Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo

NCHSAA got it wrong !

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 BroadwayJ

BroadwayJ

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 341 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 04:00 PM

The NCHSAA really dumped on Mount Pleasant and Washington in the 2A Dual Team Championships. Mount Pleasant has a 4 + hour ride to Dixon High School south of Jacksonville, NC and #1 overall seed Washington has a 4 hour ride to Lexington. Both of these team should pass each other on the highway during the trip. Someone please explain the logic behind this. 

#2 Bleed purple for life

Bleed purple for life

Established Member

• Members
  • 572 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 05:41 PM

I think the teams are supposed to wrestle in a central location but that doesn't seem central to either.

#3 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 1,932 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 05:56 PM

Just goes to show how quick they are willing to get wrestling over. Wrestling coaches should attend the annual meeting expressing their displeasure. I think this is the longest travel I've seen in wrestling. In 1A Cherryville goes to Mitchell. Another long travel. Brackets are down being filled in so I can't remember the others. On the good side Washington will be in the BBQ capital of North Carolina. I can smell the pigs roasting now. Speedy BBQ is as they say in NASCAR- Awesome.

#4 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 1,932 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 06:05 PM

I think the teams are supposed to wrestle in a central location but that doesn't seem central to either.

That's the way it's always been but this year they changed the qualification and seeding on a one year trial basis. I think the feedback they get will be negative. I would approve of the seeding if the playoffs were not crunched into a week time frame. 1A has always been lots of travel due to the geographic locations of small schools. Most are on the far edges of the state.

Travel for conference and events in the coastal east is a season long problem. This is why individual events are more abundant that school week duals. The number of duals in the middle of the state are much easier. Infrastructure and number of local teams allows better scheduling. A team like First Flight has a long travel time for wrestling regardless of look on a map.

#5 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,523 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 08:29 PM

Normally when a change such as this is made it originates out of the sports coaches.  We have seen with football a big push to get something in place and then it is a not very appealing as it plays out in real time.

#6 Knights

Knights

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 3,119 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 06:28 AM

Alleghany to robbinsville is a good trip

#7 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 1,932 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 06:56 AM

When the four teams are put in a bracket for the first and second round the association request the teams for a host for the playoffs. The most central school will host of those schools. If there is only one who responds then it's a done deal. It should be a mandate that the most central school host the playoffs regardless. If this means a basketball game must be moved to an away location so be it. If it means a basketball game goes to a middle school, so be it.

I think it was three years ago that with a four days left one of the 4A regional sites had no offers of more than a dozen participating schools. I think that was somewhere in the Mideast, possibly Wake County area. I don't remember the details but it was a mess.

#8 BroadwayJ

BroadwayJ

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 341 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 07:18 AM

We do the BBQ pretty good around here too ! It's crazy the #1 overall seed out of the east has to travel. I know WHS offered to host and assumed they would. Hopefully it will motivate. I feel for Mt. Pleasant also. Travelling thru several area codes to wrestling is not ideal for anyone.

#9 Knights

Knights

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 3,119 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 08:51 AM

Robbinsville is also the #1 seed and will travel over 2 hours to Mitchell

JeffChapman-Dynamic