Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo

BREAKING NEWS: Newton-Conover Vacates 2A Title

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 08:50 PM

According to sources at the Observer News Enterprise newspaper Newton-Conover has self reported an academically ineligible wrestler. The decision came from the school system top brass. There is no champion for this year. Bad for the kids who followed all the rules and demonstrated character. Disappointing news considering all they overcame with problems. But be clear Newton-Conover's super is not tolerant of sports accomplishments at the expense of academic integrity.

Newton rose from the depths of mediocre academics to a 14th ranking in all public schools in North Carolina. They also went from a bottom 20 percentile to 4th best graduation rate in the state. Kudos to the system for both accomplishments and taking a firm stand in this situation.

#2 Paul Graham

Paul Graham

Correspondent

• Admin Team
  • 3,313 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 09:11 PM

Will the title revert to the runner up team?

P.R. Graham

SMC

The standard in 1A since 1969

26 state titles in 35 apperances

22 consecutive finals appearances

SMC 1A/2A 32 state titles

#3 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 09:31 PM

Not that I am aware of. Violation occurred thru the whole playoff bracket. Personally I think it shouldn't end without a champion. Carrboro should be awarded the championship but it should never have came to this. With grades already out just before the duals this could have been monitored better.

I assure you the Athletic Director is a no nonsense man. He has been on the other side of teaching and being told to get football players passed. He will not tolerate treating athletes differently. He has won multiple state titles in soccer (he is the coach of boys and girls) as of late demanding academics are of the upmost importance.

#4 Vik-Val 86

Vik-Val 86

Established Member

• Members
  • 497 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 07:57 AM

GDG, I don't keep up with the wrestling part but I just so happen to read this and was curious how Newton Connor will look next year. Didn't know if they are young this year. It looks like NC has a real good wrestling program.

#5 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 10:25 AM

I assume you are speaking to the football team. if so they will be more senior based than last year but will still have a number of sophomores moved up to field a starting squad. Numbers have been an issue for 5 years or more. Kids are not coming out for football as in years past.

#6 Knights

Knights

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,772 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 11:03 AM

Looked like Robbinsville had 23 kids at state. I might be wrong but that sounds like a lot for a school with less than 400 kids. Rosewood is much larger school but had less than us. I remember when Robbinsville only had 8 or ten 20 years ago.

#7 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 11:53 AM

23 kids on a roster at 1A schools is very good. 4A schools struggle to get to that number. Kids tend to not continue with no wrestling time. This is why it is important to get them preliminary matches at events. Some schools are not willing to pay refs extra money for preliminary mat time. To get 23 kids at a small indicates a coach is walking the halls looking for talent. More to coaching than just showing up on day one.

#8 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 01:08 PM

Correction on the athletic director. I did not know Angelo Pelozzi had taken a different position as the the head of technology overseeing internships and other items. John Echard the assistant with him is running that show.

Newton-Conover coaching was not aware of the academic status of the kid thru the playoffs. They became aware of it after the title match was completed Saturday night. Immediately upon hearing of it the coaching staff reported the rumor and the condition of the academics was checked. A number of social media post have indicated a parent of a disciplined wrestler had knowledge of the grades and brought it to their attention.

In the past the AD was responsible for checking academic standing on all teams. The kid in question was academically eligible during the season until the end of January grades came out. He was not eligible during the week all the playoffs occurred. Thus none of the wins by Newton-Conover from round 1 thru the championship are legit. This is why no champion will be recorded for the year. Tough for Newton, but much harder for all the teams who competed against Newton with eligible athletes.

JeffChapman-Dynamic