Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo
- - - - -

Edenton Holmes vs Reidsville 2A Championship

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#26 Heritage 84

Heritage 84

Established Member

• Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 01:33 PM

Congrats Reidsville! Looks like 3 0r 4 teams from the West Could have made a run on state if we could have dodged he Rams this year. Very good football team for sure.

#27 TGT

TGT

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 02:34 PM

Maybe the Edenton long snapper just had a bad day.  

Sometimes I hit every drive down the middle, other days I slice it in the bushes.

#28 FBCapitalOfNC

FBCapitalOfNC

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 04:30 PM

You're right. Happens all the time. I've started to pay closer attention to the position. Some days it's bad day. A lot of times, you have a kid that doesn't have a lot of coaching up either. We're very fortunate to have Coach Marrs

#29 Reeducator

Reeducator

Freshman Team

• Coach
  • 20 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 05:20 PM

I was at the game and the snaps were bad from the start. But the option pitches were at times worse than the long snaps. The QB's pitching technique was more of a basketball chest pass than an option pitch. When it worked, it worked well, allowing the pitch man to stretch the play ino clear space. But when it didnt, it was like he was just throwing it anywhere and there were several put on the ground.  Those little things like option pitches and longsnaps can make the difference. 

#30 TheMule

TheMule

JV Team

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 05:24 PM

I was at the game and the snaps were bad from the start. But the option pitches were at times worse than the long snaps. The QB's pitching technique was more of a basketball chest pass than an option pitch. When it worked, it worked well, allowing the pitch man to stretch the play ino clear space. But when it didnt, it was like he was just throwing it anywhere and there were several put on the ground.  Those little things like option pitches and longsnaps can make the difference. 

Most of the time the QB was having to pitch it over the

Most of the time the QB was having to pitch it over the head of 6' 3" Brandon Lee who was making life miserable for him.

#31 Reeducator

Reeducator

Freshman Team

• Coach
  • 20 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 05:35 PM

Totally agree, Reidsville's front 4 was so much better than the Aces offensive line. I could see where Edenton would give teams fit because they are very good at their triple O, but were out matched in the trenches from start to finish. 

#32 '98 State Champion

'98 State Champion

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 09:20 AM

98 most teams think any ole lineman can long-snap. Cost Edenton 21 pts. Least appreciated most overlooked position on the field...until something goes wrong

Completely agree....my dad long snapped at Notre Dame and my cousin is currently the long snapper at App State.  I tried to walk-on at Tennessee back in 99 and long snap but got the cut.  Didn't just cost Edenton 21 points but also the momentum of the game at critical times.  Dad and I were sitting there in awe like are we really watching this?

#33 '98 State Champion

'98 State Champion

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 09:24 AM

Maybe the Edenton long snapper just had a bad day.  

Sometimes I hit every drive down the middle, other days I slice it in the bushes.

Negative...you don't have a bad day like that...he clearly just couldn't do it.  I can understand one bad snap...but that was crazy.

#34 Shelby Lion

Shelby Lion

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 09:38 AM

Long snapping is something I don't think I have ever seen us lacking in at Shelby.... EVER.... It just seems like every year we have someone that does it very well...That goes for place kicking as well. Then when we meet other teams (Well heck most teams) its like watching a car wreck... High balloon snaps to the punter that looks like a pitch off the green.... Slow slow slow... Just one particular game comes to mind recently about place kickers... Southern Vance title game in 2006...They had no one, NO ONE on an entire team that could kick an extra point.... I found that hard to believe but glad they didn't in the end.. they had to go for two and we stopped them every time....Had they had a kicker perhaps an overtime game... Then again Daryl Montgomery doesn't get sandwiched and knocked out of the first half of the game, we may score 50..ha ha...

#35 TGT

TGT

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 10:26 AM

Negative...you don't have a bad day like that...he clearly just couldn't do it.  I can understand one bad snap...but that was crazy.

Only an Edenton fan could say if this has been a season-long problem.  

Maybe Aces' center was intimidated by the big nasties he was lined up against.  Those Reidsville defensive linemen - big and quick - dominated the trenches.  

#36 '98 State Champion

'98 State Champion

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 10:45 AM

Only an Edenton fan could say if this has been a season-long problem.  

Maybe Aces' center was intimidated by the big nasties he was lined up against.  Those Reidsville defensive linemen - big and quick - dominated the trenches.  

Can't hit the center on a long snap at the high school level.  Nothing to be intimidated by.  I could understand this in middle school but at a high school state championship game it's unacceptable.  

#37 Mr. Frank

Mr. Frank

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 12:17 PM

Long snapping is an art that takes a little patience at first. Once you get hand placement, stance, and throw down pat, it becomes easy.

Evidently in some cases, easier said than done.

#38 TheMule

TheMule

JV Team

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 05:44 PM

Long snapping is an art that takes a little patience at first. Once you get hand placement, stance, and throw down pat, it becomes easy.

Evidently in some cases, easier said than done.

Maybe the Russians got to him?

#39 Bigpoppy

Bigpoppy

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 06:00 PM

He just had a bad, bad day at the worst possible time. He was long snapper and center all year long and we never had the sort of problems you saw in the championship game. Although the bad snaps on the punts led to points I thought the bad snap on the first offensive drive of the second half was a back breaker. Congrats to Reidsville. If it is possible you guys were better than advertised.

#40 TheMule

TheMule

JV Team

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 08:21 PM

He just had a bad, bad day at the worst possible time. He was long snapper and center all year long and we never had the sort of problems you saw in the championship game. Although the bad snaps on the punts led to points I thought the bad snap on the first offensive drive of the second half was a back breaker. Congrats to Reidsville. If it is possible you guys were better than advertised.

Probably the best team in the history of Reidsville football.  2009 was great but did not have the special teams play this 2016 Rams team had all year long.  QB Tanner Wilson is graduating early and will enroll at App State in January.

#41 CHEERDUCK

CHEERDUCK

CP Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 4,335 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 08:42 PM

Probably the best team in the history of Reidsville football.  2009 was great but did not have the special teams play this 2016 Rams team had all year long.  QB Tanner Wilson is graduating early and will enroll at App State in January.

A great defensive team that the rest of the team fed off of. The speed at most of the defensive positions were just too much for most high school teams to account for.

It's not where you start, but where you finish!

#42 kms51

kms51

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 431 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 10:30 PM

They are in the conversation now. 

#43 RaiderDebater

RaiderDebater

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 218 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 01:01 PM

98 most teams think any ole lineman can long-snap. Cost Edenton 21 pts. Least appreciated most overlooked position on the field...until something goes wrong

m

Luke Hoggard was one hell on a long snapper at Richmond. Don't know if he did this at Holmes?

#44 Bigpoppy

Bigpoppy

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 09:56 PM

Luke Hoggard is one of the best long snappers around but couldn't risk putting him in the position of getting hurt. I don't remember him snapping at all this year for the Aces

#45 TheMule

TheMule

JV Team

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 08:21 AM

m

Luke Hoggard was one hell on a long snapper at Richmond. Don't know if he did this at Holmes?

The poor snaps probably didn't "cost" Edenton anything.  Just delayed the Rams from scoring for a few more plays. B)

#46 dhag2

dhag2

Rookie

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 09:39 PM

No disrespect, but the game could have gone on for hours or played whenever and Reidsville would have still won. Holmes running game shut down because they could not block ram d line. Period. End of story. On to 2017

JeffChapman-Dynamic