Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

UPDATED: Richmond head coach Mike Castellano resigns, who's next?

• Please log in to reply
263 replies to this topic

#201 Steelers71

Steelers71

Established Member

• Coach
  • 748 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 05:56 PM

It's a cluster.... Now!

#202 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 18,535 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 06:09 PM

What have we learned here lately, especially at school like Independence?  When you let the parents and boosters have a say in the program, you (as the administration) lose total control.  I applaud the administration for sticking to their guns and keeping things quiet and not caving to the desires of a mostly uneducated and unqualified crowd of supporters.  I'm not saying that Coach Denson isn't qualified because I know he is, but I feel at this point its more important that the school reclaim total control of the program.

Until the $100 dollar steak dinners of the Daryl Barnes era come back and mega money shows back up in Rockingham, this program won't be what it was in terms of having major influence from outsiders in the community.  

While I haven't posted, I know about every candidate that has walked through that building, mostly because they have told me, and the fact that you haven't seen what I would call an A-list group of coaches seeking out that job, it kind of tells you about the landscape in that region and what people think about where that program is.

Richmond is still a premier school and I think with the amount of youth they've played these past two seasons that 2017 and especially 2018 could be huge championship contending years.  I've always been a huge supporter of the program, I spent a lot of time there when Coach Emory and Hoggard were running things and I was in constant contact with Coach Castellano so I know a lot about that community and I do think this program could regain its spot atop the N.C. high school football landscape, but we really need to see some continuity and a coach be given a chance to implement a program and be able to execute his plan without constant heckling from so-called supporters.  

The biggest thing to remember here is that the program is there to support the kids involved and provide an avenue and a vehicle for them to hopefully advance to better places in their lives, not a tool for old men to relive their Al Bundy years and try to use their influence to control what goes on.  Let the educators run the show, let them find someone who will teach these young men, and just sit back and enjoy the ride.  Not many programs have been blessed to have the run they have had at Richmond Senior. 

#203 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 18,535 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 06:11 PM

How many schools would hire Brad for their HC position?  

If I were an AD at a school, I would hire him.  

#204 RaiderDebater

RaiderDebater

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 06:24 PM

A little off-topic, but I wonder why it seems to be so hard for administrators to keep parents and boosters out of the decision-making process? Have a backbone.

#205 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,619 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 06:38 PM

If I were an AD at a school, I would hire him.  

For a lot of jobs, absolutely.  I do not think Denson is nearly as bad in various ways as some are alledging.  If he does not get the job now I would recommend him to look at other OC/DC or HC options.  Prove yourself there and all of the RC history is the icing on the cake in an interview.

As a very informed RC supporter told me today, "if you swap him and Nick Eddins careers, Brad would be the number one choice for the the HC position."  He went onto say, "if Nick were interested he would probably have already been hired but you wonder why is he not interested.  Is it that good at WM or is RC that is the hold up."  I figure a portion of both.

I think it is very likely a coach with a state title as an HC could be hired just as that was the case to the very end last time.  Always interesting following Richmond County.

#206 Wrigley

Wrigley

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,874 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 06:54 PM

A little off-topic, but I wonder why it seems to be so hard for administrators to keep parents and boosters out of the decision-making process? Have a backbone.

Great question and i dont have the time to post intelligently on the subject right now but suffice to say the entitlement generation is growing up fast and you are beginning to get the fringe of that as parents . It only gets worse from here.

#207 blackjackwally

blackjackwally

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 08:25 PM

What I'm reading all over the place is that people are stating what the head coaching requirements are and that they make Brad inelligible for the hc position. What people aren't saying or don't know is that our superintendant has just recently added these stipulations. She has tied the hands of the AD and principal and then told them to hire a coach, while trying to give the impression she has nothing to do with the hire. The only ones who can change this are the current b of e members, and not a single one of them has the testicular fortitude to stand up to her. To my knowledge, no other hc has been hired (other than Castellano) with superintendant input, but I may be wrong. What is truly sad about this whole ordeal is that with the super, it's personal. There is a giant elephant in the room that no one is talking about, and I won't, either, except to say that it's really not about Brad. He's just the vehicle she's using to piss somebody off. As Brad supporters, we are in no way trying to dictate who the next coach should be. All anyone wants, including Brad, is for him to at least have a shot at it. Just be fair.

#208 Wrigley

Wrigley

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,874 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 08:30 PM

What I'm reading all over the place is that people are stating what the head coaching requirements are and that they make Brad inelligible for the hc position. What people aren't saying or don't know is that our superintendant has just recently added these stipulations. She has tied the hands of the AD and principal and then told them to hire a coach, while trying to give the impression she has nothing to do with the hire. The only ones who can change this are the current b of e members, and not a single one of them has the testicular fortitude to stand up to her. To my knowledge, no other hc has been hired (other than Castellano) with superintendant input, but I may be wrong. What is truly sad about this whole ordeal is that with the super, it's personal. There is a giant elephant in the room that no one is talking about, and I won't, either, except to say that it's really not about Brad. He's just the vehicle she's using to piss somebody off. As Brad supporters, we are in no way trying to dictate who the next coach should be. All anyone wants, including Brad, is for him to at least have a shot at it. Just be fair.

Whats wrong with just letting the people who do the hiring just hire someone. Everyone can have an opinion but not everyone gets a vote. Its really just that simple.

Wasnt she hired to oversee the educational system?? Why wouldnt she play a role in a high profile hire?

#209 blackjackwally

blackjackwally

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 08:42 PM

Principals and ADs hire coaches. Superintendants hire principals. Ask her why she won't allow them to do their job.

#210 Raiders007

Raiders007

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 08:45 PM

I've never posted on this forum, but appreciate the sincere comments from folks who are knowledgeable. I also appreciate someone like Chris Hughes who has knowledge and is honest despite what a few ludicrous people say about those seeking the position.

I remember the Daryl Barnes era very clearly. I remember those $100 steak dinners and elaborate meals for players before games. I also know who paid for most of those meals, and Brad Denson has the full support of two men who spearheaded those contributions.

Chris, I understand your point of wanting to see the school take total control of the situation. Unfortunately, they can't. The superintendent has control of this game... the ball is in her court. She has put a requirement in place that limits the pool of candidates and told the principal and athletic director to choose from those who meet her requirements. The school board members don't even have control of that woman (about the head coach position nor any other issues in Richmond County Schools).

I will also agree with blackjackwally. There is an elephant in the room that you may not be aware of, Chris. There's a remote history involving the superintendent and her desire to keep Brad from any promotion (teaching, football, baseball)... it's pathetic and far beyond unprofessional on her part.

The community support Brad has received is unbelievable. Truthfully, those who support him aren't throwing ridiculous fits like the few who clearly against him personally and professionally. Instead opinions are being voiced in a mature manner via email, telephone, and social media. There's something to be said about that... Richmond County evolves around Raider football, and I believe without doubt, that if Brad isn't given an opportunity, the Raiders will see an all-time low community support.

#211 RaiderDebater

RaiderDebater

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 09:01 PM

Principals and ADs hire coaches. Superintendants hire principals. Ask her why she won't allow them to do their job.

Never heard of a superintendent taking charge of the hiring process, either. I have my own personal grievances about the superintendent, but it has more to do with trickle-down economics (refer to the article of her raise and cafeteria workers) of the educational system down there. Let those who are paid (admin & AD) make the decision, and make sure the kids down there are college-ready, because THAT is a huge problem down there.

#212 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 18,535 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 09:25 PM

I'll say this, in most single high school systems or city school districts, it is most common that the superintendent has ultimate control in head coaching hires.

Normally head coaches desire it when the super is in charge and the coach can bypass the AD and principal to get things done.

#213 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 18,535 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 09:31 PM

BlackJackWally and Raiders007, I appreciate both of your insights and demeanor in how you presented your cases.

I agree with both of your points. I do understand the dynamic you were trying to point out.

#214 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,619 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 09:50 PM

There are few systems with only one high school in NC at this time but there was a time when the city would have a school system and the county.  The few that I know that had one high school received very hands on treatment from the system superintendent especially (!!!) if that superintendent had a football background.  I know of one system where the superintendent reviewed all applications, did the interviews by himself, and made the selection.  No input from anyone.  

#215 RaiderNation

RaiderNation

Established Member

• Members
  • 680 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 09:50 PM

I hate all the division that's going on in Richmond County. The one group no one ever talks about is the other members of the football coaching staff. And I have it on good authority that Denson is NOT the choice of the current staff if a hire was made within. He was certainly NOT the choice 2 yrs ago among that staff if a hire was made within. How do I know? I talk to those guys all the time. That tells me more than anything else.

#216 Wrigley

Wrigley

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,874 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 09:57 PM

Never heard of a superintendent taking charge of the hiring process, either. I have my own personal grievances about the superintendent, but it has more to do with trickle-down economics (refer to the article of her raise and cafeteria workers) of the educational system down there. Let those who are paid (admin & AD) make the decision, and make sure the kids down there are college-ready, because THAT is a huge problem down there.

I dont hear taking charge. I hear setting parameters for a hire. The one that seems to  disqualifies Mr. Denson is that the individual has to have HC experience. Take the emotion out of it in regards to him and there isn't anyone who doesn't think that previous HC experience should be a prerequisite for the HC of Richmond. There is absolutely nothing wrong with setting up guidelines for what is clearly an important hire for the school and the community.

The great thing and also the worst thing about the football passions in these smaller rural towns is people lose perspective. Way too much inside baseball and everyone has " their guy" . I'm fine with people voicing their opinions and the ad in the paper strikes me as silly but doesnt offend me but lets be honest. They had a great coach and the lunatic fringe ran him out. Whoever they hire isnt winning a state title any time soon.......So the bigger question really becomes not so much who its gonna be but how long does he last?

#217 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,619 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 10:08 PM

I've never posted on this forum, but appreciate the sincere comments from folks who are knowledgeable. I also appreciate someone like Chris Hughes who has knowledge and is honest despite what a few ludicrous people say about those seeking the position.

I remember the Daryl Barnes era very clearly. I remember those $100 steak dinners and elaborate meals for players before games. I also know who paid for most of those meals, and Brad Denson has the full support of two men who spearheaded those contributions.

Chris, I understand your point of wanting to see the school take total control of the situation. Unfortunately, they can't. The superintendent has control of this game... the ball is in her court. She has put a requirement in place that limits the pool of candidates and told the principal and athletic director to choose from those who meet her requirements. The school board members don't even have control of that woman (about the head coach position nor any other issues in Richmond County Schools).

I will also agree with blackjackwally. There is an elephant in the room that you may not be aware of, Chris. There's a remote history involving the superintendent and her desire to keep Brad from any promotion (teaching, football, baseball)... it's pathetic and far beyond unprofessional on her part.

The community support Brad has received is unbelievable. Truthfully, those who support him aren't throwing ridiculous fits like the few who clearly against him personally and professionally. Instead opinions are being voiced in a mature manner via email, telephone, and social media. There's something to be said about that... Richmond County evolves around Raider football, and I believe without doubt, that if Brad isn't given an opportunity, the Raiders will see an all-time low community support.

Welcome to the forum Raiders07!  Please keep posting!!!

The Board of Education can hire or fire the superintendent.  Do they want to make a change in the superintendent position and if so what is keeping them from making the move? 

I was told that if Ricky stepped away from baseball that Brad would be a definite option to get that position.  A big positive is that Brad played college baseball plus he is the number two guy on the staff.  

Raider07, What is the most important aspect in hiring a new head football coach for Richmond Senior?

#218 Raiders007

Raiders007

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 10:26 PM

Btango, you are correct. The BOE can hire and fire, but the BOE in Richmond County is scared. Just a little background... I know a multitude of people who have a Richmond County ties and have applied for various positions within this system (and were well qualified). Folks from out of state were chosen for those positions over "homegrown" folks. The BOE is aware but sit back with sealed lips and watch it happen... because that's what the superintendent wants. I can't say they want her out (despite a community full of people who would love to see her ousted), but if they did, they are all brown-nosers and scared to make a motion.

You are probably correct about the baseball position. Brad would most likely fill that role, but I've heard he has no interest in a baseball head coaching position. And in Richmond County, baseball is big, but it's nothing like a Friday night at Raider Stadium.

And just since you asked, I will give my two cents. The position at Richmond is unique. It's the only high school in the county and the head coach position is more like that of an elected official - everyone thinks they have a vote. I've listed some things I think are important to consider when hiring:
- Will the head coach reside in Richmond County and be actively involved in the community?
- Does the head coach have a good understanding of the community - economics, neighborhoods, and even politics?
- Is the head coach a man of integrity with excellent leadership skills and ability to mentor young men?
- Does the head coach have experience (as an assistant or head coach) in a setting like that of Richmond County?
- Will the head coach have the knowledge and ability to surround himself with knowledgeable assistant coaches who will help him win?
- AND PROBABLY MOST IMPORTANTLY... Does the head coach have longevity? Will he stick around Richmond County through thick and thin... or is Richmond County a pit stop before moving on to bigger and better things?

#219 work7

work7

• Members
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 10:50 PM

It's sad when the last 3 years, who's going to be the next coach thread, becomes bigger than the actual program.  SMH!

#220 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,619 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 11:03 PM

You are probably correct about the baseball position. Brad would most likely fill that role, but I've heard he has no interest in a baseball head coaching position. And in Richmond County, baseball is big, but it's nothing like a Friday night at Raider Stadium.

And just since you asked, I will give my two cents. The position at Richmond is unique. It's the only high school in the county and the head coach position is more like that of an elected official - everyone thinks they have a vote. I've listed some things I think are important to consider when hiring:
- Will the head coach reside in Richmond County and be actively involved in the community?
- Does the head coach have a good understanding of the community - economics, neighborhoods, and even politics?
- Is the head coach a man of integrity with excellent leadership skills and ability to mentor young men?
- Does the head coach have experience (as an assistant or head coach) in a setting like that of Richmond County?
- Will the head coach have the knowledge and ability to surround himself with knowledgeable assistant coaches who will help him win?
- AND PROBABLY MOST IMPORTANTLY... Does the head coach have longevity? Will he stick around Richmond County through thick and thin... or is Richmond County a pit stop before moving on to bigger and better things?

Thanks for the reply!

He nearly took a baseball HC position a few years ago at the coast but the family opted to not make the move.

You described Paul Hoggard.

#221 banditback

banditback

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 07:02 AM

Haha....I think we can all answer that one. NO. He might stick around through the THICK, but he will not be around for long if it gets THIN. And THIN may be 8 or 9 wins.

#222 Raiders007

Raiders007

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 07:56 AM

Btango, funny you say I described Paul. I had no intentions of doing that, but I know Brad and Paul personally. I also know that Paul Hoggard was molding Brad into a head coach. While many people use some pretty nasty adjectives to describe Brad, they never actually give examples. Those same people supported Paul Hoggard. I would venture to say that Paul would whole-heartedly disagree with them.

#223 RaiderNation

RaiderNation

Established Member

• Members
  • 680 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 08:55 AM

2 other funny things.
1. Brad stated years ago that he would be the next head football coach AND baseball coach at Richmond. So don't think he wouldn't jump on the baseball job.
2. Paul Hoggard did not endorse Brad last time to be head coach. Member of his staff....yes. Molding....no.

#224 raider1

raider1

JV Team

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 09:27 AM

2 other funny things.
1. Brad stated years ago that he would be the next head football coach AND baseball coach at Richmond. So don't think he wouldn't jump on the baseball job.
2. Paul Hoggard did not endorse Brad last time to be head coach. Member of his staff....yes. Molding.Pa

Paul Hoggard was certainly a good one to be trained under for 5 years....If I'm not mistaken Coach Hoggard certainly wanted him on his staff at Edenton....Ive spoken with Coach Hoggard several times and never heard him say anything but good things about Coach Denson.....Maybe someone should contact him and ask him if he would endorse him, I'd be willing to bet it would be a 100% YES... ......An endorsement from him would go a long way......Brad is a very smart young man , and I know and the people of Richmond County know he NEVER made a stupid statement like you suggest...You are really a bitter person.....I think he is a great young coach who will be a valuable asset wherever he's at.....Ive heard nothing but good things about him from people all over Richmond County.....With Mr Hughes saying he would hire him if he was an AD GOES A LONG WAY IN THE COACHING PROFESSION....I'm supporting whoever gets the job,and I'll be willing to bet Coach Denson will also.......All the bad things said about RC are not true...We love all of our sports and all of our kids.....Friday nights in RC are SPECIAL...

#225 Raiders007

Raiders007

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 09:34 AM

RaiderNation, believe what you want. Brad loves baseball, but he wants to be a head football coach (one of the other reasons he didn't take a baseball head coach position on the coast before he came to Richmond). I KNOW the telephone calls Paul Hoggard has made. He's not a man to make his opinion loud, but if Paul takes the time to make telephone calls on your behalf, you should consider yourself very fortunate (and respected by one of the greatest).

JeffChapman-Dynamic