Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo

Early Dual Predictions

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 2,060 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 11:42 AM

1A- Mitchell vs Rosewood
2A- Chase/Newton-Conover winner vs Dixon
3A- Enka vs Orange
4A- West Forsyth/Davie County winner vs Cary

Wrestling in other than 1A has taken a step backwards in team overall quality the past two years in my opinion. 1A has seen improvement in programs not normally recognized. Piedmont very well could give Enka a problem in the west.

#2 Knights

Knights

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 3,146 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 11:55 AM

Agree on Mitchell vs Rosewood but Robbinsville could shock the world. Mitchell's numbers allow them to fill weight classes much easier than we can.

#3 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 2,060 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 12:21 PM

Agree on Mitchell vs Rosewood but Robbinsville could shock the world. Mitchell's numbers allow them to fill weight classes much easier than we can.

Agree with this. 2A overall wrestling quality has seen a decrease. In my opinion 4A has been weak for team depth for years with a few teams dominating the scene. Both 2A and 3A will get more quality teams in the next alignment while 4A will slip tremendously. 2A west is the weakest I have seen in 12 years. 4A west has the two mentioned above and not much else this year. 4A east has Cary and Holly Springs.

Getting quality coaches seems to not be a concern in the world of sports as soccer has displaced wrestling on the athletics scene. Soccer has pretty much also rose above baseball in participation. In my opinion soccer players make good wrestlers and I'd like to see coaches target these kids for a winter sport. Lots of weight classes could be filled up to 170 lbs from soccer teams.

#4 BroadwayJ

BroadwayJ

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 341 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 12:52 PM

Just an FYI, Farmville Central (2A)topped Croatan(2A) earlier this year. Cary(4A) topped Washington(2A) by one point early in the season. Washington wrestled Farmville Central last Friday night and topped them 45-21. Washington completed the regular season undefeated. I would think FC and Washington need to be added to the mix out of the 2A East. First Flight could make some noise also. I agree the 2A East runs thru Dixon but the teams listed could be a tough out.

#5 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 2,060 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 01:17 PM

Good info. Looks like the east 2A is going to be more competative than the west. The question now is who the non conference champion representatives will be. The guidelines for making the playoffs changed for this year so overall record is important.

#6 Knights

Knights

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 3,146 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 01:59 PM

We don't have a soccer team. Would help with kickErin in football also

#7 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 2,060 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 03:39 PM

Just an FYI, Farmville Central (2A)topped Croatan(2A) earlier this year. Cary(4A) topped Washington(2A) by one point early in the season. Washington wrestled Farmville Central last Friday night and topped them 45-21. Washington completed the regular season undefeated. I would think FC and Washington need to be added to the mix out of the 2A East. First Flight could make some noise also. I agree the 2A East runs thru Dixon but the teams listed could be a tough out.

First Flight has always had championship kids at state individuals but they have a difficult time getting weight classes filled. I can remember a year where they had zero wrestlers above 170. They need some big kids over on the island. Not enough cows on the outer banks to grill.

#8 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 2,060 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 03:43 PM

We don't have a soccer team. Would help with kickErin in football also

Soccer is banned in the mountains I think except for the Brevard crowd.

#9 BroadwayJ

BroadwayJ

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 341 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 04:29 PM

Not enough flat land for a soccer field, the ball keeps rolling off the mountain. That's why the kids from the mountains are so tough in football. The field is up hill both ways !

#10 MHSblueDevilsARE#1

MHSblueDevilsARE#1

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 6,522 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 09:21 PM

Mooresville should be a big player in 4A this year. Idk how Hough has been, but they've been strong in recent years too

#11 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 2,060 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 07:21 PM

Mooresville should be a big player in 4A this year. Idk how Hough has been, but they've been strong in recent years too

Hough is not as good as previous years. They have won a lot of matches but the schedule hasn't been difficult. They did win the Huskey invitational which has pretty much been owned by Newton-Conover every year. Newton finished second of 12 teams. Mooresville won over Hough 57-8.

Mooresville has losses to Fred T Foard and West Forsyth this year. I think they have won all the other dual matches. Came from behind to win over West Lincoln. Mooresville is a top team in 4A with West Forsyth, Davie, Cary, and Holly Springs. The loss to West Forsyth was 50-21. I could see Mooresville becoming a major 4A program if they could get kids in off season events. There are a couple wrestling clubs close to Mooresville that would elevate that program tremendously.

JeffChapman-Dynamic