Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

UPDATED: Richmond head coach Mike Castellano resigns, who's next?

• Please log in to reply
277 replies to this topic

#201 BD4443

BD4443

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 04:47 PM

Lately in NC it seems that the more established coaches are not valued, even the ones who have been proven winners over time. Everyone seems to want a newer shinier model.

They don't come any more proven than Paul Hoggard. But he was not good enough for the Raiders. It will be interesting to see what shiny new model they go after next.

Same for Crest probably.

Hoggard had a stellar record at Richmond. Everyone seems to think that if a coach can win with athletes from one part of the state then they can win with any athletes in any part of the state. That is not always true.  Especially if you are not in an area in which "transfers" are counted on heavily to round out the team from year to year. In some areas that is huge. In rural areas it is not. You have to play with who you have.

Different regions, different styles of football, different mindsets, different values, different upbringing. What's the saying? You don't know what you got til it's gone.

#202 RaiderDebater

RaiderDebater

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 07:31 PM

Lately in NC it seems that the more established coaches are not valued, even the ones who have been proven winners over time. Everyone seems to want a newer shinier model.

They don't come any more proven than Paul Hoggard. But he was not good enough for the Raiders. It will be interesting to see what shiny new model they go after next.

Same for Crest probably.

Hoggard had a stellar record at Richmond. Everyone seems to think that if a coach can win with athletes from one part of the state then they can win with any athletes in any part of the state. That is not always true. Especially if you are not in an area in which "transfers" are counted on heavily to round out the team from year to year. In some areas that is huge. In rural areas it is not. You have to play with who you have.

Different regions, different styles of football, different mindsets, different values, different upbringing. What's the saying? You don't know what you got til it's gone.

Richmond is now one coach removed from Hoggard. It's time to move on, and stop beating a dead horse. He's moved on, so should everyone.

#203 RD28327

RD28327

CP Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,447 posts
  • Email:reubendavis@embarqmail.com

Posted 10 January 2017 - 07:52 PM

And the saga continues ...

http://yourdailyjour...ongoing-process

#204 Raider2015

Raider2015

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 07:53 AM

Chris or anybody have you heard anything?

#205 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 17,995 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 10:08 AM

Chris or anybody have you heard anything?

I've decided to stay a little quiet this time after how the selection process when last time.  I felt too much info got out and I don't want to be a part of any mis-information getting out.

I know they've spoken with a few coaches and I feel they may have and idea about where they want to go.  I have had some coaches talk to me offline about how the situation has gone but I'll keep that info confidential. 

#206 scotswin

scotswin

Established Member

• Members
  • 634 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 10:11 AM

Esp if they lose to Scotland

Continue to be used to that.
No doubt it continues next year.

#207 Raider2015

Raider2015

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 05:37 PM

Looks like they are doing the same thing as last time and keeping it from the people i guess ill prepare for another 3 month wait

#208 RaiderDebater

RaiderDebater

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 06:10 PM

Anyone read the Richmond County Daily Journal lately?

#209 richmondraidersbooster

richmondraidersbooster

JV Team

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 06:27 PM

Yes apparently an assistant coach at Richmond has backers that paid for an ad for him to be hired.

#210 RaiderDebater

RaiderDebater

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 07:33 PM

It's wild stuff. Never seen anything like it.

#211 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,244 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 07:57 PM

"Hire Brad.  It's the right thing."

#212 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,244 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 08:00 PM

How many schools would hire Brad for their HC position?  

#213 richmondraidersbooster

richmondraidersbooster

JV Team

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 08:52 PM

I am not sure. Maybe some smaller schools. He could do like Nick Eddins when we went to West Montgomery and became a head coach. The job posting says one of the requirements is head coach experience. I guess some people want to get around that.

#214 RD28327

RD28327

CP Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,447 posts
  • Email:reubendavis@embarqmail.com

Posted 19 January 2017 - 05:17 PM

Will recent push for Denson affect Richmond Senior’s coach search?

http://yourdailyjour...rs-coach-search

#215 Steelers71

Steelers71

Established Member

• Coach
  • 672 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 05:56 PM

It's a cluster.... Now!

#216 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 17,995 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 06:09 PM

What have we learned here lately, especially at school like Independence?  When you let the parents and boosters have a say in the program, you (as the administration) lose total control.  I applaud the administration for sticking to their guns and keeping things quiet and not caving to the desires of a mostly uneducated and unqualified crowd of supporters.  I'm not saying that Coach Denson isn't qualified because I know he is, but I feel at this point its more important that the school reclaim total control of the program.

Until the $100 dollar steak dinners of the Daryl Barnes era come back and mega money shows back up in Rockingham, this program won't be what it was in terms of having major influence from outsiders in the community.  

While I haven't posted, I know about every candidate that has walked through that building, mostly because they have told me, and the fact that you haven't seen what I would call an A-list group of coaches seeking out that job, it kind of tells you about the landscape in that region and what people think about where that program is.

Richmond is still a premier school and I think with the amount of youth they've played these past two seasons that 2017 and especially 2018 could be huge championship contending years.  I've always been a huge supporter of the program, I spent a lot of time there when Coach Emory and Hoggard were running things and I was in constant contact with Coach Castellano so I know a lot about that community and I do think this program could regain its spot atop the N.C. high school football landscape, but we really need to see some continuity and a coach be given a chance to implement a program and be able to execute his plan without constant heckling from so-called supporters.  

The biggest thing to remember here is that the program is there to support the kids involved and provide an avenue and a vehicle for them to hopefully advance to better places in their lives, not a tool for old men to relive their Al Bundy years and try to use their influence to control what goes on.  Let the educators run the show, let them find someone who will teach these young men, and just sit back and enjoy the ride.  Not many programs have been blessed to have the run they have had at Richmond Senior. 

#217 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 17,995 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 06:11 PM

If I were an AD at a school, I would hire him.  

#218 RaiderDebater

RaiderDebater

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 06:24 PM

A little off-topic, but I wonder why it seems to be so hard for administrators to keep parents and boosters out of the decision-making process? Have a backbone.

#219 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,244 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 06:38 PM

If I were an AD at a school, I would hire him.  

For a lot of jobs, absolutely.  I do not think Denson is nearly as bad in various ways as some are alledging.  If he does not get the job now I would recommend him to look at other OC/DC or HC options.  Prove yourself there and all of the RC history is the icing on the cake in an interview.

As a very informed RC supporter told me today, "if you swap him and Nick Eddins careers, Brad would be the number one choice for the the HC position."  He went onto say, "if Nick were interested he would probably have already been hired but you wonder why is he not interested.  Is it that good at WM or is RC that is the hold up."  I figure a portion of both.

I think it is very likely a coach with a state title as an HC could be hired just as that was the case to the very end last time.  Always interesting following Richmond County.

#220 Wrigley

Wrigley

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,544 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 06:54 PM

A little off-topic, but I wonder why it seems to be so hard for administrators to keep parents and boosters out of the decision-making process? Have a backbone.

Great question and i dont have the time to post intelligently on the subject right now but suffice to say the entitlement generation is growing up fast and you are beginning to get the fringe of that as parents . It only gets worse from here.

#221 blackjackwally

blackjackwally

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 08:25 PM

What I'm reading all over the place is that people are stating what the head coaching requirements are and that they make Brad inelligible for the hc position. What people aren't saying or don't know is that our superintendant has just recently added these stipulations. She has tied the hands of the AD and principal and then told them to hire a coach, while trying to give the impression she has nothing to do with the hire. The only ones who can change this are the current b of e members, and not a single one of them has the testicular fortitude to stand up to her. To my knowledge, no other hc has been hired (other than Castellano) with superintendant input, but I may be wrong. What is truly sad about this whole ordeal is that with the super, it's personal. There is a giant elephant in the room that no one is talking about, and I won't, either, except to say that it's really not about Brad. He's just the vehicle she's using to piss somebody off. As Brad supporters, we are in no way trying to dictate who the next coach should be. All anyone wants, including Brad, is for him to at least have a shot at it. Just be fair.

#222 Wrigley

Wrigley

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,544 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 08:30 PM

What I'm reading all over the place is that people are stating what the head coaching requirements are and that they make Brad inelligible for the hc position. What people aren't saying or don't know is that our superintendant has just recently added these stipulations. She has tied the hands of the AD and principal and then told them to hire a coach, while trying to give the impression she has nothing to do with the hire. The only ones who can change this are the current b of e members, and not a single one of them has the testicular fortitude to stand up to her. To my knowledge, no other hc has been hired (other than Castellano) with superintendant input, but I may be wrong. What is truly sad about this whole ordeal is that with the super, it's personal. There is a giant elephant in the room that no one is talking about, and I won't, either, except to say that it's really not about Brad. He's just the vehicle she's using to piss somebody off. As Brad supporters, we are in no way trying to dictate who the next coach should be. All anyone wants, including Brad, is for him to at least have a shot at it. Just be fair.

Whats wrong with just letting the people who do the hiring just hire someone. Everyone can have an opinion but not everyone gets a vote. Its really just that simple.

Wasnt she hired to oversee the educational system?? Why wouldnt she play a role in a high profile hire?

#223 blackjackwally

blackjackwally

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 08:42 PM

Principals and ADs hire coaches. Superintendants hire principals. Ask her why she won't allow them to do their job.

#224 Raiders007

Raiders007

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 08:45 PM

I've never posted on this forum, but appreciate the sincere comments from folks who are knowledgeable. I also appreciate someone like Chris Hughes who has knowledge and is honest despite what a few ludicrous people say about those seeking the position.

I remember the Daryl Barnes era very clearly. I remember those $100 steak dinners and elaborate meals for players before games. I also know who paid for most of those meals, and Brad Denson has the full support of two men who spearheaded those contributions.

Chris, I understand your point of wanting to see the school take total control of the situation. Unfortunately, they can't. The superintendent has control of this game... the ball is in her court. She has put a requirement in place that limits the pool of candidates and told the principal and athletic director to choose from those who meet her requirements. The school board members don't even have control of that woman (about the head coach position nor any other issues in Richmond County Schools).

I will also agree with blackjackwally. There is an elephant in the room that you may not be aware of, Chris. There's a remote history involving the superintendent and her desire to keep Brad from any promotion (teaching, football, baseball)... it's pathetic and far beyond unprofessional on her part.

The community support Brad has received is unbelievable. Truthfully, those who support him aren't throwing ridiculous fits like the few who clearly against him personally and professionally. Instead opinions are being voiced in a mature manner via email, telephone, and social media. There's something to be said about that... Richmond County evolves around Raider football, and I believe without doubt, that if Brad isn't given an opportunity, the Raiders will see an all-time low community support.

#225 RaiderDebater

RaiderDebater

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 09:01 PM

Principals and ADs hire coaches. Superintendants hire principals. Ask her why she won't allow them to do their job.

Never heard of a superintendent taking charge of the hiring process, either. I have my own personal grievances about the superintendent, but it has more to do with trickle-down economics (refer to the article of her raise and cafeteria workers) of the educational system down there. Let those who are paid (admin & AD) make the decision, and make sure the kids down there are college-ready, because THAT is a huge problem down there.

JeffChapman-Dynamic