Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo
- - - - -

West Caldwell head coaching search

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 18,343 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 08:59 PM

West Caldwell will wrap up its first round of interviews tomorrow morning.  The hiring committee interviewed nine candidates out of 62 applicants and will select three finalist to be interviewed a second time.  They hope to have a coach hired and in place by the beginning of March. 

Of the nine applicants, about a third are coaches from the current staff and the others are compiled of current head coaches in N.C. or current coordinators with head coaching or AD experience. 

I do feel there is one clear favorite based off of coaching accomplishments but it's going to come down to who is the right fit for the school.  

Regardless of who they choose, I feel West will continue to do very well in football this season.  They return 30 seniors from last years 10-3 team if memory serves me correct, but the rising junior class is very small and the JV's only went 1-9 so whoever takes over, there will be some level of rebuilding to take place.  That's why I feel fit will be more important than resume.  

The Warriors are on an uptick, they went 21-16 in Chip English's three seasons but prior to that it was rough going.  

As I've stated before in another thread about top jobs in NC, I think that this recent success by West Caldwell has created a renewed excitement for the program and the school has really bought in.  I've been there before and there is certainly an excitement surrounding the program that wasn't there in years past.  

West%20Caldwell.gif

#2 BlueDevilsBiggestFan

BlueDevilsBiggestFan

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,239 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 09:45 PM

Past 2 season have been good season for West Caldwell in a while. They have good sucess in 1997-2002 but one season under Coach Styron n few others before him so WC can have Sucess with the "Right" Coach n you can only continue building n Being successful

#WeAreMooresville

~~BlueDevilsBiggestFan~~

#3 Schmo

Schmo

• Members
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 08:56 AM

Team will drop back in 2017 regardless of who takes over.  They lose most of the play makers but the program is in a lot better shape than it was 5 years ago.  Moving up to 3A won't be the problem, they just won't be as good. 

#4 Raidergator

Raidergator

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 10:56 AM

Dang Schmo, you know a little bit about everybody.  What is the scoop on my beloved North Iredell Raiders for the 2017 season?

#5 Schmo

Schmo

• Members
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 06:45 PM

Dang Schmo, you know a little bit about everybody.  What is the scoop on my beloved North Iredell Raiders for the 2017 season?

I hope they can make some progress but to do that they have to stay committed with a plan.  Judging by what they had this past season and what I saw on the JV's they have a lot of work to do. It's got to start up front, that's where any program gets better. 

#6 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 1,387 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 10:04 PM

Schmo is right about this one. They played in the toughest 2A conference in the state so moving up to a bad 3A/4A conference doesn't change much. Playoff time it will of course. English worked the halls as much as he did the field. He created an environment rich in self pride. Add the fact the big boys are not going to be as abundant and of course Titus Tucker will be graduating. Tucker may have been one player but he had a way of getting things done in crunch time. Not sure if anyone duplicates the culture change that occurred after ten pathetic years prior to Coach English's arrival. Football knowledge is less a factor for this position than culture maintenance/building.

#7 Tarheel_Gregg

Tarheel_Gregg

Rookie

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 09:13 AM

Team will drop back in 2017 regardless of who takes over. They lose most of the play makers but the program is in a lot better shape than it was 5 years ago. Moving up to 3A won't be the problem, they just won't be as good.

#8 Tarheel_Gregg

Tarheel_Gregg

Rookie

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 09:16 AM

You have no idea what you're talking about. Only losing Titus Tucker but is returning the nucleus of the team. JV's were down but you have to look at several key frosh and soph's on the varsity. Team will still be a contender in 2017

#9 BlueDevilsBiggestFan

BlueDevilsBiggestFan

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,239 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 03:04 PM

You have no idea what you're talking about. Only losing Titus Tucker but is returning the nucleus of the team. JV's were down but you have to look at several key frosh and soph's on the varsity. Team will still be a contender in 2017

Weather u agree or disagree with Schmo, Schmo is very knowledgeable about teams in that area so He knows what he is talking about and I have much respect for his hospitality n such during his time in NPC!

#WeAreMooresville

~~BlueDevilsBiggestFan~~

#10 Tarheel_Gregg

Tarheel_Gregg

Rookie

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 04:42 AM

Weather u agree or disagree with Schmo, Schmo is very knowledgeable about teams in that area so He knows what he is talking about and I have much respect for his hospitality n such during his time in NPC!

#11 Tarheel_Gregg

Tarheel_Gregg

Rookie

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 04:47 AM

I'm sorry but I know more about the state of the program at west Caldwell and he is wrong on this one. WC is in good shape with what's returning. Yes, JV's struggled but would have been much stronger given the freshman and sophs on the varsity would have remained on JV's

#12 HHS2003

HHS2003

Established Member

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 10:28 AM

That's true with any school. If your a very good player you won't be on JV too long.

#13 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 18,343 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 10:47 AM

The new coach will be announced soon.  It'll be a great hire and someone that I doubt any of you expect.  A strong head coach from a very good 4A team. 

#14 BD4443

BD4443

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 11:30 AM

I think it has already been let out of the bag on a not be named forum.

#15 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 1,387 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 10:16 PM

I think it has already been let out of the bag on a not be named forum.

True. And I was surprised. But the unexpected is to be expected this year.

#16 HHS2003

HHS2003

Established Member

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 11:25 PM

Should be a good hire for West. Coaching carousel has been crazy.

#17 allenjd4life

allenjd4life

Established Member

• Members
  • 792 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 08:08 PM

Try this hiring wow
https://m.facebook.c...ype=3&source=48

JeffChapman-Dynamic