3 Heritage VS #2 Owen (Varsity Boys) 8:30pm

#4 VIKING COUNTRY

VIKING COUNTRY

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 02:13 AM

UPCOMING GAMES AND PREDICTIONS

BOYS VARSITY

#1.AVERY(19-4),(12-0) VS #5.HENDO(12-8),(5-7)

Few were expecting the Bearcats to whoop up on the mountaineers, but the Bearcats have proven their not quiet done with the WHC yet. They want to leave with the tournament championship and they want to be the ones to end the Vikings impressive streak. The Vikes have been waiting patiently to see who their opponent might be. The Vikings have got to play lights out in this tournament to secure another conference tournament championship. They need to get off to a faster, smoother start in the 1st quarter, force turnovers, get transition points, and control the tempo, if the Vikes can do that I see them going to their 4th conservative conference championship.

#2.OWEN(20-4),(9-3) VS #3.HERITAGE(14-8),(8-4)

The warhorses are dangerous, they score a ton of points and have just gotten better since the season started. After hanging 98 on the Pats, and hosting the conference tournament, the warhorses have to like their chances. The Cougars are no slouches themselves. The Cougars just hung 85 on the woulverines in the 1st round. The Cougars beat the warhorses in Burnsville earlier this season and just come up short in Swannona. This should be a very good intense game between these 2.

PICK:OWEN by 1

VARSITY GIRLS

#1.HERITAGE(19-2),(11-1) VS #4.OWEN(17-7),(6-6)

Lady Cougars have been impressive. I see them cruising to the conference championship.

PICK:LADY COUGARS by 10

#2.AVERY(19-6),(10-2) VS #3.MADISON(19-6),(8-4)

In the 1st meeting between these 2 the lady Vikings dominated, but the lady pats have improved over the course of the season. I feel that the lady Vikes will be too much for the lady pats.

#5 CoachMTurner

CoachMTurner

Varsity Team

• Coach
  • 169 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 04:03 PM

Semifinal time!!!!

#6 VIKING COUNTRY

VIKING COUNTRY

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 10:50 PM

TUE. NIGHT FINAL SCORES

BOYS VARSITY

#1.AVERY-64 #5.HENDO-44

#2.OWEN-56 #3.HERITAGE-55

VARSITY GIRLS

#1.HERITAGE-49 #4.OWEN-39

#2.AVERY-64 #3.MADISON-57

#7 CoachMTurner

CoachMTurner

Varsity Team

• Coach
  • 169 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 11:23 PM

What a ballgame between us and heritage to finish the night off. Half court buzzer beater

#8 VikingNation

VikingNation

Established Member

• Members
  • 795 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 12:05 AM

UPDATED WHC TOURNAMENT 2016-2017

Friday Feb 17th WHC Championships at Owen High School

JV Girls

JV Boys

Heritage VS Hendo - 5:30pm

Varsity Girls

#1 Heritage VS #2 Avery - 7:00pm

Varsity Boys

#1 Avery VS #2 Owen - 8:30pm

#9 VIKING COUNTRY

VIKING COUNTRY

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 12:50 AM

What a ballgame between us and heritage to finish the night off. Half court buzzer beater

Wow I knew it would be an intense game... I hit the nail right on the head with my predictions I picked Owen by 1, and the lady cougars by 10.

#10 VIKING COUNTRY

VIKING COUNTRY

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 12:53 AM

Great showing for the Vikings tonight. Come out, was very aggressive. Attacked the glass, got rebounds, and transition points. Glad to see the some of the jv's get some playing time in the conference tournament. Now on to the big game against a very good warhorse team.

#11 BlueDevilsBiggestFan

BlueDevilsBiggestFan

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,330 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 04:20 PM

UPDATED WHC TOURNAMENT 2016-2017

Friday Feb 17th WHC Championships at Owen High School

JV Girls

JV Boys

Heritage VS Avery - 5:30pm

Varsity Girls

#1 Heritage VS #2 Avery - 7:00pm

Varsity Boys

#1 Avery VS #2 Owen - 8:30pm

Didn't know they do a conference tournament for JVs

#WeAreMooresville

~~BlueDevilsBiggestFan~~

#12 VikingNation

VikingNation

Established Member

• Members
  • 795 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 12:44 AM

Didn't know they do a conference tournament for JVs

They don't do a whole conference tournament. They just take the top two JV teams (from girls and boys) from the regular season, and they play one game on the last day of the tournament.

#13 BlueDevilsBiggestFan

BlueDevilsBiggestFan

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,330 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 03:03 AM

They don't do a whole conference tournament. They just take the top two JV teams (from girls and boys) from the regular season, and they play one game on the last day of the tournament.

Got ya but not many Conference do that so

#WeAreMooresville

~~BlueDevilsBiggestFan~~

#14 VikingNation

VikingNation

Established Member

• Members
  • 795 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 12:20 AM

Got ya but not many Conference do that so

Yeah I like the idea of showing the JV squads that they are the future of this conference. I just wish the JV's had a full conference tournament. They could have it at the middle school of the hosting high school. It would just be more door money for the schools.

#15 VIKING COUNTRY

VIKING COUNTRY

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 06:41 AM

CONFERENCE CHAMPIONSHIP GAMES

2/17

VARSITY BOYS

#1.AVERY(20-4),(12-0) VS #2.OWEN(21-4),(9-3)

It's conference championship time for these 2 teams. The warhorses coming off the high of a heart wrenching half court buzzer beater to stun the Cougars and all in attendance last Tuesday. They have only gotten better since them and the Vikings met in Swannona, a game the Vikings were able to escape with a 2 point win. The Vikings do know a thing or 2 about winning close games, and conference games for that matter as they have an impressive streak of their own. This will be their 4th straight conference championship appearance and if they can come away with the victory it would be their 56th consecutive conference win. In order for the Vikings to bring home a 4th consecutive conference championship, they must get off of a fast start, attack the glass, win the rebound war, get to the free throw line, get some key warhorses in foul trouble. I said it before the tournament started, I believe that the warhorses are a very dangerous team. They are playing at such a high level, they have home court advantage, and the Vikings have to play lights out for all 4 quarters to win this one. With that said it should be a great championship game.

VARSITY GIRLS

#1.HERITAGE(20-2),(11-1) VS #2.AVERY(20-6),(10-2)

The lady Cougars have ripped through conference play only getting tripped up once on the road to the lady pats. The lady Vikings have had an impressive season too, they only have 2 conference losses to the lady Cougars. They got whooped pretty bad in the 1st meeting in Burnsville and had their back against the wall down 17 at home against the lady Cougars. The lady Vikings then showed amazing heart coming back to get as close as 4 before the lady Cougars put it away. The lady Vikings must play with the same intensity as they did against Heritage in that 2nd half home loss, but they must do it all game. They attacked the basket and got alot of free throw opportunities in the 2nd half of that game, they must do that all game and be more efficient when they have those opportunities. I think this will be a great competitive game and it has the chance to be a huge upset.

JV BOYS

HERITAGE VS HENDO

Both the junior cougars and the junior Bearcats have had impressive seasons. They finish at the top of the conference and are going to fight it out for a conference championship. I just think that it being the Bearcats last year in the conference they got more to play for.

PICK:JUNIOR BEARCATS by 3

JV GIRLS

AVERY VS HERITAGE

Both lady squads have had great seasons and look to get the best of each other in the conference championship. Avery has a chance to bring home 3 different conference championships tonight, Heritage also has the chance to bring home 3 conference championships tonight. It's gonna be big day for these 2 programs for sure. Good luck to all the Avery teams, let's bring all 3 championships to Newland.

#16 CoachMTurner

CoachMTurner

Varsity Team

• Coach
  • 169 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 10:42 PM

Wow, what a set of conference championship games tonight!!!

#17 VikingNation

VikingNation

Established Member

• Members
  • 795 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 01:22 AM

Wow, what a set of conference championship games tonight!!!

What an atmosphere, Owen was a great host for the tournament this year. The Varsity Girls and Boys games both go down to the end. Thanks again to Owen High School they put on a memorable Western Highlands Tournament one that will be remembered. Good luck to all WHC teams during the State Tournament.

#18 VIKING COUNTRY

VIKING COUNTRY

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 02:37 AM

First congrats to both teams. Avery and Owen put on a show tonight for all in attendance. There is no doubt that this was the best 2 teams in the conference. Both teams trailed in this game Owen trailed by as much as 10 in the 1st half and battled back to lead by as much as 6 in the 3rd. Avery trailed by as much as 6 and battled back to find a way to win. Neither team gave up and it made for a intense and fantastic finish that both fan bases can be really be proud of. Owen can certainly make some noise in the 2a state tourney. Congrats to Vikings on another hard fought journey this season. This is an amazing group of kids, parents, and coaching staff. They have now secured their 4th straight conference championship and their 56th consecutive conference win and we are not done yet! I am looking forward to seeing this group of young men in the state tourney! Good luck to all the conference teams in the state tournament.

#19 VIKING COUNTRY

VIKING COUNTRY

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 02:45 AM

A heart breaking loss for the lady Vikings tonight. The lady Cougars and the lady Vikings put on a show too and the lady Vikes have nothing to hang their heads about. Both teams left it all out on the court. I have enjoyed seeing these girls play this season and wish them and all the conference teams luck in the state tourney. Congrats to all the Viking squads, they represented our little county well and brought 2 championships home to Newland.

JeffChapman-Dynamic