Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

UPDATED: Richmond head coach Mike Castellano resigns, who's next?

• Please log in to reply
277 replies to this topic

#1 Raider2015

Raider2015

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 08:22 AM

The other message board is going nuts about it but nothing has been said in richmond co.

#2 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 17,790 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 10:03 AM

It's because the guys posting over there can't wait for official announcements to come down and allow players to hear the news through offficial sources rather than through partially uninformed second hand sources.

I have spoken with Coach Castellano but had chosen not say anything until at least Monday when things had been sorted out.

#3 Bullzye

Bullzye

Established Member

• Coach
  • 896 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 10:28 AM

Some of the folk on the other site are quick to run w/any info - & random speculation, as if it's knowledge to which they are privy. It's not @ all unlike how the media operates ... w/regard to "scoop." Attempts to be first (forwarding an impression of being "in the know"), it's all that matters to/for some nowadays. They have no respect for the folks who they're talking about, nor the affects their actions have upon collateral contingencies.

#4 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 17,790 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 10:31 AM

Well said Coach. You are 100% spot on. Time like this makes me glad there are multiple football forums for fans to partake in because a couple of those guys wouldn't fit in here.

#5 richmondraidersbooster

richmondraidersbooster

JV Team

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 10:50 AM

If he is leaving, best wishes to him.

#6 CatholicCougs14

CatholicCougs14

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 6,259 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 11:14 AM

Some of the folk on the other site are quick to run w/any info - & random speculation, as if it's knowledge to which they are privy. It's not @ all unlike how the media operates ... w/regard to "scoop." Attempts to be first (forwarding an impression of being "in the know"), it's all that matters to/for some nowadays. They have no respect for the folks who they're talking about, nor the affects their actions have upon collateral contingencies.

As someone who is planning on working in the media after college and has several family members in the media, being first is everything. My uncle who won 3 emmy's for sports production said "I don't care if the players don't know, that's on the coaches to tell them. I have a scoop and I'm running with it. It may not "be right" but in this day and age of sports news if you have info and it's credible then you run with it". That's my feelings on this. IF, and that is a big IF this is true news then I'm ok with it being posted, but if someone is just trying to stir the pot with no basis for their information then that is when I'm not ok with it. 

Charlotte Catholic Cougars

State Champions: 1977, 2004, 2005, 2015

22 Conference Championships

68 Playoff Wins

40+ Years of Excellence

Basketball:

State Champions: 2015

#7 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 17,790 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 11:18 AM

As someone who is planning on working in the media after college and has several family members in the media, being first is everything. My uncle who won 3 emmy's for sports production said "I don't care if the players don't know, that's on the coaches to tell them. I have a scoop and I'm running with it. It may not "be right" but in this day and age of sports news if you have info and it's credible then you run with it". That's my feelings on this. IF, and that is a big IF this is true news then I'm ok with it being posted, but if someone is just trying to stir the pot with no basis for their information then that is when I'm not ok with it.

I understand being first. But being first isn't better than being right. Trust me, I've been on both sides of that and experienced highs and lows because of it.

If this were professional sports, I would buy into what you just said, but this is high school and we're talking about teachers who are only paid pennies as an extra duty to coach.

#8 CatholicCougs14

CatholicCougs14

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 6,259 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 11:22 AM

I understand being first. But being first isn't better than being right. Trust me, I've been on both sides of that and experienced highs and lows because of it.

If this were professional sports, I would buy into what you just said, but this is high school and we're talking about teachers who are only paid pennies as an extra duty to coach.

It's a shame, but if he got fired and someone knows it for a fact then I'm ok with it. It's not like he is finding out about it on some message board. If the players find out via message boards then that sucks, but news does travel fast. It was not uncommon for college players to find out their coach left via ESPN or pro players to find out they've been cut while reading the bottom ticker on ESPN. 

68 Playoff Wins

40+ Years of Excellence

Basketball:

#9 Wrigley

Wrigley

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,452 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 11:30 AM

Mixed emotion. Someones talking inside Richmond. Lets hold them accountable first.

Its message board yahoos. They get it wrong way more times than not. How many times has Knotts been rumored to be going somewhere.

I agree with Chris. It is HS...nobody that i am aware of has a buyout clause and then there is the part about being a human being.

That said I have been reading about massive coaching turnover for several weeks now on several boards. Even on this site there is a certain " i know something you dont" going on. Everyone wants to be the holder of the secrets.

#10 CatholicCougs14

CatholicCougs14

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 6,259 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 11:37 AM

Mixed emotion. Someones talking inside Richmond. Lets hold them accountable first.

Its message board yahoos. They get it wrong way more times than not. How many times has Knotts been rumored to be going somewhere.

I agree with Chris. It is HS...nobody that i am aware of has a buyout clause and then there is the part about being a human being.

That said I have been reading about massive coaching turnover for several weeks now on several boards. Even on this site there is a certain " i know something you dont" going on. Everyone wants to be the holder of the secrets.

Exactly. We have a lot of people on here saying "BIG changes coming at big programs" eluding to firings/coaches leaving. Like I said if the info you have is credible and actually true, go ahead and post it, but if you're just some yahoo looking to stir stuff up with your rival than that's where I draw the line. 

68 Playoff Wins

40+ Years of Excellence

Basketball:

#11 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 17,790 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 11:37 AM

All I know is this. Mike Castellano is one helluva coach. A 51-15 record, all against 4AA competition and a boatload of college coaching experience to go along with his high school resume.

To say his offensive system was probably a shock to Richmond's run attack loving fans is probably an understatement but I saw this program make great strides and had the injury bug not hit like it did, I think they could've advanced to the finals this year. I think the Raiders, at least talent and experience wise is a year away from being 4AA title contenders.

I think other schools would be fools not to talk to Castellano, maybe they'll appreciate him more.

#12 CatholicCougs14

CatholicCougs14

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 6,259 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 11:41 AM

All I know is this. Mike Castellano is one helluva coach. A 51-15 record, all against 4AA competition and a boatload of college coaching experience to go along with his high school resume.

To say his offensive system was probably a shock to Richmond's run attack loving fans is probably an understatement but I saw this program make great strides and had the injury bug not hit like it did, I think they could've advanced to the finals this year. I think the Raiders, at least talent and experience wise is a year away from being 4AA title contenders.

I think other schools would be fools not to talk to Castellano, maybe they'll appreciate him more.

I agree, I think he is a very good coach and sad that some yahoo's were not happy with his offense just cause it wasn't "how things are around here." 

68 Playoff Wins

40+ Years of Excellence

Basketball:

#13 Wrigley

Wrigley

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,452 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 11:56 AM

From the way outside looking in there always seems to be something more than simply football that drives these issues in some of these one horse towns. Real possible there is stuff here that I am not privy to but in the end if they gave him 18 months and losses to Butler, Dudley and Scotland is what they saw as under achievement then I would say they have very little understanding of the complexity of managing and building a football program at a place like Richmond.

Wasnt the guy that was there before him supposed to have no clue as well??  He seems to be doing pretty well. 

#14 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 17,790 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 12:01 PM

They need an older, wiser coach. I don't think a young guy (Below 40) is ready for that pressure cooker.

#15 RaiderDebater

RaiderDebater

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 232 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 12:07 PM

I wouldn't refer anyone to this job if they are not seasoned and experienced, especially in environments where football is the only thing the community has. It's the only show in town, and there isn't much else to occupy time/minds.

#16 work7

work7

Established Member

• Members
  • 994 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 12:09 PM

Did Richmond guys not see what happened @ Indy? 

#17 RaiderDebater

RaiderDebater

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 232 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 12:24 PM

I'm a Raider fan, but I'm also a realist. With any entity, whether it be government, business, education, etc., when there's continuous turnover at the top, that's not a good indicator for what's going to happen in the future. I hope I'm wrong, but history tells me otherwise. The next hire needs to be one that the AD and principal, and only AD and principal, makes. The good thing is that there is ample time to comb through applicants, and make the best hire for the program. The Castellano hire was last minute, and he was the best candidate for the job at the time. I think Castellano had a great plan, but wasn't given enough time to change the philosophy.

Quiet as it's kept, there were numerous coaches who wouldn't even come near the job opening 2 years ago, and others who pulled themselves out of the running, so Richmond County also has to be aware of the fact that what happened with Castellano and Hoggard previously may not help those cases of coaches not wanting to go there.

Hoping for the best for my alma mater.

#18 Wrigley

Wrigley

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,452 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 12:29 PM

I'm a Raider fan, but I'm also a realist. With any entity, whether it be government, business, education, etc., when there's continuous turnover at the top, that's not a good indicator for what's going to happen in the future. I hope I'm wrong, but history tells me otherwise. The next hire needs to be one that the AD and principal, and only AD and principal, makes. The good thing is that there is ample time to comb through applicants, and make the best hire for the program. The Castellano hire was last minute, and he was the best candidate for the job at the time. I think Castellano had a great plan, but wasn't given enough time to change the philosophy.

Quiet as it's kept, there were numerous coaches who wouldn't even come near the job opening 2 years ago, and others who pulled themselves out of the running, so Richmond County also has to be aware of the fact that what happened with Castellano and Hoggard previously may not help those cases of coaches not wanting to go there.

Hoping for the best for my alma mater.

Yup...hit that on the button

#19 Raider2015

Raider2015

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 01:34 PM

If it does happen i hope it dosent these kids live him the parents are getting thier kids back in football, but it will set us back again because they will have to take to a new play system and I hope to god its not an option attack it is boring to watch!!!

#20 richmondraidersbooster

richmondraidersbooster

JV Team

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 01:49 PM

I would at least like a coach with Head Coach experience.....

#21 mrhonda

mrhonda

Established Member

• Members
  • 890 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 02:13 PM

On the other hand, you do have to be careful, as many people get their news, believe it or not from social media like Facebook.  So many fake or untrue news items are posted there, it's not even funny.  So, for me, the important is to (a) verify and (B) be accurate in the reporting. 

#22 Raider2015

Raider2015

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 02:18 PM

And its scotland fans that are reporting it too

#23 richmondraidersbooster

richmondraidersbooster

JV Team

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 02:21 PM

They probably have our school "bugged" , lol.

#24 scotswin

scotswin

Established Member

• Members
  • 634 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 02:30 PM

Well Scotlands sideline signals were passed on last week, so maybe Richmonds private information

getting the same.

#25 richmondraidersbooster

richmondraidersbooster

JV Team

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 02:40 PM

:ph34r: :ph34r:

JeffChapman-Dynamic