Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo

Best Chance for a Repeat

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 04:46 PM

What school has the best chance to win back to back duel team championships?

#2 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 08:55 AM

I'll make a prediction from the four champs to start this off. I'm a homer of course but I'll go with Newton-Conover. Newton has won 3 of the last 4 state titles with a close loss in the semis against 2015 champ West Lincoln. Newton returns a bunch of starters from last year's championship with a couple kids that would have started at other schools as freshmen.

They have three holes to fill with the biggest being 170 and 182. 170 finished as the state runner up at the Greensboro imdividuals. That slot was a bunch of 6 point scoring pins. 182 was a high ranked kid. Newton is extremely solid at 113 to 160. Last years 152 has wrestled a couple weights so I'm not sure where he will end (160 or 170).

Last year marked the 12th consecutive time Newton-Conover made the final four in the duals championships with six title appearances, and three championships. Eddie Clark is certainly a top three wrestling coach in North Carolina. Eddie was a former All American high school wrestler and former state champion. Eddie wrestled at Avery County which was one of the biggest powers in the state for many years.

#3 FHS1985

FHS1985

Established Member

• Members
  • 959 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 07:39 PM

GDG-in your opinion how great is the disparity between western NC wrestling and eastern NC wrestling? It seems to me that the west is quite a bit stronger, is that accurate? And, if so, do you think the gap is closing or widening?

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.”

― C.S. Lewis

#4 FHS1985

FHS1985

Established Member

• Members
  • 959 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 07:46 PM

It's just kind of curious to me how regional it seems. A guy I know who lives in the Tri-city area in TN who officiates wrestling for the Tennessee high school association says it is not a very big deal there. But I know that in several NC mountain communities (i.e. Mitchell, Robbinsville) it is huge. What makes this part of NC a relative hotbed in your opinion (assuming my assessment is accurate).

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.”

― C.S. Lewis

#5 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 09:18 PM

GDG-in your opinion how great is the disparity between western NC wrestling and eastern NC wrestling? It seems to me that the west is quite a bit stronger, is that accurate? And, if so, do you think the gap is closing or widening?

If we are having this debate on the last decade I would say the west is stronger overall. I'm speaking of more teams with better wrestling. But there are teams in the east that have been dominate for decades. If you look at wrestling championships on the NCHSAA website there are teams like Cary, Orange, and Riverside who dominated the championships for many years. But they were so far above the eastern teams it was easy to predict the eastern champion every year.

You're correct Robbinsville and Mitchell have pretty much owned the landscape of 1A. But remember in wrestling they go to events with every classification for 1A-4A and kick butt against teams with ADMS of 2500 students. That's the beauty of one man against one man, then add scores for team wins. You can be a stud at a 1A or 2A school and dominate a wrestler in 4A. Yes they will always have the advantage when they have five times the kids to pick from.

2A has western powers in West Lincoln, Newton, Chase, etc. Fred T Foard, Enka, and North Henderson have been powers of late in the west 3A as that class was dominated by the east for thirty years. 4A- well they have maybe four teams state wide and the rest get embarrassed by lower classes at tournaments.

Croatan in 2A has set the bar for many years in 2A east. Jack Britt in 4A. Morehead in 3A. Rosewood is king in 1A as of late but that has had numerous programs with good teams. Personally I think one 30 mile radius in the east is leaps and bounds above most of the east. Onslow/Carteret counties. The military kids in 10-12 schools are very tough. Long winded answer but the gap for MORE quality teams is closing.

#6 Knights

Knights

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 02:35 AM

Good read.

#7 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 06:45 PM

Newton took a loss in their holiday tourney to a traditional 4A power Davie County. Last check they were 18-1. Beat pretty soundly by Davie but that is expected. I saw N-C wrestle twice but no power team.Newton attended the Tiger Christmas indidvidual tournament with only a couple kids placing.

Look for Chase High to be strong this year. A couple kids are top tier in any classification with Petticos being one of the best pound for pound wrestlers in the state. Kid has been a monster since freshman year at 113. Some of the Chase kids have attend d instructions in the mountains at Strong and Courageous located in the mountains. S and C is one of the best wrestling clubs in the state.

#8 BroadwayJ

BroadwayJ

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 338 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 07:11 AM

GDG you're spot on about the Onslow / Carteret County wrestling. Craven County has some good teams also. Havelock's been tough for years and New Bern, who's been down a bit lately is a still a tough out. Western teams seem to have better talent top to bottom and the eastern teams may be very athletic but aren't as technically strong.   

#9 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 06:33 PM

I'm going to have to revise my pick for a repeat. I think Newton-Conover has some internal issues with a number of kids. I was told a couple starters have quit and one has been removed. He was the top ranked wrestler on the team. Also I am aware of the third year athletes have made use of making their own money and passing counterfeit. Not sure if they are still on the team but are facing felony charges. Seems to be a trend at Newton for kids. Newton-Conover at 32-1 cannot repeat with holes in the starting lineup.

One ranked kid also didn't wish to be associated with the team and his parents are making stay thru the season. Think he has decided he is done after Feb. With two matches remaining they should win the conference still without all those kids. Sad situation as Newton-Conover was ranked first by multiple sites. I expect Chase to make a run in the west at this point.

#10 FHS1985

FHS1985

Established Member

• Members
  • 959 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 07:19 PM

I'm going to have to revise my pick for a repeat. I think Newton-Conover has some internal issues with a number of kids. I was told a couple starters have quit and one has been removed. He was the top ranked wrestler on the team. Also I am aware of the third year athletes have made use of making their own money and passing counterfeit. Not sure if they are still on the team but are facing felony charges. Seems to be a trend at Newton for kids. Newton-Conover at 42-1 cannot repeat with holes in the starting lineup.

One ranked kid also didn't wish to be associated with the team and his parents are making stay thru the season. Think he has decided he is done after Feb. With two matches remaining they should win the conference still without all those kids. Sad situation as Newton-Conover was ranked first by multiple sites. I expect Chase to make a run in the west at this point.

Sad to hear it. A couple of years ago I attended N-C's state title match and the school was behind the team. It was nice to attend a state title contest on campus for a change. Hopefully the program can turn it around.

― C.S. Lewis

#11 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 07:51 PM

Court dates for kids are in April. Not sure what the policy is. Definite conviction is removal. Charge only, may not be. Even so with h two gone already its looking grim. 4 would be no repeat as they are all starters and ranked in top 10 in the state. Dirty laundry but it's factual.

I remember you going to that championship match FHS. Newton won 2013, 2014, and 2016 with two at N-C and one at Croatan High in 2013.

*** Update 01/30/17- N-C has both kids still on team. The loss of the wrestler at 170 lbs will play into the deep playoffs. 

JeffChapman-Dynamic