Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo

2017 Championship

4A Football

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Panther4lyfe

Panther4lyfe

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 10:37 PM

Who will Dudley be playing next year?

#2 BlueDevilsBiggestFan

BlueDevilsBiggestFan

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1,818 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 11:04 PM

Next year Dudley will be 3A so going to be interesting

#WeAreMooresville

~~BlueDevilsBiggestFan~~

#3 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 17,695 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 11:26 PM

Seriously?  Let this one breathe and be enjoyed by the Dudley faithful!  I'm not sure I would rank Dudley #1 coming back next year, they lose a ton of big-time talent.  But if we must, don't sleep on Weddington making a run at repeating and I'll tell you now, Charlotte Catholic, A.L. Brown, Mount Tabor, and J.M. Robinson will all be insanely good.  

#4 Panther4lyfe

Panther4lyfe

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 11:28 PM

Al Brown will be good.

#5 Cagle89

Cagle89

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 11:38 PM

Next year is gonna be a fun 3A...... 

#RaiderNation

3A State Champs

#6 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,071 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 12:27 AM

This year proves once again that subdividing needs to go. In the smaller subclasses the schools that usually win are nowhere near the smallest from the class and are often one of the largest of the small or A subclass.

The same teams are winning more than ever and by wide margins. Not good!

We sold out to the participation trophy concept of success.

#7 Panther4lyfe

Panther4lyfe

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 12:36 AM

This year proves once again that subdividing needs to go. In the smaller subclasses the schools that usually win are nowhere near the smallest from the class and are often one of the largest of the small or A subclass.

You aren't 100% correct. Dudley is one of the smallest schools in 4A. I think we will both agree that there were regional finals games on both sides that were way more competitive then some of the games today.

#8 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,071 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 12:46 AM

Dudley is a perfect example of a team that does not need subdividing to compete for titles.

#9 Panther4lyfe

Panther4lyfe

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 12:56 AM

It's a whatever generates the most money for the association. We could come up with two or three different playoff formats that would be better than what we have now

#10 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,071 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 01:05 AM

It's a whatever generates the most money for the association. We could come up with two or three different playoff formats that would be better than what we have now

That is not the driving force. The NCHSAA offered the schools some options with both less champions and less teams. The schools did not like them.

Example: recommended 1A to go to four rounds. Schools overwhelmingly against it.

Example: put a six champion plan to the schools but they were against it.

#11 sasha_nc

sasha_nc

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 01:29 AM

South Point has been playing in 3A for two years with borderline 3A/2A numbers.  Shelby is solid 2A but they beat a Monroe team with 3A numbers in the West 2AA Regional.

#12 CHEERDUCK

CHEERDUCK

CP Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 4,335 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 09:07 AM

That is not the driving force. The NCHSAA offered the schools some options with both less champions and less teams. The schools did not like them.

Example: recommended 1A to go to four rounds. Schools overwhelmingly against it.

Example: put a six champion plan to the schools but they were against it.

Then the votes need to be made public. I can't help but understand, through many post I've read, that the opposite is true. The schools (coaches) would not prefer split classifications. IMO, if it's not about money, all of the other sports would have split classifications as well. 

It's not where you start, but where you finish!

#13 CatholicCougs14

CatholicCougs14

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 6,237 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 07:19 PM

I think a certain RED PAIN will have something to say about Dudley repeating next year ;)

Charlotte Catholic Cougars

State Champions: 1977, 2004, 2005, 2015

22 Conference Championships

68 Playoff Wins

40+ Years of Excellence

Basketball:

State Champions: 2015

#14 Panther4lyfe

Panther4lyfe

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 08:33 PM

I think a certain RED PAIN will have something to say about Dudley repeating next year ;)

The Red Pain always has a say in it sir. How will Catholic look next season? Coming into this season most people thought this would be a rebuilding year for Catholic that sounds scary for next season.

#15 CatholicCougs14

CatholicCougs14

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 6,237 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 08:50 PM

The Red Pain always has a say in it sir. How will Catholic look next season? Coming into this season most people thought this would be a rebuilding year for Catholic that sounds scary for next season.

They will be very very good next year. The sophomore soon to be junior class is special. Catholic was overall pretty young, will have to replace the QB and a few studs on D, but Catholic should honestly be top 10 if not top 5 in 3A next year. 

68 Playoff Wins

40+ Years of Excellence

Basketball:

#16 Panther4lyfe

Panther4lyfe

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 10:27 PM

They will be very very good next year. The sophomore soon to be junior class is special. Catholic was overall pretty young, will have to replace the QB and a few studs on D, but Catholic should honestly be top 10 if not top 5 in 3A next year.

Will the new Qb be able to throw? That's what made the offense so difficult to defend this year.

#17 HawkSkaa

HawkSkaa

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 10:30 PM

The whole Southern Carolina Conf will be good!  Catholic, Monroe, Weddington, Marvin Ridge, Sun Valley, Cuthbertson, Parkwood, and Piedmont.  They are all going to be battle tested come playoff time... that or they will all be beat up from beating on each other all year. lol

#18 Fred Galey

Fred Galey

Gold Member

• Correspondent
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 10:49 PM

Smith, Mt. Tabor, Western Guilford, North Forsyth, Southwest Guilford and Parkland.... Beyond that...we'll see.

Yeah, I know. Master of the Obvious.

#19 kms51

kms51

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 431 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 11:31 PM

Smith, Mt. Tabor, Western Guilford, North Forsyth, Southwest Guilford and Parkland.... Beyond that...we'll see.

Yeah, I know. Master of the Obvious.

Who does Dudley play in non conference? 

Hate I missed you at the game, it will be a game we will both be at next year I'm sure. 

#20 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,071 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 02:46 AM

Then the votes need to be made public. I can't help but understand, through many post I've read, that the opposite is true. The schools (coaches) would not prefer split classifications. IMO, if it's not about money, all of the other sports would have split classifications as well.

The coaches voted in subdividing. 1A in 2001, the others in 2002. The 1A schools were led by a group of coaches from eastern NC.

Do not think I have seen anyone post about the playoffs are about money who is really involved. Doubt any of those people have ever been to a BoD meeting or a regional meeting and possibly not the football coaches meeting.

I have never had a coach tell me they would vote against subdivided playoffs although some may do so. Was told by a 1A coach that he thinks reducing the number in 1A would be something to look at but he likes subdivided playoffs and thinks there should be an additional one for non traditional schools. I have seen the football coaches meeting have in the agenda topics on the playoffs but never any reductions. Pod system, travel, number of refs, seeding have came up but not subdividing or reducing teams.

Two years ago a 1A coach told me they should have three divisions based on size for 1A due to the very smallest schools do not have a chance.

I have seen basketball title games with a larger crowd than some of the state football title games. Doubt there were 800 fans on the West Montgomery side Friday. Definitely not over 1,000.

The two main reasons the schools did not like the three classifications was difference in enrollment in the class and the non football sports adding titles or reducing one. Coaches from those sports have spoke out before about remaining as they are.

#21 CatholicCougs14

CatholicCougs14

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 6,237 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 10:59 AM

The whole Southern Carolina Conf will be good!  Catholic, Monroe, Weddington, Marvin Ridge, Sun Valley, Cuthbertson, Parkwood, and Piedmont.  They are all going to be battle tested come playoff time... that or they will all be beat up from beating on each other all year. lol

I don't think they'll be beat up as much as they will be battle tested. It will certainly be great for Catholic who hasn't been in a really tough conference since the Rocky River 2A days. Plus the gates will be very very nice lol

I'm excited! 

68 Playoff Wins

40+ Years of Excellence

Basketball:

#22 CatholicCougs14

CatholicCougs14

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 6,237 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 11:00 AM

Will the new Qb be able to throw? That's what made the offense so difficult to defend this year.

Not sure who the new QB will be to be honest. So cannot quite answer that, if he can throw then Catholic will be very dangerous I think. They have a few pretty tall receivers(cannot believe I just said receivers lol) coming up from JV including a freshman who is every bit of 6'2" or 6'3" so we'll see. 

68 Playoff Wins

40+ Years of Excellence

Basketball:

#23 RaiderDebater

RaiderDebater

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 218 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 12:55 PM

Not sure who the new QB will be to be honest. So cannot quite answer that, if he can throw then Catholic will be very dangerous I think. They have a few pretty tall receivers(cannot believe I just said receivers lol) coming up from JV including a freshman who is every bit of 6'2" or 6'3" so we'll see.

Hope they find one, because the ones behind #16 didn't look too good, but an offseason can make a world of a difference.

#24 Ladge

Ladge

Veteran Member

• Coach
  • 259 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 01:41 PM

Hope they find one, because the ones behind #16 didn't look too good, but an offseason can make a world of a difference.

You have Cure the backup last year, and then the little brothers of the last two starters Walton and Berger. Another outside  possibility is Robbie, who has been playing secondary, but ran the offense in middle school.

#25 CatholicCougs14

CatholicCougs14

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 6,237 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 05:45 PM

You have Cure the backup last year, and then the little brothers of the last two starters Walton and Berger. Another outside  possibility is Robbie, who has been playing secondary, but ran the offense in middle school.

Not sure Berger would replace his brother, if I had to pick I'd say Walton has a shot though

68 Playoff Wins

40+ Years of Excellence

Basketball:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 4A Football

JeffChapman-Dynamic