Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo

Best playoff defense?

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 Paul Graham

Paul Graham

Correspondent

• Admin Team
  • 3,508 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 06:51 PM

South Point has the chance to be the best playoff defense in the modern era with a shut out of Rocky Mount this Saturday. If the Red Raiders shut out RM they will finish the playoff season with 4 shut outs and allowing only 6 points in 5 games (1.2ppg). The Gaston Gazette did a nice article on the team.

http://www.gastongaz...t-best-all-time

P.R. Graham

SMC

The standard in 1A since 1969

26 state titles in 35 apperances

22 consecutive finals appearances

SMC 1A/2A 32 state titles

#2 tb1978

tb1978

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 07:41 PM

South Point has the chance to be the best playoff defense in the modern era with a shut out of Rocky Mount this Saturday. If the Red Raiders shut out RM they will finish the playoff season with 4 shut outs and allowing only 6 points in 5 games (1.2ppg). The Gaston Gazette did a nice article on the team.

I looked earlier today and they've only given up 15 points in their last 8 games.  fantastic D

#3 Stick82

Stick82

Established Member

• Members
  • 566 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 07:53 PM

Usually not our forte but our d is playing like a bunch of madmen on the field!

#RaiderNation

#4 sasha_nc

sasha_nc

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 197 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 07:55 PM

They have probably jinxed us now, considering both of them picked Hibriten to win by 4 last week.  :(

#5 Cagle89

Cagle89

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 09:36 PM

They have probably jinxed us now, considering both of them picked Hibriten to win by 4 last week.  :(

right lol

#RaiderNation

#6 Reynoldsrocks23

Reynoldsrocks23

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 231 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 04:55 PM

Not sure what's considered Modern Era, but AC Reynolds gave up just 17 points in 5 games back in 1999 with 3 shutouts to win the state championship, including stopping Richmond Co. 44 game win streak.

#7 Cagle89

Cagle89

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 04:56 PM

Not sure what's considered Modern Era, but AC Reynolds gave up just 17 points in 5 games back in 1999 with 3 shutouts to win the state championship, including stopping Richmond Co. 44 game win streak.

impressive. 

#RaiderNation

#8 Reynoldsrocks23

Reynoldsrocks23

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 231 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 04:58 PM

ACR gave up just 77 points in 16 games with 9 shutouts!

#9 BigRed94

BigRed94

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 05:35 PM

I thought the SP defense on the 03 team was one of our better defenses (they did not get the credit since the offense was so prolific) but this one is just nasty, I don't think it's better then the defense I watched at Crest a few years ago but if somehow they could get another shutout I am more than willing to claim it as the best "playoff" defense of all time lol. I will be happy with a 55-54 score though as long as SP wins though.

#10 Paul Graham

Paul Graham

Correspondent

• Admin Team
  • 3,508 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 07:37 PM

If they shutout RM it will be the statistically the best playoff defense ever.

I saw the Reynolds team win three games in '99. They were nasty but you could throw on them, it just worked out that no one did. Best run defense I ever saw in high school.

P.R. Graham

SMC

The standard in 1A since 1969

26 state titles in 35 apperances

22 consecutive finals appearances

SMC 1A/2A 32 state titles

#11 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 07:48 PM

I thought the SP defense on the 03 team was one of our better defenses (they did not get the credit since the offense was so prolific) but this one is just nasty, I don't think it's better then the defense I watched at Crest a few years ago but if somehow they could get another shutout I am more than willing to claim it as the best "playoff" defense of all time lol. I will be happy with a 55-54 score though as long as SP wins though.

I only saw South Point once in 2003 and that was the championship game win. This year's defense is better than what I saw. More speed, more penetration, better assignment ball. 2003 the team had a bruising running game that helped the defense a lot. This group is physical and very intelligent. These kids don't get fooled at all.

#12 Cagle89

Cagle89

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 07:53 PM

I only saw South Point once in 2003 and that was the championship game win. This year's defense is better than what I saw. More speed, more penetration, better assignment ball. 2003 the team had a bruising running game that helped the defense a lot. This group is physical and very intelligent. These kids don't get fooled at all.

Yes it like roles are flipped. Defense is just helping the offense.

I could be wrong about this....
But I say RM scores at least 14.

#RaiderNation

#13 HHS2003

HHS2003

Established Member

• Members
  • 727 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 08:16 PM

RM will need to be able to throw the ball against SP IMO. Hibriten missed 2 wide open receivers but passing was not our forte. SP completely shut down our perimeter run game. Outside of a few QB scrambles and some FB runs out of 3 WR sets nothing worked.

I will more than likely go to Winston on Sat if the weather isn't terrible.

#14 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 08:21 PM

Field position after the defensive stops has made the offense better than it really is. Passing more has absolutely helped the running game. Much different than the first part of the season. Rocky Mount will have to play defense much differently this year.

#15 Cagle89

Cagle89

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 08:23 PM

RM will need to be able to throw the ball against SP IMO. Hibriten missed 2 wide open receivers but passing was not our forte. SP completely shut down our perimeter run game. Outside of a few QB scrambles and some FB runs out of 3 WR sets nothing worked.

I will more than likely go to Winston on Sat if the weather isn't terrible.

Yea, that's what they did last year. 

out routes and curls seemed like all night........ 

RM looks faster than Hibriten so we'll see what they are about.

Weather says 50  degrees and rainy.

#RaiderNation

#16 Cagle89

Cagle89

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 08:33 PM

Field position after the defensive stops has made the offense better than it really is. Passing more has absolutely helped the running game. Much different than the first part of the season. Rocky Mount will have to play defense much differently this year.

They are athletic and have no QUIT in them ( note the Havelock game).

We talk about speed a lot on these boards.... But I'll take the discipline, proficient tackling and hard hitting in the Red Raiders favor! 

#RaiderNation

#17 BigRed94

BigRed94

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 09:04 PM

I agree this one is better, I just like to throw some props to that defense once in a while haha. I still remember walking into Asheville stadium before the snow game and some of there guys telling me they had something for our offense, I told them I hope they had something for our defense haha.

#18 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 09:14 PM

Had this conversation with fans in the stands: I say Nick Muse is a better all around player than Tanner Muse. Fans say I'm crazy. Nick is bigger and tougher in my opinion. Tanner was blazing fast. Tanner made big hits in the secondary. Nick makes big hits in the backfield. Nick has great hands. I say Nick kicks Tanner's butt now.

#19 Cagle89

Cagle89

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 09:28 PM

Had this conversation with fans in the stands: I say Nick Muse is a better all around player than Tanner Muse. Fans say I'm crazy. Nick is bigger and tougher in my opinion. Tanner was blazing fast. Tanner made big hits in the secondary. Nick makes big hits in the backfield. Nick has great hands. I say Nick kicks Tanner's butt now.

I like em both and I am glad they both played at SP. 

I will say this if the play calling was different back when Tanner was on offense instead of always playing wb if they had him lined outside like  Nick does Tanner could have better numbers... maybe I am wrong. Defense wise Tanner was a game changer too. He had some nice tackles in the backfield. Concord against Rocky Ried he was hitting him a good bit coming off the edge ( just one of many games). I'll give the edge to Nick on his MOTOR and his WILL to be better than the play before. Both of them are studs for sure.... I am sure opposing teams are glad this is the last year of the MUSE!  

#RaiderNation

#20 BigRed94

BigRed94

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 09:42 PM

I like em both and I am glad they both played at SP.
I will say this if the play calling was different back when Tanner was on offense instead of always playing wb if they had him lined outside like Nick does Tanner could have better numbers... maybe I am wrong. Defense wise Tanner was a game changer too. He had some nice tackles in the backfield. Concord against Rocky Ried he was hitting him a good bit coming off the edge ( just one of many games). I'll give the edge to Nick on his MOTOR and his WILL to be better than the play before. Both of them are studs for sure.... I am sure opposing teams are glad this is the last year of the MUSE!

I can't disagree with any of that, both great players for sure.

#21 Cagle89

Cagle89

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 12:43 PM

I can't disagree with any of that, both great players for sure.

I hope Nick makes it big somewhere.

#RaiderNation

#22 BigRed94

BigRed94

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 08:49 PM

Well, we did not get the shutout even though we had a chance if not for the lapse at the end of the half but they did tie for the lowest point total ever since the playoffs went to 5 games. So now I will crown SP tied for the best playoff defense ever Haha (at least it's good enough to have the argument) ;)

#23 CHEERDUCK

CHEERDUCK

CP Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 4,402 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 08:59 AM

That team was fast and strong. I remember watching them play in the State Championship game.

It's not where you start, but where you finish!

#24 Rocket

Rocket

JV Team

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 09:32 AM

That 1999 Reynolds team was very stout.  The numbers back what they accomplished.  I would say that team ranked as one of the best.  

#25 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 18,535 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 10:39 AM

I saw that ACR defense in the first round when they defeated South Rowan 33-0. The defense was insanely good.

JeffChapman-Dynamic