Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo

Winston Salem Prep Opening

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 #1Raider

#1Raider

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 10:15 AM

When did the Winston Salem Prep job come open?

#2 seat93

seat93

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 12:21 PM

Does this indicate that Prep will not have a football team in 2017???

They did not have a JV team this year and had a bunch of seniors on a pretty good team!

The Northwest 1-A in 2016 lost their North Stokes conference game, does this mean those 

teams will now be looking for a replace game for Prep also?

I am assuming that North Stokes will field a varsity team in 2017.

Did the Prep head coach go to Carver?

#3 Slashman

Slashman

Established Member

• Members
  • 493 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 03:18 AM

Well at least I'm not the only one who has noticed this. The NCHSAA page has no vacancy listed for it yet nor have I seen it in the WSJ so I can't confirm it yet but this whole thing's very odd.

I hope they continue playing because that little program there's been very rootable since they started. They have played with the big boys and almost came out on top. Not many people realise but they came within 2 TD's of splitting the Northwest with MA this year; no lie. They lost barely to East Surry and Walkertown. If you take those two close ones away they'd been co conference champions and a high seed in the 1A.

What I don't understand is why they had such a downgrade in terms of turnout in 1 year? 2015 they had 2 teams and while neither were outstanding they were very competive. The JV team (with a woman HC none the less; it was in the wS Journal,) beat a stout Mount Airy JV team easily with no sweat and played East okay. That squad has potential if they stay toghether. Then this year they only had varsity; very odd.

I hope they keep the team because they put so much work into it. Maybe all they need is a HC change, who knows. Maybe the guy they got wasn't right.

#4 Slashman

Slashman

Established Member

• Members
  • 493 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 03:40 AM

On the other-hand though if WSP folds it may be the best thing to happen for the Surry and Stokes county teams. All of the Stokes schools, Forbush, and every Surry County team except Elkin were against the new alignment and wanted to mergre to do a split Northwest (except Forbush wanted to be in the MVAC but it was too full,) but the state wouldn't hear of it.

MA and East were against it especially because the Northwest's fate would have to hang on Bishop and especially WSP. Bishop's fine as a program but WSP was a risky choice to hang hopes on. The Forsyth schools bring low gates to the non Forsyth stadiums and it means MA and East's fate would have to hang on non conference rivalries to make money during the season. Then North Stokes's oddities happened this year and it pissed a lot of programs off especially those in the conference and makes them paranoid. They are on eggshells especially due to that. They will have to field a team in the worst case scenerio to make sure some form of inertia will continue.

If WSP folds it will mean the NW will be down to five teams including newbie South Stokes but if N Stokes has # problems again it will mean 4 are left and that's a true nightmare. There will be a lot of random non conference games and it will be hard for those 4 to fill a schedule up. The NW situation along with the potential problems with Reidsville's conference gives the realignment comitee a black eye for forcing these schoos into those messes.

If push comes to shove it could get things back to where they should be around here but I'd hate to see it go so dire but sometimes harsh medicine requires it.

#5 seat93

seat93

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 08:32 AM

I wonder if the AD's in the Northwest Conference are questioning Prep and / or looking for replacement games already?

Does the Northwest Conference have a director or one AD who does the organizational work?

Slashman, what do you mean by "it could get things back to where they should be around here"?

And does the state have a rule concerning the number of athletic teams a school should offer before they are placed in a conference?

#6 Knights

Knights

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,405 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 03:46 PM

Close it down.

#7 Asu6711

Asu6711

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 12:54 PM

Seat93 usually an AD from one of the schools in the conference is the director of the conference. I'm not sure who that would be for the NW1A though. I'd go on a limb and say whoever the AD at East Surry is now or North Stokes AD though I could be wrong.

#8 TD-FridayNight

TD-FridayNight

• Members
  • 1,045 posts
  • Email:odell1217@yahoo.com

Posted 02 January 2017 - 02:57 PM

Look at their basketball this season.....This school has been a farce from the start. I have been saying they did not belong sense they started...... After the girls winning the state 1A championship last year,they had no JV team and only 2 varsity players that did not graduate. They did come up with a team again this year but they have yet to win a game ....( 0-8 Also they only show one JV game on schedule and that is against Bishop. They show no roster on Varsity or JV.. All as reported on Maxprep..)

#9 #1Raider

#1Raider

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 06:12 PM

So am I to assume that the football program is going to be shut down?

#10 Mustang sally

Mustang sally

Varsity Team

• Coach
  • 173 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 01:50 PM

Very quiet here in Forsyth County about Prep, not a lot of info.  It has been said that Prep would struggle to field a team year in and year out, perhaps the County should have never allowed them to start a program with Carver, Atkins, Walkertown and Prep all within minutes of one another and all three are 2A or smaller 

#11 The1WhoKnows

The1WhoKnows

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 07:51 PM

Prep means recruit......Charter means recruit......Private means recruit.  Killing 1a in NC.

#12 #1Raider

#1Raider

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 09:33 PM

I think recruiting is a good thing if you can actually offer the kids something. But last I checked Prep was really good at basketball and really bad at teaching kids. So maybe a shutdown is a good thing.

#13 seat93

seat93

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 10:32 PM

The question becomes who will tell the members of the Northwest 1-A Conference that Prep will or will not have a football team next fall?

These 1-A schools depend upon gate receipts to pay for travel, officials, uniforms, etc.  If they are not informed soon these schools will be without a game.  Some body in Forsyth County should step forward and be responsible.  We know the NCHSAA  does not care about the harm the charters, privates, and open enrollment is doing to athletics in the small schools.  If Prep does not have a football coach then why would anybody transfer to Prep to play football.  That means they will only have the existing enrollment from which to make a team.  What is their enrollment and how many basketball players play football?

#14 Slashman

Slashman

Established Member

• Members
  • 493 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 03:38 AM

What I meant by that was the conferences going back to pre-2013 setups. They weren't perfect but the schools had a say in it and they were okay with it. These last 2 the state hasn't listened to anyone much at all they just makes moves and are like "Don't like it? That's tough deal with it even if the potential consquences stink."

The Surry and Stokes schools have been against both of these conferences since 2013 but it really heated up last year. East and Mount Airy screamed bloody murder especially the first time but the state heard none of it. This past year as I mentioned they joined collectively and appealed but again the state heard none of it. The first and second appeals were not due as much to the fact those schools were from Forsyth as much as it was about the fact neither schools contirbute much to gate or had fanbases.

Atkins has never been a powerhouse in any of the main 3 sports especially Football. In 2015 we played them for homecoming and they brought less than 12 fans; in fact their band took up most of the vistors side. If it wasn't for homecoming we would have made a killer JV level gate at best. It was worse for MA and East when they played them there. They did a little better this year but they will never bring consitant gates. You're best hope is to have them for homecoming. They did have a good little rivalry with North Stokes but that's it.

Prep from the way it looked on hudl never had many fans either. Carver's okay but they didn't have very many this year. The one Forsyth school that's never been an issue in any way has been Bishop McGuiness. They have always been straight forward and to the point. Back when they were in the split Northwest conference they brought decent crowds.

#15 Slashman

Slashman

Established Member

• Members
  • 493 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 04:08 AM

What I don't understand are two things: 1.Why would WSP go thru so much trouble to do Football after all the fundraising if they half-heartidly ran it and are fine with letting it pottentially die off, and 2. Why would Forsyth let them take that risk and not punish them for doing it? This whole thing hasn't made much sense to me and it just smells oddly.

A lot of people could get hurt by this too. All those people who donated money won't see it come to frution. This article from the WSJ explained that process well. They had to raise $35,000 and only reached the top thanks to an anonomus donor finishing it off. That also is odd:

http://www.journalno...19bb30f31a.html

All those people will be out of money if the program doesn't continue. Then you have the Northwest schools who will be up the creek to fill WSP's spot on the schedule. After the N Stokes ordeal last season stuff like this isn't welcomed. Maybe all this worry is for false hopes. Maybe Scales quit and they are getting another HC; maybe that's all they need in the end is a different approach.

I do agree with Seat though that Forsyth Co needs to be willing to take the blame here; they okayed this in 2013. They should have known the risks inolved with the move and what could happen from it. I doubt they will be acknowledging of it but who knows maybe they will. As for their ADM's it's not much it was barely at 200 kids; they had 206 or so this year. They had 257 last year so they don't have very many kids to pull from in school.

#16 Picken-n-Grinnen

Picken-n-Grinnen

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 10:59 AM

Slash,

Bishop has said they may not have a JV next season.  They only had 16 or so this past year and low numbers on varsity.  With numbers that low at the 1A level you have to look at expense of travel and officials etc...  Don't be surprised if Bishop only has a varsity team next season...

Bottom line is MA and ES are the only two schools right now that can 100% say they will have both JV and Varsity.  South Stokes should be able to field two teams but not heard anything official.  What a true nightmare this all could be!!

#17 Gonzo

Gonzo

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 04:42 AM

Curious to know where you got information from that bishop wouldn't have a jv team next year??????? Being that I flow team very closely

JeffChapman-Dynamic