Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo
- - - - -

2017 2A Baseball Preview (Every League; Every Team)

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 tarheelg61581

tarheelg61581

JV Team

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 11:21 AM

Link to Blog Post Here

Comment below if you know more information about any of these teams, as I'm sure many folks out know more than I do about certain teams, conferences, and regions

#2 Slashman

Slashman

Established Member

• Members
  • 487 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 03:45 AM

I'll do my best to give some info about the WPAC teams (not the biggest Baseball die hard around for high school.) JV Standings on Max Preps haven't been reported the best. But I know a few things I can share.

We (North Surry,) will be younger than the last couple of years but we have some good talent coming back. 2 All State kids coming back as seniors this year and they have earned scholarships to Winthrop and Liberty. Pitching wise I'm not entirely sure but I know we had some graduate and get scholarships. If we get that part going we should be alright. We have some solid athletes and we have a lot of 3 sport kids which is a major +. We have a great skipper in Tony Martin who's shaped the program up from a wasteland back when I went there and before that to a solid factor. Got several kids scholarships and has made the program better off. Hope he stays a while. As long as he's here we will always be scrappy.

Forbush is always very solid; well coached and fundamentally solid. They have been for ages and should stay that way. Soccer, and Baseball/Softball are their glory sports. They are tough in Football and Basketball but the first three sports bring the money and prestige in. 

Surry Central's always very scrappy and annoying to play. They play hard in every sport regardless of talent and make you earn it. They had a really talented for them senior class in Football this year and wouldn't be surprised some of them play Baseball.

West Stokes is going to be pretty young this year as they were with Football this year and Basketball as well. They had a big senior class in all three sports and they will more than likely be rebuilding. They also lost one of their younger players to South Stokes as he transfered out to play Football and be their QB.

South Stokes will be in their farewell tour in the WPAC as they are being sent down to 1A and the Northwest. They are a far deal from the Gary Nail/Dustin Ackley era where they were killer year in and out and had some hardware and titles and helped to carry the school's athletic program due to a lack of a solid Football or Basketball program. Now they are more middle of the road but there's talent there and they play very hard. They like to upset people; they did us last year. I know their coach as he was a teacher of mine back in middle school he's very disciplined and to the point. Plus getting the kid from West Stokes will boost them. Wouldn't be surprised if they make a run this year.

Then there's Carver; oh boy. You gotta feel for them; they try hard but they just can't field consistent teams. Besides Football and Basketball their other sports aren't as successful. They haven't won an on the field game since the 2013 opener in the previous alignment in their PAC days. And they haven't had a multi win season since 2012 when Melvin Palmer coached them. Seen them play last year they got killer speed but that's it. Their softball program is also in dire straights; they haven't won a game in 2 years. Last year they forfeited a ton of games and barely played 4. Hopefully they will improve this year they have the athletes there that's for sure.

As for how the conference will look in 2018:  South leaving's gonna hurt. We get Atkins and Walkertown in return. Walkertown had a solid year last year and made the 2nd round so they will be nice addition. Atkins however is in the same boat as Carver but they won 2 games (both wins over Smith,) in 2016. It's going to be a wash. More than likely it will be Forbush, North Surry, Walkertown, and maybe Central or West Stokes as the top teams. 

#3 tarheelg61581

tarheelg61581

JV Team

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 07:04 AM

Thanks for great details....so I take it the two all state seniors probably were there and on the varsity two years ago when the Hounds took Randleman to a deciding Game 3 in the regional finals?  When I saw the scores from that series, I just figured that NS just ran out of pitching in Game 3, probably took all they had to win Game 2, really seems like playing teams twice in the same week last year made it really tough to get a read on who the best teams in that league were, (behind Forbush and ahead of Carver that is), new wrinkle on that type of schedule this year is the pitch count limit, so if a guy goes the distance on Tuesday, or even goes just 5 innings, he's probably going to be unavailable on Friday

#4 88dodgers

88dodgers

Rookie

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 05:12 PM

Good analysis tarheelg6. You spent alot of time giving a run down for all 2a teams. Good job.To comment a little about the pac6, I agree that Randleman will be the team to beat based on having 3 proven starting pitchers. With pitch counts this year that is a plus. I think 2-5 is a toss up. This year will be interesting with the pitch count rule and strategy will play a big part. As we all know with high school kids that could change inning to inning.
Trinity's ace is a Lenoir-rhyne commit and I believe he can keep them in games each start. It's also the biggest SR class they've had in awhile.
Wheatmores ace is committed to uncp and could give them alot of wins. He almost beat Randleman last yr.
Providence Groves ace is a lefty and an 18 grad with D1 potential. He was hurt some last yr but should return for a strong jr yr.
Eastern Randolph has 2 proven starters but how will the 3 game weeks affect them.
I think the league top to bottom will be pretty good this year.
Have you heard if the playoffs are based solely on wins and losses or for instance will the PAC 6 get at least three teams in.

#5 thekidd12

thekidd12

JV Team

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 23 December 2016 - 02:44 PM

From what I understand playoffs are only guaranteed for the conference champion. The rest of the brackets will be filled with teams that have best overall winning percentages. In other words finish in conference standings will not be used. So a strong non conference schedule could hurt a lot of teams this year if they do not win a majority of those.

As for your breakdown of PAC6 I think you got most of the pitching down right.

Randleman does have 3 established starters and should be considered front runners but they will have to fill a couple of large holes in the batting order.

Trinity does have a really good junior who may make some noise on their staff to go along with hard throwing senior but they will have to find more offense than they put up last year.

Wheatmore will have to find someone besides their overworked ace this year. Yeas he can beat any team in conference but I thought was called on too often last year.

PG gets most of their pitching back,including lefty from injury. He told me he is close to 100%. PG could make some noise this year again if they can put up some more runs.

ER does return practically all their pitching from last year including those 2 seniors. Have a few arms that could help out in those 3 games in a week. They too will have to fill a couple of big holes at the top of the order.

I do think Randleman is the favorite but would not be surprised if there were 4 teams within a game of each other at the end of the year.

Is it spring yet? 

#6 tarheelg61581

tarheelg61581

JV Team

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 11:07 AM

Yes, the playoff system will not change a whole lot on who gets into the playoffs....had this year's system been in place last year, 63 out of 64 of the same teams would have been in the playoffs....as those wild card spots will still get filled....the big difference is seeding....last year you could be 16-4 overall but third in your conference and be seeded way down around 16 or 17, or you could be 7-12, but second in your conference and get seeded around 14 or 15 or higher, get to host that 16-4 team that will beat the brakes off of you....Remember the old way was Tier 1:  all the conference champions, Tier 2: all the conference 2nd place teams (or conference tournament champions if a team from below 2nd place), Tier 3:  all of the conference third place teams (and conference second place teams if somebody from below the top 2 won conference tournament), Tier 4:  wild cards berths to finish filling up the bracket based on overall record winning percentage, then conference winning percentage to break tie.....the new way is:  Tier 1:  conference champions, Tier 2:  conference tournament champions who were not the conference regular season champion, Tier 3:  wild card berths to fill up the bracket....Note, in 2A volleyball this year, Tier 2 was non-existent if I remember correctly, as every conference regular season outright champion also won the conference tournament, and of course if the two teams split in the regular season at the top, then the winner of either a one game playoff or the conference tournament winner would go to the 1 tier....the only hangup for a bracketologist like me would be if maybe the top 2 teams in a league who split in the regular season both got upset in the same round early in a conference tournament, then whichever upsetting team that goes on to win tournament would go to Tier 2, and I can't remember if it's a random draw or maxpreps ranking or something else to see which of the original top two goes to Tier 1 for state playoffs

Last year in 2A, the two state finalists were a 15 (South Granville) and 23 seed (East Rutherford)....SG finished third (10-3 in conf) in a very top-heavy conference, splitting with Roanoke Rapids, who finished 2nd (12-2), who also split with Bunn (12-1), who swept SG...SG, whose only 3 losses all came in conference slid to 15 in seeding, and easily could have been lower had the East/West split gone differently, as both Randleman & Reidsville went to West in Tier 1....East Rutherford finished 4th overall in a tough 2A/3A split conference, and even though they were 2nd in the 2A division, they went into the Wild Card Tier (as you had to actually finish 2nd overall to get into Tier 2), thus dropping to 23 seed even with their 16-6 overall reporting record....in this year's system, teams in that situation would be seeded much, much higher, above any teams that are not conference champions or conference tournament winners, SG & ER combined to go 9-0 in true road games in last year's postseason

#7 BlueDevilsBiggestFan

BlueDevilsBiggestFan

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 05:59 PM

What about Salisbury will they be any good this season?

#WeAreMooresville

~~BlueDevilsBiggestFan~~

#8 tarheelg61581

tarheelg61581

JV Team

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 09:47 PM

They could be, but it will be with mostly new guys have to make plays in the big spots, they lost some key guys, see blog post link above

#9 BlueDevilsBiggestFan

BlueDevilsBiggestFan

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 10:05 PM

They could be, but it will be with mostly new guys have to make plays in the big spots, they lost some key guys, see blog post link above

Did Salisbury get a new HC?

#WeAreMooresville

~~BlueDevilsBiggestFan~~

#10 tarheelg61581

tarheelg61581

JV Team

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 03:39 PM

no idea, my blog was done by only taking into account the players returning (or not) from last year

#11 88dodgers

88dodgers

Rookie

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 05:08 PM

Based on maxpreps and without seeing what will be moved up from JV. I believe Salisbury will score runs. The question is pitching?

JeffChapman-Dynamic