Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo
- - - - -

New Oak Grove head football coach (Davidson County)

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 RD28327

RD28327

CP Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,483 posts
  • Email:reubendavis@embarqmail.com

Posted 25 January 2017 - 11:11 PM

http://www.journalno...28fdf4015f.html

#2 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,317 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 01:47 AM

Impressive coach. Would have had his full junior and senior class next year playing 2A at North Davidson.

#3 Slashman

Slashman

Established Member

• Members
  • 507 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 04:45 AM

One of the more suprising and random moves I've seen from a coach. Go from a school that probably could seriously contend at the 2AA level for the next alignment at least to a program that isn't ready for prime time yet. I guess he knows something we don't and had a spirtual seizure to change his tune. I seen him this past summer at a 7 on 7 and he looked happy and fine.

This is the best possible hire for OG though. It won't take very long for them to contend because there will be kids wanting to change and play for him now. If ND makes a bad move it could come to haunt them though. If they get a solid guy they won't have no issues. This will make the rivalry between ND and OG more heated for sure especially if OG starts winning by 2020. How Ledford fits in will be as intresting.

Well as for the CCC this move might help make things more intresting. Just wait and see as the saying goes. Plus props to OG for going with a unique mascot. Grizzles doesn't get used much in high school.

#4 Nipit

Nipit

Veteran Member

• Coach
  • 265 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 08:09 AM

This is a smart move.  Many of the talented skill positions at North Davidson have often come from the Midway area.  That community has...imo...the best recreation and youth programs with tremendous support from the fine folks that live there.  With losing kids, I thought ND was scheduled to drop down a classification soon as well.  Mark is a tremendous coach and person.  Midway hit a home run. 

#5 GoNtheDistance

GoNtheDistance

Established Member

• Members
  • 530 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 02:18 PM

this move is anything but surprising or random as nipit hit the nail on the head.  Could Holcomb stay at North and be a flash in the pan over the next few years at 2A until their numbers drop, sure he could.  But long term, Oak Grove will be the place to be.  The new school will pull from North's best talent pool, and also pull from one of Ledford's highest income areas which also tends to have a pretty solid talent pool across all sports.  In 5 years, Oak Grove will be a top tier program in 2A.  Within 3-5 years, they'll be competing pretty hard in some other sports like baseball for example.  Good long term move by Holcomb and a chance to build something exactly as he wants to with new facilities and a lot of support.

"You can't control the wind, but you can always adjust your sails."

#6 Black Knight

Black Knight

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 28 January 2017 - 09:51 PM

The Midway community has been good for North Davidson over the years, but that is not the only place our athletes came from. Plenty of good football players ( I assume that is what everyone wants to talk about) come from the Welcome, Arcadia and Reedy Creek communities. Folks act like the Midway kids are from planet Krypton ;)  :). It reminds me of when Wheatmore opened in Randolph county. That was where all the Trinity "athletes" came from they said, and Wheatmore was going to be strong in athletics. Hasn't really happened, has it. I'm not trying to put down Oak Grove one bit, it's just comical to me, and A LOT of folks in the North Davidson community at how everyone thinks the next Mallard Creek is coming to the Northeastern part of Davidson County :D

#7 lbedwards

lbedwards

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 06:21 PM

Black Knight,

You are correct in your assessment to a point. I would say the primary difference between the Trinity/Wheatmore situation is the caliber of coaching Oak Grove will receive from Day One. Mark Holcomb is one of the more underrated coaches in the state, with a .693 winning percentage over his decade-plus tenure at North. Wheatmore, will all due respect, hired a coach with no more than 7 wins in his ten years as Head Coach at Central Davidson (had five losing seasons, three .500 seasons, and two seasons just above .500). Granted, Central is a tough place to build a consistently successful program. Holcomb has only one losing season on his resume. 

The other difference I see is the talent pool Oak Grove will draw from. OG will pull from North and Ledford, whereas Wheatmore was the result of splitting one school. Additionally, OG has a single middle school already in operation while Wheatmore lacks the single middle school feeder. This allows continuity from one level to the next. 

Now, to your point, OG may jump on the scene as title contenders in the next three years when they have a full school of seniors, juniors, sophomores, and freshman. They also may fall flat and not fulfill their potential. I don't know which way OG will turn out. But I do think they are are the right track with a good head coach. I also do not think North will fall off the face of NC high school football. I think they will remain competitive as a legitimate contender for the foreseeable future.

#8 cltfootball

cltfootball

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 06:38 AM

This is an absolute home run hire by AD Stan Smith and Principal Scott Dalton! If ND or Ledford were to be staying in a higher classification it would worry me, but knowing both programs I think they both will be just fine.  I'm excited to see how Davidson does in their county conference and these three programs should will likely be atop of the standings.

#9 hbnw

hbnw

JV Team

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 12:33 PM

Great hire at OGHS. I am now very interested to see what happens with the opening at NDHS.

#10 twinpeeks

twinpeeks

Established Member

• Members
  • 905 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 05:33 PM

will oak grove have varsity fb team this year

#11 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 18,255 posts