Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo
- - - - -

Legendary Coach Tom Brown Retires

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 1,927 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 04:30 AM

Saw on the news last night former Maiden Blue Devil and current East Burke coach Tom Brown retired. Named by himself The Oldest Rat in the Barn and Friday Night Football commentator he took East Burke out of the pits in 2015 to a third round game against East Lincoln.

Brown spent forty years at Maiden before retiring from a position teaching. 48 years total coaching. After retiring and out a few years Brown returned to a broken program at East Burke and had a couple years of success from 2014-2016.I can say for sure in Maiden, NC he is revered and all the coaches that follow at Maiden will be measured against Brown for decades. Brown did more with less talent than any coach I ever witnessed. Not many coaches make it to the mid seventies as a head coach before retiring. 365 wins in 512 games. Tom is a member of the NCHSAA Hall of Fame.

#2 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 18,478 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 08:42 AM

He's a class act and among the most charismatic coaches we've ever had. I wish him the best.

#3 Slashman

Slashman

Established Member

• Members
  • 507 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 02:43 AM

One of the great coaches in NC Football.

Unique piece of trivia but I was looking thru old MA News Newspapers on Google's Archive from when I was a kid and in 2003 or so Maiden drew East Surry in round 1; Coach Dave Diamont admitted in the preview artiicle that it was a wish of his to coach against Coach Brown. When another coaching legend admits something like that you're a heck of a coach in you're own right.

We came extremly close to playing East Burke in round 1 in the '15 playoffs; wish we could have it would have been an honor to meet Coach Brown. He did a fine job there given the program's situation. The 2nd round game vs. West Stokes was a thing of beauty they beat West at their own game.

#4 Schmo

Schmo

• Members
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 09:01 AM

It was interesting when he took the job at East Burke with some monster programs in the conference like Shelby, Crest, Burns, but I guess some young men are better people after working with Tom Brown. East Burke joins neighbor Freedom with vacant coaching positions.

#5 Decleater

Decleater

Rookie

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 11:15 AM

When The Ol Ball coach calls it a night, then its lights out.  Absolutely no doubt he is and was a tremendous coach.  Sometimes it is hard to watch these guys call it a day.  It was great to see him come back into the game and make East Burke a competitive team.  Great stadium to watch a game too.  

JeffChapman-Dynamic