Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo

Ashbrook's Greg Hill retires

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 17,794 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 04:24 PM

Ashbrook head coach Greg Hill informed his team today that he's retiring from teaching and coaching.  I know they have some good talent coming back including a very good running back, it'll be interesting to see where they go with this. 

#2 EGFAN75

EGFAN75

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 196 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 04:29 PM

You wonder if Hill moves on to somewhere else. Ashbrook still has talent, but not like in the old days.

#3 Cagle89

Cagle89

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,318 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 06:46 PM

With the right Coach... Ashbrook can be deadly.... like I've stated before some of the play calling was just head scratching at times.... I'd love to see Ashbrook do good. .

#RaiderNation

3A State Champs

#4 fornow

fornow

Rookie

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 07:15 AM

Anyone know if this job has been posted yet?

#5 Cagle89

Cagle89

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,318 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 04:57 PM

Any word on this?
They staying within the coaching staff they have?

#RaiderNation

3A State Champs

#6 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 17,794 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 05:18 PM

My number one target would be Maurice Flowers. This is his kind of situation.

#7 CatholicCougs14

CatholicCougs14

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 6,260 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 01:16 PM

My number one target would be Maurice Flowers. This is his kind of situation.

Where is Flowers these days?

Charlotte Catholic Cougars

State Champions: 1977, 2004, 2005, 2015

22 Conference Championships

68 Playoff Wins

40+ Years of Excellence

Basketball:

State Champions: 2015

#8 Mustang sally

Mustang sally

Varsity Team

• Coach
  • 173 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 01:24 PM

I liked the setup down there.  Good atmosphere and concessions.  From an outsider point of view could be a good job but that is an outsiders view 

#9 coachE42

coachE42

Varsity Team

• Coach
  • 116 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 02:20 PM

Ashbrook used to be a very highly sought after school in Gastonia, but has declined in appeal over the last couple of years.  That does not mean the talent isn't still there, but there are several issues in play.  I agree with Chris, Maurice Flowers would be an excellent hire.

#10 banditback

banditback

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 08:23 PM

Just curious why Mo Flowers is THE guy? Is he an alumni or from Gastonia? Has he expressed an interest? Last I heard he was at Campbell. I think that has changed. Thought he would jump on Independence job

#11 coachE42

coachE42

Varsity Team

• Coach
  • 116 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 08:25 PM

I wouldn't say he is the only guy or even THE guy, but if he was given the job, I think he fits into this situation perfectly and would thrive.

#12 banditback

banditback

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 08:27 PM

Not trying to be negative at all but explain why you say that

#13 EGFAN75

EGFAN75

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 196 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 09:46 PM

Just curious why Mo Flowers is THE guy? Is he an alumni or from Gastonia? Has he expressed an interest? Last I heard he was at Campbell. I think that has changed. Thought he would jump on Independence job

Flowers played at East Meck. I am not aware of any ties he has to Gastonia.

#14 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 17,794 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 10:33 PM

In many cases, if I speculate about who may be a good fit for a certain job, it could be my way of saying there is either an interest for that person, or that the coach is either interested, expressed interest in that particular area, or has some known ties or connections to the area.

It also could mean that I know the strengths, weaknesses, or makeups of a particular program or coach and who could be good fits for each other.

I also make it my business, sometimes proactively and others because coaches or AD's call me and either volunteer info or ask for my input. On more than one occasion this year I've had an AD point blank ask me who I would hire between different candidates.

Both coaches and AD's alike have also trusted me to give them unbiased and accurate info about jobs and or candidates and when the situation called for it, keep it 100% under wraps or at a minimum only allow certain pieces of info out.

Now when I mentioned Maurice Flowers, there were multiple layers as to why I mentioned him. First and foremost, he's a tremendous coach, an innovative and down right brilliant offensive guru who could be better branded as the QB whisperer, and also because I know that he has a burning desire to get off the road of being a college coach and return back to NC where he can spend more time at home with wife and kids.

Also, I remember when Greg Hill was hired, Flowers was very much in contention for the job and some of those same supporters who wanted him came to me and actively told me he would get huge support from the Greenwave community.

However, I've got some texts and emails questioning how I could support a coach who was let go under the circumstances he was back at West Charlotte and all I'll say is this. Whatever wrongdoings he may have been accused of doing in regards to some players moving over from Olympic to WC, he's more than paid his time and is due a second chance.

Also, for the record before someone questions it here like they did two years ago when he was a candidate for the Richmond job, Flowers does have his NC teaching certification contrary to what some other know-it-alls have said on some other competing high school football websites.

#15 banditback

banditback

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 03:45 AM

Ok, good explanation. That is what I was looking for. I couldn't figure out the connection.

#16 SammySeminole

SammySeminole

Rookie

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 04:30 PM

Banditback,
Go to Coachflowers.com to check out Coach Flowers' credentials. Or, go to The Glazier Clinic in Atlanta next Week. He's gonna be speaking on several pertinent topics concerning QB Mechanics, Team up-tempo play, etc. In the past, Coach Flowers has presented at the AFCA Convention...

#17 banditback

banditback

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 06:56 PM

Apparently you completely missed the point. Credentials and/or speaking at clinics has zero to do with my question. My question is why he is the BEST fit for that particular job. Chris answered my question quite well, but thanks so much for your valuable input.

#18 Cagle89

Cagle89

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,318 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 07:38 PM

With the new Ashbrook coach..... I honestly feel they will be a legitimate contender! Great hire!... but at the end of the day it's Go SP!... SP will miss you! But you deserve it!

#RaiderNation

3A State Champs

JeffChapman-Dynamic