Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo
- - - - -

Top 5 jobs open in NC right now!!!

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#1 DBGuru5

DBGuru5

Rookie

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 09:42 AM

What are the top five head coaching jobs that are open in NC

#2 CatholicCougs14

CatholicCougs14

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 10:41 AM

Crest
Richmond
Davidson Day-with ability to recruit it is

Charlotte Catholic Cougars

State Champions: 1977, 2004, 2005, 2015

22 Conference Championships

68 Playoff Wins

40+ Years of Excellence

Basketball:

State Champions: 2015

#3 work7

work7

• Members
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 10:44 AM

AL.Brown? 

#4 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 17,992 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 10:48 AM

Wakefield, it's a great school atmosphere.

Fairmont, supportive admin.

Olympic, incredible talent to work with, very raw situation ready for you to put your stamp on things.

But how about the worst jobs?

Richmond, unrealistic expectations.

Crest, meddling parents.

#5 CatholicCougs14

CatholicCougs14

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 10:54 AM

AL.Brown? 

AL Brown is open?

68 Playoff Wins

40+ Years of Excellence

Basketball:

#6 CatholicCougs14

CatholicCougs14

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 10:55 AM

Wakefield, it's a great school atmosphere.

Fairmont, supportive admin.

Olympic, incredible talent to work with, very raw situation ready for you to put your stamp on things.

But how about the worst jobs?

Richmond, unrealistic expectations.

Crest, meddling parents.

Throw Indy on there with the meddling parents. I think Richmond and Crest both have tremendous updsides, but there are some disadvantages too with those schools that for many coaches I can see outweighing the advantages. 

68 Playoff Wins

40+ Years of Excellence

Basketball:

#7 Steelers71

Steelers71

Established Member

• Coach
  • 672 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 10:58 AM

AL Brown is not open. Top 5 open jobs:

1. The job where Administration values football. And they will let you run the program the way you want to. Regardless of parents and their opinions.

2. Washington- good facilities, area, athletes, administration

3. Olympic- not used to being great so parents probably aren't crazy

4. Richmond- money, resources, and a great athletic pool for the coming years. But, WIN NOW!! And WIN BIG!

5. Crest- See Richmond comments

#8 tigercoach55

tigercoach55

JV Team

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 11:30 AM

Richmond-Unbelievable resources and support from the community.
Crest-Smaall town but football is king.
Washington-Great facilities.
Freedom-Nick Saban recruits there.
Independence-Big I is waiting onna rock star to bring back greatness.

#9 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,244 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 11:49 AM

AL Brown is not open. Top 5 open jobs:

1. The job where Administration values football. And they will let you run the program the way you want to. Regardless of parents and their opinions.

2. Washington- good facilities, area, athletes, administration

3. Olympic- not used to being great so parents probably aren't crazy

4. Richmond- money, resources, and a great athletic pool for the coming years. But, WIN NOW!! And WIN BIG!

5. Crest- See Richmond comments

What school is number one.

#10 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,244 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 11:50 AM

Crest
Richmond
Davidson Day-with ability to recruit it is

You wonder if Chad stepped down because he is limited academically and financially on admissions.  Just a question as I have no idea why he left.

#11 84k

Established Member

• Members
  • 980 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 12:03 PM

AL.Brown?

Dont start rumors like that work7. But you might make somebody happy.:)

#12 CatholicCougs14

CatholicCougs14

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 12:17 PM

You wonder if Chad stepped down because he is limited academically and financially on admissions. Just a question as I have no idea why he left.

Maybe he did. I have no clue either, from what one reporter said on twitter maybe he's heading to a college

68 Playoff Wins

40+ Years of Excellence

Basketball:

#13 Steelers71

Steelers71

Established Member

• Coach
  • 672 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 01:22 PM

What school is number one.

That's the million dollar question. I actually don't think the best job has come open yet. I expect there to be a few more big ones. But I would amend my top 5 if I have to put in a #1.

1. Independence. If and only if the new principal has your back. If the principal was there when Scott Young was hired, then Indy is off the list all together. And I would move Washington up to 1, and put Freedom in at 5. 

#14 CMChargers

CMChargers

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 01:30 PM

Indy showed their backside with the Scott Young ordeal.

I'd avoid that one for the time being if I could.

#15 CatholicCougs14

CatholicCougs14

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 01:35 PM

That's the million dollar question. I actually don't think the best job has come open yet. I expect there to be a few more big ones. But I would amend my top 5 if I have to put in a #1.

1. Independence. If and only if the new principal has your back. If the principal was there when Scott Young was hired, then Indy is off the list all together. And I would move Washington up to 1, and put Freedom in at 5. 

If Indy is a great job then throw your name in the hat. Indy showed their back to a class coach in Scott Young. Why would a good coach want to go there after what happened? Look at Marvin Ridge, great area, great booster club, great fan base, good teams under Chadwick but parents drove him away and it took 4 years for one coach to stay there more than a year. Same thing will probably happen at Indy. 

68 Playoff Wins

40+ Years of Excellence

Basketball:

#16 Wrigley

Wrigley

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,544 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 02:01 PM

Long way to go..

#17 Steelers71

Steelers71

Established Member

• Coach
  • 672 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 02:37 PM

If Indy is a great job then throw your name in the hat. Indy showed their back to a class coach in Scott Young. Why would a good coach want to go there after what happened? Look at Marvin Ridge, great area, great booster club, great fan base, good teams under Chadwick but parents drove him away and it took 4 years for one coach to stay there more than a year. Same thing will probably happen at Indy. 

That's why I said IF the principal was there when Scott Young was hired, then Indy is off the list altogether. That means pass on it! If parents and boosters have any say it what you do as the coach, it is a bad situation. No way I would go after the Indy job if the current principal had anything to do with the treatment of Scott Young. Clear enough for you CC14?

#18 CatholicCougs14

CatholicCougs14

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 02:43 PM

That's why I said IF the principal was there when Scott Young was hired, then Indy is off the list altogether. That means pass on it! If parents and boosters have any say it what you do as the coach, it is a bad situation. No way I would go after the Indy job if the current principal had anything to do with the treatment of Scott Young. Clear enough for you CC14?

Then it is not a great job. That principal I am pretty sure was new last year so highly doubt that person is gone. Even if they are what if the new one is just as easily influenced? 

Yeah not a great job and not even close to a great job right now. I'd put it on Chris' "worst jobs" list right now. 

68 Playoff Wins

40+ Years of Excellence

Basketball:

#19 Wrigley

Wrigley

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,544 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 03:20 PM

Taking Indy to task on the Young deal has become old news. Time for everyone to turn the page. Lets not kid ourselves its public high school football and parents are always going to play a role and they should. Its what the the administration does that determines whether it will be a positive or negative influence. Everyone gets an opinion not everyone gets a vote.

Is it a good job?? Of course. Overwhelming talent enough so that you are only 2 years removed from a undefeated regular season. Your neighborhood rival is also going through a coaching transition.

The right guy and some patience could turn Indy into a top 10 school in the state.

#20 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,244 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 03:24 PM

Whether a job is "great" or "bad" or whatever has a lot to do with the stage of the career of the coach that is interested and their ability.  

Indy could be a great opportunity for a guy that may have hit a few bumps or never been a head coach.  Then again it may be a complete catastrophe.  Richmond could be a crushing end to a strong coaches career or make him absolutely miserable.  For an assistant on his first HC position it may be overwhelming even if the person has been on staff and is from Rockingham or it could lead to a long distringuished career.  

I think the position and the person are mutual and relevant.  Harding was down when Knotts went there as was Dutch Fork.  People said he could not win at either place. Told him Harding would send him back to an assistant positon and DF would ruin his legacy.  He was told that he could not compete for state titles at Indy as he did at WC.  

#21 Steelers71

Steelers71

Established Member

• Coach
  • 672 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 04:07 PM

All hail Tommy Knotts! Best in the business in my humble opinion. What he has done at all his stops has been amazing. And I totally agree that Indy could be back on top in no time. If the Administration will stay out of the way and let the new coach do his job. 

#22 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 06:17 PM

More openings are coming. Best job may have not come open yet. Of those open I would say Crest because of the stream of athletes. Football will always be the first priority.

#23 CoachG

CoachG

JV Team

• Coach
  • 52 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 08:50 PM

Just because there are athletes at some of these places doesnt make them great jobs. Just because they won championships in the past doesn't make them great jobs. Crazy fans, meddling parents, weak administrations are all big time red flags. When coaches who win 80 percent of their games are run off or when you have the crap that went on at Indy--those aren't great places to be. Why be miserable? Life--and coaching careers--are to short for that.

#24 hokiemtc

hokiemtc

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 23 December 2016 - 03:52 PM

Your neighborhood rival is also going through a coaching transition.

Sounds like that's not going to be the case afterall.

#25 Wrigley

Wrigley

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,544 posts

Posted 23 December 2016 - 04:32 PM

Just because there are athletes at some of these places doesnt make them great jobs. Just because they won championships in the past doesn't make them great jobs. Crazy fans, meddling parents, weak administrations are all big time red flags. When coaches who win 80 percent of their games are run off or when you have the crap that went on at Indy--those aren't great places to be. Why be miserable? Life--and coaching careers--are to short for that.

Lets be honest and less hypocritical. Sure life and coaching careers are short but in the end doesn't this always come down to compensation. I hear all the time about the ills of crazy fans and meddling parents and yet top flight coaches in NC always seem to want to flock to South Carolina, Georgia or Texas. Do those issues not exist there?   Of course not and in most cases the issues  multiply 10 fold so why the desire to coach where the issues are worse??    Clearly its the bucks....

I am perfectly fine with that and am in lock step with the thought process because that is the case with many careers. I just think that in most cases its not so much  all these issues that keep being brought up as much as it is the lack of compensation for dealing with those issues. 

JeffChapman-Dynamic