Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo
- - - - -

Another shakeup in Fayetteville, Jack Britt open

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 18,215 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 09:55 PM

Jack Britt head football coach Brian Rimpf has stepped down to become the head football coach at Camden HS in South Carolina.  

This is the second major head coach to leave Cumberland County in the past two weeks. 

Rimpf compiled a 42-23 record leading the Bucs and reached the 4A finals in his first season after taking over for Richard Bailey.  

While there has been a very noticeable decline at Britt, I still think this is the premier coaching job in the county and I'm sure the line will be a mile long of coaches wanting to be the next head man.  

They do return most of their starters from last season's 3-8 team but the conference schedule will get much tougher as they enter the MId-Southeastern or whatever they're going to call the new league. 

#2 Raider2015

Raider2015

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 10:03 PM

Wow

#3 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 18,215 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 10:23 PM

Who do you think would be on the short list to take over at Jack Britt? Here are some of the coaches that came to mind first. I'm sure there are more but here is a start.

1. Scott Barbour: Former Douglas Byrd head coach and current assistant at Scotland. Barbour was a former coordinator at Britt under Bailey and would be a home run hire for the Bucs.

2. Keith Wood: Another former Britt assistant, he's currently at Scotland and was also the former head coach at Fairmont.

3. Russell Stone: Former Douglas Byrd head coach lives about 2 miles from Britt and I'm certain that if given another chance, would be a dynamite hire.

4. Brian Randolph: Former Britt and Byrd assistant, this is a guy who's long overdue for a shot at being a head coach.

5. Mike Sartain: Current Britt assistant and former head coach at East Carteret, he would be tge logical and a very good choice if they wanted to hire from within. In my opinion, he really set the stage for the current success at East Carteret with his implementation of a strong weight program and establishing a solid foundation.

6. Luke Little: Head coach at Whiteville, I could see him moving up from the 1A ranks and really exploding on the scene as a 4A head coach. He's got 76 wins and a rising star in the coaching ranks in my opinion.

7. George Coltharp: Former head coach at Red Springs, Westover, and Western Harnett, I think there is still a fire in him to be a head coach and with his air-raid system, he could light up the scoreboard.

8. Ben Hammer: Head coach at East Montgomery, he's another rising star in the coaching ranks and I could see him really doing well at a big-time job like this.

9. Mike Vogt: See above, another younger head coach who's primed and ready for a big-time job.

10. Jack Curlings: Brother of New Bern head coach Bobby Curlings, he's recently retired in SC and has Sandhills area roots. Could be a very solid hire.

11. Tripp Stone: I'm not sure if he would leave Mallard Creek for JB, but he's a well known commodity in Cumberland County and would be a helluva coach for the Bucs.

12. Tyler Hackett: Assistant at Gray's Creek, he was an assistant on the '16 Shrine Bowl staff and is primed for a head coaching opportunity.

13. Bruce McClelland: A veteran assistant at Terry Sanford, he's another coach long overdue for a head coaching job. I also anticipate he'll be the top prospect at Terry Sanford.

14. Mike Castellano: Former Richmond and Middle Creek head coach, not sure of his plans but he'd be a great fit considering his knowledge of the conference.

15. Steve Burdeau: Coordinator at Richmond County, he's another coach that is overdue for a head coaching opportunity. I would consider him one of the top head coaching prospects in NC from the assistant ranks.

16. Jon Sherman: Head coach at Purnell Swett, he's got experience coaching in Cumberland Co. as an assistant and would be a great choice for any program.

17. Robbie Brown: OC at Swett, longtime coordinator at Dillon SC.

#4 BD4443

BD4443

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 09:23 AM

What has happened at JBHS that has caused such a decline in performance? JB has traditionally been a powerhouse and made deep runs virtually every year. 

Have the district lines or the clientele changed? Has the administration changed? Something has to be vastly different for JB to go 3-8 and now abut to walk into the conference with the likes of Scotland and Richmond, it may be a long, long time until we see the Bucs back in contention for a run.

I could be very wrong here, but I don't see an established NC head coach stepping into that unless it would be a 1A or 2A head coach tryng to get into 4A or perhaps a retired coach like Russell Stone who has proven himself as a winner and is not intimidated by going into a very tough conference.

#5 Steelers71

Steelers71

Established Member

• Coach
  • 687 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 11:32 AM

Jack Britt graduated 18 starters off the 2015 team that went 11-3. Several of those guys went on to play college. This year was a re building year believe it or not, with 2 returning starters on Defense and 1 on Offense. There is definitely not the same talent there from the past several years, but still enough to be competitive with the right coach and scheme. There is also a new principal who took over just barely a year ago, and a new AD who came in this past summer. Lots of change at Britt, but it is still a great school. Coach Rimpf is a great man and coach. This was too good of an opportunity to pass up in SC. He'll be the HC/AD. That's enough right there to me.

#6 Raider2015

Raider2015

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 06:43 AM

Britt had a bunch of injuries too

#7 BD4443

BD4443

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 08:34 AM

Injuries in HS football are the biggest obstacle to overcome in my opinion. If you get a key guy injured it can cost you 3-4 games easily. No, football is not a 1 or 2 man game, it takes all 11, but if one or two key guys are out it will negatively affect the outcome.

#8 friersonbrian

friersonbrian

Rookie

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 08:30 PM

?

#9 Coach29

Coach29

Rookie

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 09:20 PM

Any updates coming out of Fayetteville ? i heard an announcement was supposed to be made this week. 

#10 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 18,215 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 10:16 PM

By Friday I'm hearing. Several of those involved are on the above list minus an assistant on staff.

#11 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 18,215 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 09:41 AM

Brian Randolph has been named the head coach at Jack Britt.  He was most recently the offensive coordinator at E.E. Smith but had coached at Britt under Richard Bailey and Byrd under Russell Stone.  He's a former QB for Byrd back in late 1990's. 

JeffChapman-Dynamic