• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 BroadwayJ

BroadwayJ

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 02:56 PM

Looks like Jim Bob is leaving Havelock and heading to Freedom High. Just announced on twitter and the New Bern Sun Journal

#2 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,006 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 04:22 PM

That move should tell you how he is (or feels he is) being treated by Craven County.  A one yard stop and a subsequent 99 yard bomb kept him from a state title game this year and he felt he had enough to win it next year.

#3 burnstweeter

burnstweeter

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 262 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 04:30 PM

That move should tell you how he is (or feels he is) being treated by Craven County. A one yard stop and a subsequent 99 yard bomb kept him from a state title game this year and he felt he had enough to win it next year.

I was told he'd be making more money in Burke County.

#4 Cagle89

Cagle89

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 05:26 PM

Everyone knows money is always the main reason....lets see what he can do on this side.

#RaiderNation

3A State Champs

#5 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,006 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 06:02 PM

Obviously but a lot of complaints from coaches in Craven County.

#6 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 06:16 PM

No Jim Bob Bryant Freedom would have been one and done in playoffs or lose to an average team in the second round like has happened lately. Freedom was loaded for five years and did nothing in the playoffs. I witnessed football chaos in Morganton the last few years.

Bryant comes into a program with talent but nowhere close to the last 5 years. There is no University of Alabama running back BJ Emmons in the pipe now. Nor Gardin, nor Nigel Moore. But he walks into a program with great youth programs and a fan base that supports the team and travels extremely well. Speed at skill positions has never been an issue at Freedom nor has commitment.

#7 FHS1985

FHS1985

Established Member

• Members
  • 760 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 06:43 PM

No Jim Bob Bryant Freedom would have been one and done in playoffs or lose to an average team in the second round like has happened lately. Freedom was loaded for five years and did nothing in the playoffs. I witnessed football chaos in Morganton the last few years.

Bryant comes into a program with talent but nowhere close to the last 5 years. There is no University of Alabama running back BJ Emmons in the pipe now. Nor Gardin, nor Nigel Moore. But he walks into a program with great youth programs and a fan base that supports the team and travels extremely well. Speed at skill positions has never been an issue at Freedom nor has commitment.

Football chaos is a good way to describe it-make it to the regional final one year, see your coach fired in the off season, see the new coach leave after one year (with about a month until practice begins), win one playoff game he next three years.

FWIW we have some talent coming up that coach Bryant should be able to get good results with. He wasn't "my guy" during the search, but he is now. If he can get anything even close to the results he got at Havelock he will be revered here in Morganton.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.”

― C.S. Lewis

#8 CatholicCougs14

CatholicCougs14

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 6,204 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 06:47 PM

Football chaos is a good way to describe it-make it to the regional final one year, see your coach fired in the off season, see the new coach leave after one year (with about a month until practice begins), win one playoff game he next three years.

FWIW we have some talent coming up that coach Bryant should be able to get good results with. He wasn't "my guy" during the search, but he is now. If he can get anything even close to the results he got at Havelock he will be revered here in Morganton.

Hardin's have a habit of leaving right before practice starts. 

Charlotte Catholic Cougars

State Champions: 1977, 2004, 2005, 2015

22 Conference Championships

68 Playoff Wins

40+ Years of Excellence

Basketball:

State Champions: 2015

#9 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,006 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 07:35 PM

Who did you prefer to get the position?

#10 FHS1985

FHS1985

Established Member

• Members
  • 760 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 07:40 PM

Who did you prefer to get the position?

Joe Glass. I thought he would be a long term hire because he is a Freedom alum. JBB is our guy now though and I am going to support him to the fullest.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.”

― C.S. Lewis

#11 BroadwayJ

BroadwayJ

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 07:11 AM

So who's up next @ Havelock ? Is Caleb King, current head coach @ East Carteret next man up or did JBB groom a current staff member for the job? I did notice that JBB coached from the press box the second half of the season. Was that on-the-job training or was there a back story ?

#12 FHS1985

FHS1985

Established Member

• Members
  • 760 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 10:37 AM

For JBB the measure of success at Freedom will be: how long does it take for one of his teams to make it to the third round. Most of us would love a shot at a state championship, but realistically a game after Thanksgiving would make us happy and a December game would make us ecstatic. We have some talent coming up and you can't control who you get in the draw but a lot of the frustration from our fan base has to do with the lack of playoff success with our program.

― C.S. Lewis

#13 Footballaholic32

Footballaholic32

JV Team

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 02:14 PM

Intell you what the football program at Freedom just got allot better that's for sure. But everything else that is JimBob comes with it. No doubt you will win some football games but your dealing with a true diva. But hey if all you guys care about is just winning excellent hire. You will find a finer football mind in the state.

#14 FHS1985

FHS1985

Established Member

• Members
  • 760 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 03:14 PM

Intell you what the football program at Freedom just got allot better that's for sure. But everything else that is JimBob comes with it. No doubt you will win some football games but your dealing with a true diva. But hey if all you guys care about is just winning excellent hire. You will find a finer football mind in the state.

I never said that all we care about is winning. You assume that the kids will be doing the right thing off the field and academically. If we have to put up with some personal drama from the man as the price of winning more consistently that might not seem so bad to our fan base as we have had drama without a lot of winning (at least come playoff time) for years now.

― C.S. Lewis

#15 The1WhoKnows

The1WhoKnows

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 07:12 PM

Footballaholic32 

Is a wanna be coach!  He thinks he knows everything there is to know but in reality his Jacksonville Cards are 0 and 10 versus Havelock since JBB has been at Havelock.  He is just a lil butt hurt after all the a$$ whippings he got from Havelock.  Should be grateful.....maybe they can stay within 30 points now that JBB has gone on.  Chuck!

#16 Footballaholic32

Footballaholic32

JV Team

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 09:03 PM

Ok as I don't like to just put my personal business out there.. the1 who thinks he knows... first off son I have had the honor of coaching at some of the top programs in country in such places like the great state of Texas which is where I am from.. California,Alabama,Louisiana just to name a few. I have had the pleasure of coaching a number of young men who have played at some of the best programs across the country. There is currently 6 young men on current NFL rosters who at one time called me coach in their high school careers. Do I know it all? Nope never claimed I did.. however I have probably forgotten more football then you and three of your best buds can remember about the game. I stepped away from coaching so I could concentrate on building my businesses and be with my son who is now 7 while my wife who is a active duty Marine officer can concentrate on her career. As us who actually have coached knows it takes up allot of time. Since you really want to know what I do or don't know about the game of football. I knew enough that I got a check for 4 years on Sunday's when I played and you watched me play. So if you want to go there we can go there. Shut the hell up. Know who the hell you talking to or about before running that gator. If your going to tell it..tell it right clown. I support the Jacksonville Cardinals because this is where we have settled at. One of my places of business is actually in Havelock I am there everyday for the past 5 years. Have had the pleasure of meeting many of the great people of Havelock. Trust what I am saying not very many are upset that he is gone. Is he a great football coach? Without question which I have said before. With his antics would I ever let my son play for him? Not in a million years.Good day!

#17 Cagle89

Cagle89

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 11:51 PM

Ok as I don't like to just put my personal business out there.. the1 who thinks he knows... first off son I have had the honor of coaching at some of the top programs in country in such places like the great state of Texas which is where I am from.. California,Alabama,Louisiana just to name a few. I have had the pleasure of coaching a number of young men who have played at some of the best programs across the country. There is currently 6 young men on current NFL rosters who at one time called me coach in their high school careers. Do I know it all? Nope never claimed I did.. however I have probably forgotten more football then you and three of your best buds can remember about the game. I stepped away from coaching so I could concentrate on building my businesses and be with my son who is now 7 while my wife who is a active duty Marine officer can concentrate on her career. As us who actually have coached knows it takes up allot of time. Since you really want to know what I do or don't know about the game of football. I knew enough that I got a check for 4 years on Sunday's when I played and you watched me play. So if you want to go there we can go there. Shut the hell up. Know who the hell you talking to or about before running that gator. If your going to tell it..tell it right clown. I support the Jacksonville Cardinals because this is where we have settled at. One of my places of business is actually in Havelock I am there everyday for the past 5 years. Have had the pleasure of meeting many of the great people of Havelock. Trust what I am saying not very many are upset that he is gone. Is he a great football coach? Without question which I have said before. With his antics would I ever let my son play for him? Not in a million years.Good day!

Can I get a autograph?

#RaiderNation

3A State Champs

#18 Footballaholic32

Footballaholic32

JV Team

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 12:43 AM

Lol...those days are over. You can get a handshake at one of the Cardinals games next year.

#19 Tyler12

Tyler12

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 328 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 12:21 PM

So who's up next @ Havelock ? Is Caleb King, current head coach @ East Carteret next man up or did JBB groom a current staff member for the job? I did notice that JBB coached from the press box the second half of the season. Was that on-the-job training or was there a back story ?

Was told that Coach King is not in the run for the job. 

As far as the other half of your post, that is Jim Bob being, Jim Bob. 

#20 The1WhoKnows

The1WhoKnows

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 12:43 PM

From what I was told by a reliable source:  JBB went up to press box after second half of West Craven game (Regular Season).

He was able to make better calls offensively and make pre-snap reads for his QB.  I imagine that it helped making the right calls offensively but had to suck being the HC in the box.

#21 Steelers71

Steelers71

Established Member

• Coach
  • 619 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 01:02 PM

More money and a better situation in Carteret County than Craven County. Never thought that would be the case, but it is now.

#22 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,006 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 02:03 PM

It seems the people that are writing negative things about JBB are fans of Havelock opponents.

#23 Tyler12

Tyler12

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 328 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 02:15 PM

It seems the people that are writing negative things about JBB are fans of Havelock opponents.

Haven't seen any that are untrue. Knowledge is power.

#24 BroadwayJ

BroadwayJ

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 03:08 PM

I think JBB went to the press box after the Greenville Rose game. Don't know if the sideline scrum during the game factored into the move.

#25 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,006 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 03:20 PM

Haven't seen any that are untrue. Knowledge is power.

True or not the Havelock faithful seemed to be in the JBB train.

Who will be New Bern's HC next season?

JeffChapman-Dynamic