Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo

Jim Bob Bryant

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#26 Tyler12

Tyler12

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 328 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 03:28 PM

Not as many as you'd think.

Same coach we've had since 2006.

#27 Cagle89

Cagle89

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,318 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 06:45 PM

Lol...those days are over. You can get a handshake at one of the Cardinals games next year.

I doubt I'll make that! Move to Belmont so you can be a Red Raider!

#RaiderNation

3A State Champs

#28 NPCFANCAM

NPCFANCAM

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 07:50 PM

Drama Drama Drama :)

#29 NewBernBears

NewBernBears

JV Team

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 03:44 AM

True or not the Havelock faithful seemed to be in the JBB train.

Who will be New Bern's HC next season?

#30 NewBernBears

NewBernBears

JV Team

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 03:46 AM

To my knowledge, Curlings will be back next season.

#31 The1WhoKnows

The1WhoKnows

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 12:28 PM

Two stories from New Bern:

http://www.newbernsj...-football-coach

http://www.newbernsj...nts-resignation

#32 HHS2003

HHS2003

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 366 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 04:13 PM

Obviously the kids that played for him liked him.

#33 FlyhighFHS

FlyhighFHS

Rookie

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 10:32 AM

His former players, present players and staff will miss JBB. He was not just a coach. I pulled this off a previous post I saw and it nailed exactly where the negativity is coming from.

"The more I read, the more I sense that Jim Bob did not toe the "good ole boy" line by turning the other cheek when certain kids got in trouble. He didn't allow bad behavior. He made them get better or else they had to go. Maybe I'm wrong, and please correct me if I am. But a person like that will definitely cause a stir among certain types of people in a small southern town. I respect him for that though.

People who would intentionally use a public social media platform to write negative comments about someone who has had a positive impact on our community, especially an impact on kids, have a problem with respect. And they are raising kids who have a problem with respect. It's funny to me that they are acting like the self righteous ones."

FYI..JBB and his staff made these kids families. If the kids didnt have food, the coaches would bring food and give them groceries so they could eat. If they needed supplies, these coaches would bring them supplies. If they needed a place to stay, the coaches opened their houses to them. At one point, on Sundays a good amount of the team attended church together because the boys wanted to be there with the coaches. JBB built a family, not only a team. Freedom is one lucky school.

#34 Coachcre

Coachcre

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 199 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 09:31 PM

Everyone I have talked to in the freedom community are excited about coach Bryant coming to freedom. I have read and heard nothing but good things about him and I am looking forward to seeing what he does at freedom.

#35 RAMS

RAMS

Rookie

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 01:33 AM

Everyone I have talked to in the freedom community are excited about coach Bryant coming to freedom. I have read and heard nothing but good things about him and I am looking forward to seeing what he does at freedom.

Congrats to you guys!  I believe within 3-4 years you will have a run at consecutive 3A state championships.

Coach Bryant brought Havelock to new heights during his tenure as the head football coach at Havelock.  If you look at Havelock's yearly records since 1970, you'll see about 4 - 6 losing seasons with 3 of those years coming just before Coach Bryant's arrival.  Over those years, Havelock scheduled very tough opponents (ie #1 3A Farmville Central of the 1970's) and continued to win.

With Coach Bryant, Havelock developed a robust weight lifting program as well as an off season workout program.  He instilled a lot of discipline within the program and his players had a healthy fear of him.  He would remove a player from the team if they were a discipline problem, no matter where the player was on the talent chain. Recall that Coach Bryant removed his best player (an All-America who is now a redshirt for Florida State) from the team close to the playoffs last year because of disciplinary problems and did not reinstate him.  A few years back, he released a player from the team because of too many missed practices.  The young man is now playing DIV I football. 

A lot of parents did not like him because he made sure they all knew that HE ran the team and not the parents.  If you could only imagine how many parents got angry because they thought their son was the "man" and wasn't playing.  Coach Bryant had reasonable expectations of his players with regards to work ethic on the field and in the classroom and reasonable expectations on how they represented the themselves in a positive manner.  If the player did not meet those expectations, then they weren't playing or they were gone.  He chose starters based on merit not on favoritism.

Coach Bryant never influenced grades during his stay at Havelock.  He was gracious to the teachers and did NOT interfere with classroom business.  Teachers were clearly in control of the decisions they made whether or not to pass a academically borderline performing player. 

I really envy you guys at Freedom.  You've got a great Coach!

JeffChapman-Dynamic