Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo

East Rowan Coach Resigns

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#26 84k

Established Member

• Members
  • 997 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 11:37 AM

Has East hired their coach yet.

#27 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 18,250 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 01:07 PM

Not yet. 

#28 mustangfan0314

mustangfan0314

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 01:06 PM

Any news on the coaching search...

#29 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 18,250 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 01:13 PM

John Fitz will be the new coach. 

#30 Mustang sally

Mustang sally

Varsity Team

• Coach
  • 206 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 01:20 PM

Who is that 

#31 Nipit

Nipit

Veteran Member

• Coach
  • 265 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 02:54 PM

Coach Fitz worked in Oxford at Webb when they were really good in the 90's...maybe Asheboro as well.  He was the strength coach at Catawba and worked at New Hanover.  I don't know his record, but he is well respected by those who have been in football for a while.

#32 Mustang sally

Mustang sally

Varsity Team

• Coach
  • 206 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 03:09 PM

OK thanks well congrats to coach Fitz and good luck 

#33 Mustanger

Mustanger

JV Team

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 11:13 AM

Best of luck coach Fitz. I know the kids really like him.

I'd be surprised if there were many interested in the job. If Fitz has a couple good years, he'll head to greener pastures and no one could blame him. ER has become a horrible place for coaches. Until the current admin is gone, it'll be the same ol'.

It's a sad time to have athletes at ER in any sport. The girls tennis team almost didn't have a season last year, until a teacher with no tennis experience, stepped up to basically drive the bus. The girls volleyball may be in the same boat this year. The VB coach informed the school she would not be back next season, before the season ended. The admin has not even started a search for a new coach (words from the AD).

The ER area voted out the ER rep on the school board during the election, but he received enough votes from the rest of the county to stay in. As long as he's in, the ER admin has no worries and the sports programs will stay on the back burner. We're more concerned about removing red paint from the halls, to prevent violence and renaming the Christmas Queen to something more politically correct.  

#34 Steve Johnston

Steve Johnston

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 03:06 PM

But hey, you still got baseball. It's been my experience that baseball is king in eastern Rowan county and everything else is left to pick up the scraps

#35 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,317 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 04:51 PM

Mustanger, give us some more info on the school board and the rep. What is their problem with successful athletics?

#36 Mustanger

Mustanger

JV Team

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 11:48 AM

Last year, a few board members proposed closing some elementary schools and busing kids around. After several protest and meetings, the issue was dropped (probably due to the upcoming election). ER's board member was one of them and his seat was up for election. He was voted out by the ER districts. But, the votes are counted from the whole county. Being the incumbent, with the way most people vote blindly when they have no dog in the fight, he was re-elected.

I know several complaints about the current ER admin has fallen on deaf ears with the school board. The only things I have mentioned in my prior post are facts. There are several other things floating around about the far left agenda of the admin that I can't comment on, since they are just hearsay.

But back to the topic. ER has had two coaches over the last 25 years that have had improved success over their tenure. Both of those coaches were let go due to non football reasons. But the key ingredients remain. They were both alumni and great motivators that were able to get the athletes on the field. One was not even a football coach, but was a great motivator. They were the coaches that you loved as your coach, but every other fan base hated. If you're in the SPC, you should probably know which two I'm talking about by now.

Coach Fitz seems to be the motivator that the kids respond to. I know talking to a few players, they are really looking forward to the upcoming season. The other factor I mentioned above was being an alum. The other two would have most likely stayed at ER as long as they could have. Alums are the only ones that have been willing to put up with what has become ER athletics. Any other good coach has headed for a far more supporting and better paying school as soon as they get a chance, and who could blame them. That is my concern about coach Fitz.

Yes baseball is the sport in ER. But do you know why? One of those coaches that I'm talking about was the baseball coach. ER was not a baseball school before he got here. He was an alum and a great baseball coach. He built a program, and that program has continued ever since. He was here long enough to build a program. Not a couple years and move on. Once again, an alum.  

Change has to start at the top. ER's problem goes deeper than coaches. You can look at all the coaching vacancies over the last several years and see what I'm talking about.

JeffChapman-Dynamic