Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo
- - - - -

Chip English leaving West Caldwell

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 CatholicCougs14

CatholicCougs14

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 6,296 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 10:42 AM

According to Jeff Link on twitter West Caldwell HC Chip English stepped down this morning to take a position out of state.

He has done a great job turning around that program which hadn't done much for the better part of a decade. 

What's next for West Caldwell now?

Charlotte Catholic Cougars

State Champions: 1977, 2004, 2005, 2015

22 Conference Championships

68 Playoff Wins

40+ Years of Excellence

Basketball:

State Champions: 2015

#2 BlueDevilsBiggestFan

BlueDevilsBiggestFan

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 01:54 PM

Pick a Good coach to replace him but make sure its the RIGHT fit

#WeAreMooresville

~~BlueDevilsBiggestFan~~

#3 CatholicCougs14

CatholicCougs14

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 6,296 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 02:46 PM

Pick a Good coach to replace him but make sure its the RIGHT fit

I mean I thought they'd pick a terrible coach(sarcasm)

Charlotte Catholic Cougars

State Champions: 1977, 2004, 2005, 2015

22 Conference Championships

68 Playoff Wins

40+ Years of Excellence

Basketball:

State Champions: 2015

#4 BlueDevilsBiggestFan

BlueDevilsBiggestFan

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 03:21 PM

I mean I thought they'd pick a terrible coach(sarcasm)

They gotta replace a good coach so they don't pick wrong guy they go down hill

#WeAreMooresville

~~BlueDevilsBiggestFan~~

#5 bigdawg_33

bigdawg_33

Established Member

• Members
  • 828 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 03:22 PM

Saw this coming! The WC program is gonna drop off pretty bad next few seasons, and going to 3A too...gonna be some long Friday nights in Gamewell.
"the world meets no one half way, if you want it, you gotta take it!"

#6 WolfWarrior

WolfWarrior

Rookie

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 08:04 PM

It will be tough replacing Tucker but there are a lot of nice parts coming back.  Solid RB (Boyce). Several large and experienced linemen (Helms, Stepps and Richardson).  Brooks can put up incredible #s if can stay healthy.  LB (Gause) can be special.  Assuming Kaleb Dula plays he has gotten valuable snaps at QB this year and last.  He will be better knowing that he is the guy - going in.  Taye Dula is an outstanding athlete if he can avoid bad luck.

I would argue that Hibriten will be in for a greater fall in talent level next year than will WC.  Still Hibriten will have a good record in 2017 because they had the luck in landing in one of the weakest 2A conferences in the state.

#7 Tarheel_GG

Tarheel_GG

Rookie

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 10:11 PM

BIGDAWG_33, Are you Hibriten97 from NCPreps? No one likes him over there either. West Caldwell will be just fine if they make a good hire. They have a lot coming back and the program has become much stronger with the weight program now in place and the brand new weight room. The 3-A league they go into is not as strong as the SD-7 2A. English laid the foundation, now it's up to the administration to make the right hire to keep it in track.

#8 Slashman

Slashman

Established Member

• Members
  • 497 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 03:51 AM

Not going to lie I called this happening from when English got hired. He was a smart pick given his prior experience but he was a risk because West hadn't won in a while but it was a smart hire none the less.Thankfilly he managed to break the malaise there and got West going again. They were fun to watch on Hudl this year. Now he's moving to greener pastures while West is stuck out in the field with ? marks on their heads.

Overall I think West should be fine but the people in charge have got to think this through and fully figure it out. A wrong move here would send the program back down again. Same happened in 2004 when Styron left and they kept making awful hire after awful hire. I seen West both during the Baldwin and Dunn years and it was sad. To see them get out of the ashes has been wonderful and I hope they stay that way.

I think they will be fine in the NW'rn conference. Watauga, an improving AL Central progra,, and Freedom (with a new coach,) will be their main rivals each year; possibly South Caldwell will get moving again as well. Shame they didn't stay 2A though because them and Hibriten in the SD7 would have been intresting. That conference was rather gutted from what they had in this alignment.

#9 Hibriten

Hibriten

JV Team

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 10:49 AM

It will be tough replacing Tucker but there are a lot of nice parts coming back.  Solid RB (Boyce). Several large and experienced linemen (Helms, Stepps and Richardson).  Brooks can put up incredible #s if can stay healthy.  LB (Gause) can be special.  Assuming Kaleb Dula plays he has gotten valuable snaps at QB this year and last.  He will be better knowing that he is the guy - going in.  Taye Dula is an outstanding athlete if he can avoid bad luck.

I would argue that Hibriten will be in for a greater fall in talent level next year than will WC.  Still Hibriten will have a good record in 2017 because they had the luck in landing in one of the weakest 2A conferences in the state.

We'll keep beating WCHS pretty handily. The problem at WC is simple- they have no fan support. Basketball is king over there.

#10 bigdawg_33

bigdawg_33

Established Member

• Members
  • 828 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 12:08 PM

BIGDAWG_33, Are you Hibriten97 from NCPreps? No one likes him over there either. West Caldwell will be just fine if they make a good hire. They have a lot coming back and the program has become much stronger with the weight program now in place and the brand new weight room. The 3-A league they go into is not as strong as the SD-7 2A. English laid the foundation, now it's up to the administration to make the right hire to keep it in track.

No I'm not. I used to be over thete years ago under this same name. I came here cause im not paying that crap fee they had at the time. I don't give a f$%# who likes me or not. What is it now...13 years!!!! Enough said
"the world meets no one half way, if you want it, you gotta take it!"

#11 HHS2003

HHS2003

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 02:51 PM

It will be tough replacing Tucker but there are a lot of nice parts coming back. Solid RB (Boyce). Several large and experienced linemen (Helms, Stepps and Richardson). Brooks can put up incredible #s if can stay healthy. LB (Gause) can be special. Assuming Kaleb Dula plays he has gotten valuable snaps at QB this year and last. He will be better knowing that he is the guy - going in. Taye Dula is an outstanding athlete if he can avoid bad luck.

I would argue that Hibriten will be in for a greater fall in talent level next year than will WC. Still Hibriten will have a good record in 2017 because they had the luck in landing in one of the weakest 2A conferences in the state.

Hibriten will be fine the cubbards look good for at least the next 2 years.

#12 Cagle89

Cagle89

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,321 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 05:28 PM

No I'm not. I used to be over thete years ago under this same name. I came here cause im not paying that crap fee they had at the time. I don't give a f$%# who likes me or not. What is it now...13 years!!!! Enough said

Lol

#RaiderNation

3A State Champs

#13 Cagle89

Cagle89

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,321 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 05:30 PM

Besides Shelby in the new conference SP is in... It's pretty weak lol... Maybe a good baseball conf tho..

#RaiderNation

3A State Champs

#14 Slashman

Slashman

Established Member

• Members
  • 497 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 02:59 AM

Besides Shelby in the new conference SP is in... It's pretty weak lol... Maybe a good baseball conf tho..

Taking Crest and the big schools out hurts the conference as a whole in terms of competition and battle testing but it helps the non Shelby squads out. Only downside to it is that it'll be Shelby and South Point every year for the title. But the Chase/RSC and East Gaston's of the world will be able to win more vs. their level of schools.

Mixed bag.

#15 Cagle89

Cagle89

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,321 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 08:24 AM

Taking Crest and the big schools out hurts the conference as a whole in terms of competition and battle testing but it helps the non Shelby squads out. Only downside to it is that it'll be Shelby and South Point every year for the title. But the Chase/RSC and East Gaston's of the world will be able to win more vs. their level of schools.

Mixed bag.

Yes I know :( ...... I hope its scheduled every year SP vs Shelby is the last game of the season kinda like a Conf Championship game.... But who knows SP may screw up and lose a few who knows anymore.

#RaiderNation

3A State Champs

#16 Big467

Big467

Rookie

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 08:22 PM

Thoughts on Jeremy Boyce leaving West Caldwell? He's a Solid back. Does West Caldwell have a Back to replace him if he leaves. He did set a new School Record for West Caldwell. Thoughts??

#17 WolfWarrior

WolfWarrior

Rookie

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 08:45 PM

I haven't seen or heard anything from Jeremy to indicate that he would be leaving.

His last twitter post showed his frustration with Coach English leaving but didn't sound like he was giving up on being a Warrior.

#18 Big467

Big467

Rookie

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 09:30 AM

I've heard he has thoughts on coming to Hibriten. They could be true or could not be.

#19 Hibriten

Hibriten

JV Team

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 01:34 PM

We'll probably have to trade our #1 bball prospect for 2018 to WC for him though. :D

#20 WolfWarrior

WolfWarrior

Rookie

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 06:36 AM

I've heard he has thoughts on coming to Hibriten. They could be true or could not be.

I hope our new coach change up the helmet color. I'm feeling a yellow helmet and adidas uni's1f642.png.

Doesn't sound like he is thinking about making a change.

#21 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 09:39 AM

West Caldwell had a very physical offensive line. Boyce's success was a team effort. He can be a star at West or one of many at Hibriten. West Caldwell needs another young proven assistant with energy. Chip English will be hard to replace.

JeffChapman-Dynamic