Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo

Western Guilford coaching opening

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 17,992 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 11:10 PM

For the second time in as many seasons, the Western Guilford job is open. I don't know why but I feel this job could be a good situation and the right coach could have some good success.

The talent is there, they've got a principal who's all in, and I've also heard about some future upgrades they're about to make to the stadium and facilities.

I vividly remember the success they had under Doug Henderson, I'd like to see them return to glory.

I haven't really heard too much about candidates but there are a few names I've thought of when it comes to future candidates.

Last year they interviewed and had the opportunity to hire Russell Stone. That would have been a dynamite hire and still could happen this year. We saw what he did leading Village to a state finals appearance.

Brad Baker who was at North Meck is available and would be a good fit for anyone.

Former Davidson Day head coach Chad Grier's out there and would be good anywhere.

Southeast Guilford DC David Hines is always a good candidate in the Guilford area.

Matt Stack, head coach at McMichael would be a great hire too for any program. For him to have turned the Pheonix around shows he can build anything and he's local in the Triad area.

South Stokes OC Mike Holmes has emerged as a great young coaching prospect.

Or what about Western Guilford royalty, Chuck Henderson who starred for the Hornets under his hall of fame father.

#2 Slashman

Slashman

Established Member

• Members
  • 506 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 02:01 AM

You're good at picking potential canidates man; you got that knack lol.

Baker did a comendable job at North Meck; he had a great year in 2015 and easily could have won 8 or 9 games; they went down this past year but that's how ball works. He took his lumps there but it paid off; he deserves another shot somewhere.

I feel for Coach Stone; he's applied to so many places they won't give him a shot. Whoever does take the chance will benfit.

I like Coach Stack a lot. I met and shook his hand when they came to our 7 on 7 in 2015. They run their version of the Air Raid well. He's a great fundamentals coach and he gets them charged up. He mentioned how hard it was there but he's done well to build McMichael up. They were in dire straights before he got there. This past year they tore up everyone and had some decent looking athletes; it paid off with that playoff spot. If they didn't have such powerhouses in their conference they could have made noise. Stack would be a great additon but I wouldn't mind him staying there either McMichael deserves a good little run.

I also like Coach Hunt at West Wilkes; I believe they both came from the same place. He'd do well at a 3A school with athletes which isn't what West has. Instead he ran a option offense behind a huge line which was genius. He tried spread option/pistol his first few years there and it didn't work as well but I see Western's athletes running it more naturally. I don't see him going though because West has some talent coming back but he wouldn't be a bad pick if he was to go.

I didn't get to meet Coach Holmes but I met Hall and liked him decently. They were much improved this year especially fundamentally. On varsity they had some good skill players in the backfield to make the wing work but on JV they ran their offense more differently and I liked what they ran. It's not a flashy offense that they run but it works well. If Holmes is in charge of it I like what he's doing and it'll be fun to watch them in 1A. I say give him a couple more years and he'll be a choice for jobs around here at least.

Chuck Henderson as in the Lexington HC? He would be a good pick.

#3 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 17,992 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 10:05 AM

You're good at picking potential canidates man; you got that knack lol.

When you run in the circles and know the people I know, you get a good feel for it.  There's a slight chance I could have inside info from time to time too!

#4 190Ranger

190Ranger

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 07:07 AM

Has anyone heard anything about this opening? Are they close to hiring? Any leads?

#5 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 17,992 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 07:29 AM

I think an offer could be made this week.

#6 190Ranger

190Ranger

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 09:42 AM

Is western getting close to hiring anyone this week?

#7 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 17,992 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 09:51 AM

I think it was very close to making a hire this past week but I'm hearing that the actual teaching position is holding things up.  I know the county was trying to allocate an additional PE slot but I don't think they were able to make that happen.  If I'm not mistaken, I think English may be the only job available at the moment. 

A head coach from Rockingham County and an assistant from SE Guilford were the two names I had heard the most but now I'm not sure where things stand. 

#8 190Ranger

190Ranger

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 10:02 AM

Thanks for the update. Hope they can turn things around.

#9 redclayramblers

redclayramblers

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 09:39 PM

Hearing it is Coach Grier from the Charlotte area per one of the players.

#10 Livstrng

Livstrng

Established Member

• Members
  • 614 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 11:19 PM

I can't believe nobody has made a run at the two Coordinators for the rival schools in Kernersville.  If a team is looking for an offensive minded Head Coach they should really be going after Glenn's OC Kevin Wallace.  His system has turned Glenn from a really bad .500 team to a conference contender.  If they are looking for a Defensive minded coach they should go after East Forsyth's DC Coach Aaron Beal.  I saw both of their names pop up on another site in the SE Guilford job and looked at some of their game films. Both coaches do and excellent job!  Both are young and would be a great addition to any team.  I really think with the right guy leading the way Western Guilford could turn back into a Conference contender again and really soon.  They just have to get kids to stay at the school and buy into the system.  It is sad to see how far Western Guilford has fallen in the past 10 years.  

#11 Sam Spencer

Sam Spencer

Varsity Team

• Coach
  • 235 posts
  • Email:CoachSpencer82@yahoo.com

Posted 12 February 2017 - 11:35 PM

I can't believe nobody has made a run at the two Coordinators for the rival schools in Kernersville.  If a team is looking for an offensive minded Head Coach they should really be going after Glenn's OC Kevin Wallace.  His system has turned Glenn from a really bad .500 team to a conference contender.  If they are looking for a Defensive minded coach they should go after East Forsyth's DC Coach Aaron Beal.  I saw both of their names pop up on another site in the SE Guilford job and looked at some of their game films. Both coaches do and excellent job!  Both are young and would be a great addition to any team.  I really think with the right guy leading the way Western Guilford could turn back into a Conference contender again and really soon.  They just have to get kids to stay at the school and buy into the system.  It is sad to see how far Western Guilford has fallen in the past 10 years.  

Did either of them apply?

#12 Livstrng

Livstrng

Established Member

• Members
  • 614 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 12:58 PM

I'm not sure Sam I don't know either coach? I have seen both their names in several Coaching threads so I just figured they would be. Do AD's in this state go after coaches they think would be good fits for their program or do they only interview coaches who apply?

#13 190Ranger

190Ranger

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 03:58 PM

Has anyone heard if they are getting any closer to naming a coach?

#14 Randolphcountyfb

Randolphcountyfb

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 09:52 AM

when is thier going to be a annoucement

#15 Mustang sally

Mustang sally

Varsity Team

• Coach
  • 206 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 09:54 AM

Seth Baxter ?????? 

#16 coachtyson93

coachtyson93

Freshman Team

• Coach
  • 39 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 10:03 AM

That would interesting , I heard that were having a hard time getting a pe job

#17 redclayramblers

redclayramblers

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 08:17 PM

A player told me that they had an "All players" meeting with  Coach Grier.  However that could have been just part of the interview process.  I have also heard WG does not have a PE position at this time.  So not sure what is going on.  One of the best returning players did just transfer to Dudley.

#18 NF_VIKINGSFB

NF_VIKINGSFB

• Coach
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 03:07 PM

That would interesting , I heard that were having a hard time getting a pe job

I was told in January that they would have a PE job

JeffChapman-Dynamic