Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo

2A West Round 3 and 4

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 06:53 AM

First two rounds went as expected. Not sure of the third round pairings yet but I think it's like this:

Chase vs West Wilkes
Newton-Conover vs West Lincoln

#2 BroadwayJ

BroadwayJ

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 333 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 07:04 AM

Who are you picks to meet in the finals ?

#3 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 07:06 AM

Who are you picks to meet in the finals ?

West finals or state finals?

#4 BroadwayJ

BroadwayJ

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 333 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 10:03 AM

West finals.

#5 BroadwayJ

BroadwayJ

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 333 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 10:03 AM

West finals

#6 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 10:12 AM

I think the west final will be Chase vs Newton-Conover. Three weeks ago I would have penciled in Newton for a state final. Loss of a couple kids makes this an interesting match. I will not rule out West Wilkes. I think coaching and bumping wrestlers around may play a role in the west regional championship. Whoever has the advantage of awaiting to see who comes out on the mat first each time will have the advantage.

#7 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 10:51 AM

Location is Newton-Conover. This is where I will be Thursday unless I can finish work early Thursday. The 4A West bracket is intriguing.

#8 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 11:56 AM

Looking at this local match I expect Chase and Newton-Conover to advance to the western final. Barring an upset here is an overview of two teams I know more about that any others.

Chase:

106- Hunter Dover is a freshman with the skills to win a state individual title. Has very few losses. Most were to top rated kids in higher classifications. One loss was to Spenser Harris of Newton-Conover earlier in the year.

120- High quality kid. Lots of wins. Placed at Holy Angels tourney.

126- Hunter Moyer- excellent wrestler. Good takedown artist.

132 or 138-  Sammy Peticos. He is freak grappler.. Only one loss out of over 40. Don't know where he will hit the lineup. Looks like he has been at both places. Loss to #1 Quincy Monday of Carrboro so he may be heading to 138 for regionals and states but if he hits weight he is a terror on the mat. Tremendous skills and likes to wrestle brutal as well. if he gets beat tonight it will shock the crowd.

138- Christian Arrowood- another kid who will place for a spot in Greensboro. May get bumped up to 145.

170- This kid is tough to the core. Did not place at states last year which was a shock to me. Placed 6th the prior year. Fully expect him to be one of the three favorites in Greensboro.

195- Blake Tesseneer. Only seen him once. Your going to get roughed up. Top ten 2A kid. Only way to beat him is stay active from start to finish and that still might not be enough.

285- He will be a favorite at regional individuals this year. Lost a few matches to top kids. Top 10 kid in 2A.

As you can see Chase is loaded. I would say Chase could have as many as 8 state individual qualifiers this year if the stars all align. Redy4 from Mitchell can tell you more about Chase as Mitchell wrestled Chase recently.

#9 redy4friday

redy4friday

• Members
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 12:11 PM

Chase is very solid and gave us a fit. We had to have a pin by our 285 to squeak out the win. You are spot on with your write up. I don't keep up with any team other than Mitchell so I really can't say a lot about any other team.

#10 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 12:47 PM

Preview of Newton-Conover:

You never know where Coach Eddie Clark will put a kid until someone shakes hands on the mat before the fight. Clark likes to use strategy and bump kids around to get wins. I wouldn't even begin to try to put a pre scorecard together before a match. Newton has had some defections from the team and one kid has not been in the starting lineup for a while. Lots of weight movements over the last three weeks. 170 second ranked kid is gone. Haven't seen the normal kid at heavyweight in a while.

Kids to watch:

Spenser Harris at 106 or 1113. Beast. Could win states this year if he can stay off his back. Top three in there state in 2A.

Jayden Kimsley- got all the technical aspects to win. Could go 120. Top ten in 2A.

Austin Scott- top ten kid. Likes to feel out the opponent. Slow starter, wins big in the end.

Like Canroberts- Talented as anyone on the team. Hasn't been in the starting lineup for a while. If he is on the bench tonight against Chase it will be a tough go. Just my opinion. 

William Gaither- may go 138. Excels when the dual is on the line. Came thru big last year in crunch time. Ranked 5th.

Bennie Benson- Wow. This kid is ranked 6th. Man he stepped up big last year in the duals. Loves the cradle. I could tell you more about Bennie but lets just say he has overcome some big hurdle to accomplish what he has done.

Andy Henze- I have no idea where he may be in the line up. Possible 170 or 182. Ranked top ten at 182.

Damien Epps- this kid has stuck out many senior kids in from of him. Sixth ranked in 2A at 220. May end up tonight at heavyweight. Robert Deese may start at 220.

Newton-Conover is stacked in the lower weights, highly competitive in the middle but not dangerous, and very good up to 220. Heavyweight is not a strong point unless the 220 is thrown in with guys 60 pounds heavier. The last three weeks have been challenging for the team. Dismissals, suspensions, and some other events have been distractions. Time to put the big boy pants on and suck it up. This match will be determined by Coach Clarks strategy, win or lose.

#11 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 06:57 PM

West Wilkes storms to a 12-0 lead before the studs come out and deliver five straight wins with a three pins for Chase. Chase 27-18.

Newton started off at heavyweight. Lost before going to 27-10 lead now.

#12 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 07:00 PM

Chase up 33-24 over WW:

#13 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 07:09 PM

Newton up 33-13

#14 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 07:10 PM

Chase up 36-24 with h three weight to go.

#15 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 07:16 PM

Newtonncloses it out 37-13 and forfeiting the others to move on.

West wilkes has to pin on last two matches to tie.

#16 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 07:18 PM

Chase wins a close one.

N-C vs Chase

#17 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 07:43 PM

Match to start at 106. Newton-Conover bumped a few kids in the
West Lincoln match. This is the final everyone expected long ago.

#18 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 08:11 PM

Chase leads 13-3. Chase mopping the mats with kids in the lower weight classes. Have the studs coming up for Chase.

#19 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 08:19 PM

23-3 Chase

#20 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 08:32 PM

Newton with two pins and wins to cut lead to 23-19

#21 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 09:28 PM

Newton-Conover storms back for 28-26 lead.

#22 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 09:28 PM

Newton 31-26

#23 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 09:32 PM

Newton-Conover makes the miracle comeback and wins 31-29. Came down to heavyweight match. N-C stayed off his back in the loss.

Newton advances to the state championship for the 7th time in 12 years under coach Eddie Clark. Chase was tough.  Newton-Conover attempts the repeat and going for title 4 in five years.

JeffChapman-Dynamic