Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo
- - - - -

2017 Baseball Hall of Fame results

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 FHS1985

FHS1985

Established Member

• Members
  • 945 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 06:44 PM

Tim Raines, Jeff Bagwell and Ivan "Pudge" Rodriguez all got in. I would never vote for Bonds, Clemens or any of the others about whom there is fairly firm evidence of PED use, so for me maybe the ones who are deserving but left out this time might include Mike Mussina and Vlad Guerrero. What say everybody else?

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.”

― C.S. Lewis

#2 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,234 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 08:02 PM

When MLB and the teams return the money to the consumer (or just give it all to charity) that they made off the steroid highlights then I say do not vote for them.  Until then, I would vote for a steroid player if they had a strong career pre steroid era and were exemplary during the era or their overall career.  Therefore, Clemens and Bonds are in for me.

#3 FHS1985

FHS1985

Established Member

• Members
  • 945 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 08:27 PM

When MLB and the teams return the money to the consumer (or just give it all to charity) that they made off the steroid highlights then I say do not vote for them. Until then, I would vote for a steroid player if they had a strong career pre steroid era and were exemplary during the era or their overall career. Therefore, Clemens and Bonds are in for me.

While MLB is complicit in the "chicks love the long ball", "please forgive us for the strike" era of the late 1990s each individual player is responsible for the choices that they made, so the ones who roided up are out as far as I'm concerned. Clemens and Bonds were both great enough to be in before they took PEDs, but that wasn't enough for them. Frank Thomas may have hit God knows how many homers if he was juiced. Also neither the Baseball Writers or the Hall of Fame are MLB, so I can't blame either institution for having, or holding players to, a higher standard than the league.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.”

― C.S. Lewis

#4 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,234 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 09:43 PM

Also neither the Baseball Writers or the Hall of Fame are MLB, so I can't blame either institution for having, or holding players to, a higher standard than the league.

Absolutely correct and neither organization has made a stance or set guidelines for how to vote on the circumstances.  I think it is totally a personal view for a vote or non vote on those players.  

Do you think Pete Rose should be inducted?

#5 FHS1985

FHS1985

Established Member

• Members
  • 945 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 04:57 AM

Absolutely correct and neither organization has made a stance or set guidelines for how to vote on the circumstances. I think it is totally a personal view for a vote or non vote on those players.

Do you think Pete Rose should be inducted?

Also no. Pete lied about how he acted and lied brazenly. People say, "well, he never bet against the Reds" which may be, but there were nights when he made no bet at all on them when he was their manager. Bookies knew that and that given Pete's inside knowledge (i.e. he wasn't confident about that night's starter or he knew some key player was going to sit) there were probably reasons to shift money away from the Reds, but regular Joes were not privy to that info. There are very good reasons that the rule about gambling is posted in every clubhouse but Pete thought he was above all that.

― C.S. Lewis

#6 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,234 posts

Posted 28 January 2017 - 03:16 AM

Pete Rose is beyond arrogant.

JeffChapman-Dynamic