Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo
- - - - -

Hendersonville High School could 'cease to exist' if city council doesn't pass zoning resolution

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Bootlegger

Bootlegger

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 09:00 AM

Henderson County commissioners threatened yesterday that Hendersonville High School could cease to exist if City Council members do not vote to close Ninth Avenue West. For those that don't know, this has been a heated topic in these parts this year. The Board of Education recognized the need for a new Hendersonville HS years ago and purchased land adjacent to the property for it's future. The only problem is that a rarely used road sat between the current school and the property. The County Commissioners have proposed a new school that would not incorporate the historic Stillwell Building into it's project. The County would not demolish the building, they would just re-utilize it for Board of Education offices, etc. That did not sit well with a small group of alumni who wanted the building reincorporated back into the school and had attempted to stall the plan. It didn't work at the county level. Both the Board of Education and County Commissioners decided a new school altogether would best fit the need of the future and dedicated over $50M for it's construction. However, there was one hurdle. The county needs the city to to vote to close Ninth Ave West, a road that only stretches about 200 yards, so that it can connect the Boyd property to the existing campus. The commissioners are accusing 3 council members of using their authority on this street, as political leverage for their personal discourse with the school plans. Let it be known that the city has no authority on matters of the educational system. That is solely a role of the county. It is known and has been known for some time that the current school has major safety and structural issues. Well, the county had some strong words on the issue yesterday:

'Commissioner Mike Edney said that if the City Council doesn't approve the rezoning, HHS may cease to be. If that happens, the county will need to need to open discussions with the school board about moving students elsewhere in the county or fixing major problems with the Stillwell Building and the rest of HHS.

"In my mind, this is the sole window of opportunity for Hendersonville High School to remain in existence," he said, adding that if the council votes no on closing the road, the council will be telling the county that it doesn't want to use the Boyd property for educational purposes. And if that's the case, the county has an obligation to put the land on the market and sell the Boyd property.

Without that property, he noted, it will limit what can be done on the HHS campus now and in the future. The city council, he added, has nothing to do with education in the county and never has.

"Let's just assume city council will acknowledge their role and their obligation and not play politics with this thing," he said. "If they do, then there will be consequences that none of us can control.'

Commissioner Bill Lapsley gave City Council members the same ultimatum commissioners gave the school board — if the new HHS construction project is not approved, the project will be killed. Lapsley also said it appeared that three city council members have indicated they intend to vote against the project. ... the funding for the Hendersonville High School project will be withdrawn; the project would be dead," he said.

#2 Mitchell county mountie

Mitchell county mountie

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,508 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 01:02 PM

its a shame when politics get in the way of progress. The old HHS campus is beautiful, but is still old, and outdated.

#3 Bootlegger

Bootlegger

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 01:24 PM

its a shame when politics get in the way of progress. The old HHS campus is beautiful, but is still old, and outdated.

From what I heard the school currently has major fire issues which could shut the operation down in the future, hence the "If they do, then there will be consequences that none of us can control', comment. It doesn't sound like the county commissioners are just going to throw money at the current setup either, just to patch it up. It's been patched up enough in their eyes. A while back there was some discussion to build a new school outside of town, that would fall in line with the rest of the directional schools. That's been a while though.

This is getting interesting however.

#4 Superkase

Superkase

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 276 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 02:09 PM

I've watched the pissing matches between school boards and other boards in my county for years and it usually turns into one board trying to make the most radical public statements ("We're gonna have to lay off teachers!", etc.) to get the most out of the other board.  How much of that is a possibility here, or are these threats genuine?

#5 Bootlegger

Bootlegger

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 03:57 PM

I've watched the pissing matches between school boards and other boards in my county for years and it usually turns into one board trying to make the most radical public statements ("We're gonna have to lay off teachers!", etc.) to get the most out of the other board.  How much of that is a possibility here, or are these threats genuine?

I'd say yes. This isn't a pissing match between boards. The 2 authorities on the matter are the school board and the county commissioners. They legislate county educational needs and funding. They are both in agreement with the plan. The only reason the city council is even being sought, is to close a city street so that the county can join the 2 county owned properties into 1, for the new school. The street and things pertaining to the street, are the only matter the council needs to deal with, not the individual council-members interjecting their beliefs into the dealings of the county boards and using the street as leverage. There has always been a rumor that the county wanted to move a school out of downtown and more inline with the rest of the high schools in the county (directional). The county allocating this much money could come and go for a long, long time if they choose to ditch this effort and move on to others, and everyone knows HHS has major issues with the building. If I had anything to do with HHS, I'd be calling city council.

#6 Bootlegger

Bootlegger

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 12:41 PM

The city voted to table the road closure until May.

http://www.blueridge...es-road-closure

JeffChapman-Dynamic