Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo
- - - - -

Blowouts

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Wrigley

Wrigley

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,806 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 08:33 PM

I am curious to hear from some guys who truly know. Why is it we see so many flat out collapses by good teams in the playoffs. Seems like every year we get maybe one or two competitive games. The rest are terrible games

#2 Steelers71

Steelers71

Established Member

• Coach
  • 734 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 08:37 PM

Watered down playoff system. I think it is time to go to 5 divisions and 5 total state champs. 

#3 Wrigley

Wrigley

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,806 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 08:41 PM

I hear ya but if you didnt subdivide presumably you would have Dudley- Wake and Dudley couldnt beat Page.

#4 NF_VIKINGSFB

NF_VIKINGSFB

• Coach
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 08:46 PM

The stupid geography based playoff system that the NCHSAA uses usually leads to unbalanced brackets.

You don't see this crap every year in states that use a merit based playoff system, like the ones Va, MD and SC use.

Knotts is up 21-7 now and he got blown out last year.  So that might not always be true

#5 NF_VIKINGSFB

NF_VIKINGSFB

• Coach
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 08:47 PM

I hear ya but if you didnt subdivide presumably you would have Dudley- Wake and Dudley couldnt beat Page.

And Davie beat Page!!! and Dudley score 50 on Davie.  You can't compare teams and different times of the season.

#6 HHS2003

HHS2003

Established Member

• Members
  • 659 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 08:51 PM

Sometimes teams lay an egg and sometimes its just a matchup problem. I mean blowouts happens at all levels of football from peewee to the NFL.

#7 Wrigley

Wrigley

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,806 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 08:59 PM

I get it but we almost never see even a competitive game.

#8 Steelers71

Steelers71

Established Member

• Coach
  • 734 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 09:29 PM

If we had 5 divisions would Dudley be 5A or 4A? Wasn't the WF/Page game big 4A? I don't know how you would break it down by Adm. numbers. Anyway, this final was another example of the need for some changes. Two years in a row with a running clock in the finals of the 4A or 4AA state championship. That's just sad.

#9 Buddy Amerson

Buddy Amerson

Varsity Team

• Admin Team
  • 127 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 08:53 AM

The blowouts can happen at any level and being deep into the playoffs isn't any different. You will occasionally see it in every state at every level including college and pro. I have been up close to several of these (on both sides of the outcome) and can offer my opinion. To make it to the semis or finals, there may be a fortunate break needed here or there but you have to be pretty darn good. A couple of things sometimes happen and we see the blowout. One team starts slow, gets a few bad breaks, the other team is hot and when you are at this level, the hot team is always good. Many times the team falling behind isn't accustomed to being in that situation and you will sometimes see them fail to respond and really get flat. Often you have teams that haven't been behind by two scores all season. Long story short, if you don't bring the A game and fail to respond to adversity, the opponent will get away from you and its becomes an ugly game. Just my opinion.

#10 RaiderDebater

RaiderDebater

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 265 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 09:07 AM

Here's an idea: eliminate one non-conference game, move that game to the end of the season as an ultimate classification champion. Have the A and AA winners of each classification square off to have an ultimate classification champion.

#11 PrinceOfDudley

PrinceOfDudley

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 09:12 AM

If we had 5 divisions would Dudley be 5A or 4A? Wasn't the WF/Page game big 4A? I don't know how you would break it down by Adm. numbers. Anyway, this final was another example of the need for some changes. Two years in a row with a running clock in the finals of the 4A or 4AA state championship. That's just sad.

We would still be 4a.

The Dudley Panthers

State Championships

Dboyz Football: 1951, 1966 (co-champs), 2007, 2008, 2013, 2016
Panthers Basketball: 1996, 2005, 2006

Pantherettes Basketball: 2009

#12 Steelers71

Steelers71

Established Member

• Coach
  • 734 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 09:54 AM

Dudley vs. WF would be a fun matchup to me. The front 7 from WF was huge and athletic. Dudley was nasty on D also. Would love to see a plus 1 game next week at a neutral site. How about they play at ECU? Wishful thinking but I don't think it would have been a blowout. And how many guys on Dudley are already committed to college? I know I heard them say one to NCSU, UNC, NCCU, and ECU. Anybody else?

#13 RaiderDebater

RaiderDebater

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 265 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 10:19 AM

Whoever #12 is for Dudley is a beast. Saw him in person at Catholic. Goodness.

#14 aggiern

aggiern

JV Team

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 10:40 AM

Whoever #12 is for Dudley is a beast. Saw him in person at Catholic. Goodness.

Nigel Peele, he is a monster built like an NFL line backer.

#15 Steelers71

Steelers71

Established Member

• Coach
  • 734 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 02:42 PM

Is he going anywhere? He was a beast last night.

#16 aggiern

aggiern

JV Team

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 08:55 PM

He has a offer from Winston Salem state

#17 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,511 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 03:06 AM

Here's an idea: eliminate one non-conference game, move that game to the end of the season as an ultimate classification champion. Have the A and AA winners of each classification square off to have an ultimate classification champion.

That does not fix the problem.

I am fine with ten regular season games and a six round playoff but drop the subdividing from game one.

I do not want Murphy to travel to the middle of the state (actually 1.5 hours east of the midpoint) and spend another night in a hotel.

#18 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,511 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 03:29 AM

Note that next year the new alignment will have 20% of the football playing schools in 1A and 4A. The remaining 60% will be split to 2A and 3A. I think 1A and 4A should not subdivide but in fairness 2A and 3A should as they will have right at 40 teams more than 1A and 4A.

#19 aggiern

aggiern

JV Team

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 11:46 AM

Is he going anywhere? He was a beast last night.

North Carolina-Central and North Carolina A&T verbally offered. Old Dominion, Western Carolina, Coastal Carolina, Eastern Michigan, Toledo, UCF, Georgia State, Murray State, Troy and Northern Illinois are showing interest.
Peele (6-1+, 226) racked up 183 tackles, 18 tackles for loss, 11.5 sacks, three forced fumbles and three fumble recoveries in 16 games.
He bench presses 410 pounds, runs a hand-timed 4.65-second 40-yard dash, holds a 2.9 GPA and scored 17 on the ACT.

#20 MHSblueDevilsARE#1

MHSblueDevilsARE#1

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 6,496 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 01:38 PM

I think Subdividing causes more of the blowouts than anything.. you're basically doubling the amount of teams in each class that make the playoffs- therefore watering down the playoffs. I think 4 classes works fine if you don't subdivide

#21 Harry Nostrant

Harry Nostrant

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 01:50 PM

The emotions in these games are so high, it's so easy to be emotionally spent after a team jumps on you, and there is no fight back.

I will say... NCSU was a disaster for games this saturday. Losers being outscored 111-6 at Carter-Finley this weekend is bad.

#22 Wrigley

Wrigley

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,806 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 02:11 PM

[quote name="Harry Nostrant" post="281578" timestamp="1482173411"]

The emotions in these games are so high, it's so easy to be emotionally spent after a team jumps on you, and there is no fight back.

I will say... NCSU was a disaster for games this saturday. Losers being outscored 111-6 at Carter-Finley this weekend

Just as bad last year.

#23 Harry Nostrant

Harry Nostrant

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 03:40 PM

Losers outscored 144-46 last year... yeah pretty bad... lol

but at least some points were score. no shutouts.

#24 Schmo

Schmo

• Members
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 09:54 AM

Nigel Peele, he is a monster built like an NFL line backer.

He is an absolute beast.  Unless there is some issue with grades he is Division 1. 

JeffChapman-Dynamic