• Please log in to reply
273 replies to this topic

#51 Magnum

Magnum

JV Team

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 02:51 PM

I do wish Murphy would stop playing Carolina and North Georgia and play more teams from WNC.

It will never happen. They do the same thing every year. Pisgah is as close as you will see unless it's sometime like Enka or Mcdowell.

#52 Magnum

Magnum

JV Team

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 02:58 PM

Who exactly is Magnum's team?? Some one that sits down in the Piedmont and talks mountain football has a hard time judging what is good and what is not.
Playoff teams in the regular seson.
Hendo 3rd round
Franklin 2nd round
Cherokee 3rd round
Hayesville 2nd round
Swain 3rd round
Murphy is not a 4A team but is a very good 1A team that contends every year for a trip to the finals. tell us who you pull for and what your definition of a good team is.

Cherokee and Hayesville should NEVER have been anywhere near the playoffs so that's out. Swain was WAY down this season. Franklin was bad too. Hendersonville had one good win vs heritage, that's all. There is nothing impressive about the teams you mentioned. Can you honestly answer one question for me? Do you think the small 1A playoffs was good this year? As for my knowledge of wnc football I can promise your I know more than anyone on here. Test me if you want.

#53 ODB

ODB

JV Team

• Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 03:07 PM

The Internet: since 1990, making trolls appear much bigger than they are in real life.

#54 NC nole fan

NC nole fan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 278 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 04:17 PM

It will never happen. They do the same thing every year. Pisgah is as close as you will see unless it's sometime like Enka or Mcdowell.

Never?? Murphy beat Asheville twice at WCU in 2001 (26-14) and 2002 (42-41 in three OTs). That 2002 Asheville team went to the fourth round of the 3aa playoffs. I can give you a looooong list of larger schools Murphy has played over the years if you want. But then again, such a self proclaimed, brilliant WNC football historian and football genius such as yourself shouldn't need a list presented to him. Here's what I think of your football knowledge...I hook up with Kate Upton on the reg too! See, just because I said it on a message board doesn't make it true.

#55 Alex Rains

Alex Rains

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 04:59 PM

Never?? Murphy beat Asheville twice at WCU in 2001 (26-14) and 2002 (42-41 in three OTs). That 2002 Asheville team went to the fourth round of the 3aa playoffs. I can give you a looooong list of larger schools Murphy has played over the years if you want. But then again, such a self proclaimed, brilliant WNC football historian and football genius such as yourself shouldn't need a list presented to him. Here's what I think of your football knowledge...I hook up with Kate Upton on the reg too! See, just because I said it on a message board doesn't make it true.

I've seen the pictures Nole! We all know you and Kate are like peas and carrots! As for Tom Selick, 1-A consist of Small, sometimes tiny teams in NC. Most of the time we have to play whoever we can. Think NCAA basketball. Large schools for the most part will not schedule little schools because there isn't anything in it for them. They win, they were suppose to, lose and you could lose your teams confidence. Now with Maxpreps rating system being part of the seeding process, it will only get worse for the smaller teams. Plymouth could never get teams like Northeastern or Washington to play them until they went on this run of success. I'm sure Murphy has some of the same problems scheduling. My hat's off to Pisgah for agreeing to the series. You get what games you can, do the best you can with that schedule, then run through the playoffs with whoever's in front of you. Nature of the beast, but Mr. Historian, you knew this already!

#56 NC nole fan

NC nole fan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 278 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 05:12 PM

I've seen the pictures Nole! We all know you and Kate are like peas and carrots! As for Tom Selick, 1-A consist of Small, sometimes tiny teams in NC. Most of the time we have to play whoever we can. Think NCAA basketball. Large schools for the most part will not schedule little schools because there isn't anything in it for them. They win, they were suppose to, lose and you could lose your teams confidence. Now with Maxpreps rating system being part of the seeding process, it will only get worse for the smaller teams. Plymouth could never get teams like Northeastern or Washington to play them until they went on this run of success. I'm sure Murphy has some of the same problems scheduling. My hat's off to Pisgah for agreeing to the series. You get what games you can, do the best you can with that schedule, then run through the playoffs with whoever's in front of you. Nature of the beast, but Mr. Historian, you knew this already!

Shhh...not too many people know about those lol! As for the rest of your post, EXACTLY! Best of luck to your Vikings tomorrow.

#57 Knights

Knights

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,322 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 06:01 PM

Everybody should block him. End of Magnum!!!

#58 Knights

Knights

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,322 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 06:02 PM

Who plays tonight?

#59 rocketman

rocketman

Established Member

• Members
  • 797 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 06:29 PM

Will the Murphy game be on time warner free like last seaso, or on the local Murphy radio station?

#60 SMC Observer

SMC Observer

CP Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 3,116 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 06:39 PM

Will the Murphy game be on time warner free like last seaso, or on the local Murphy radio station?

I don't know about Time Warner but I know 102.7 FM WCNG Murphy and 105.5 FM/1320 AM WKRK Murphy will both be there.

WKRK's website is here: http://www.1320am.com/

#61 Paul Graham

Paul Graham

Correspondent

• Admin Team
  • 3,138 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 06:53 PM

Was 1A good this year?

You damn right it was good. It was excellent as a matter of fact. I'll take a small 1A game every Friday night and twice on Sunday. It's pure football that is still tied with chains to the communities that they play for. They are still tied to the student bodies and the alumni for all the right reasons.Yes their are many superb athletes in 3A and 4A and they play a different brand of football as a result, but it does not, for me, compare to 1A. 1A is what 1A is. Small Rural schools with a small selection of available athletes to chose from. Small bands and small cheer squads. Passionate fans and communities. Less money, smaller budget and travel limitations and equipment concerns. But also some of the best stadiums and atmospheres in the state.

Both these teams beat quality programs this year and do so every year. If you really think they should play the 3A and 4A teams in the area then get on the phone. Asheville lost twice to Murphy, and to even schedule Enka or McDowell would be a step backwards for either Murphy or Plymouth. When you develop a program like these two, or Swain or North Edgecombe or Manteo, larger classification teams don't want the lose-lose risk of playing these teams. If Erwin loses to Murphy it kills them in the polls and if they win they don't really gain anything. Rarely will the gate be good enough for the larger team and they feel it doesn't help them prepare for the conference.  

You can say Murphy is bad all you want. You can say Plymouth is bad all you want. But at 11:05 the last two teams standing in 1A will kickoff what will be a great game. They will be playing for Another state title just like the last SIX years.  

The Smoky Mountain Conference is continuing what has become the Gold standard in 1A and Plymouth is continuing a program that has become the cream of the crop in Eastern 1A. 

I answered your question, now answer mine.

P.R. Graham

SMC

The standard in 1A since 1969

26 state titles in 35 apperances

22 consecutive finals appearances

SMC 1A/2A 32 state titles

#62 rocketman

rocketman

Established Member

• Members
  • 797 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 06:59 PM

I don't know about Time Warner but I know 102.7 FM WCNG Murphy and 105.5 FM/1320 AM WKRK Murphy will both be there.

WKRK's website is here: http://www.1320am.com/

Thanks, good luck hope you win state go dogs !

#63 NC nole fan

NC nole fan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 278 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 07:07 PM

Who plays tonight?

Wallace and West Montgomery if I'm not mistaken.

#64 GoodKNIGHT

GoodKNIGHT

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 08:04 PM

You guys just ignore little Mag,then this nonsense will stop..let him talk to himself..DO NOT respond to him..He's a nut

#65 Magnum

Magnum

JV Team

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 08:12 PM

Congratulations, you played Asheville 15 years ago and nobody since. You're not fooling me. I know more about Murphy than their own fans..Every team can get lucky a few times. Play Asheville, ACR, or any other good team from wnc on a consistent basis and we'll talk

#66 Magnum

Magnum

JV Team

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 08:20 PM

Was 1A good this year?

You damn right it was good. It was excellent as a matter of fact. I'll take a small 1A game every Friday night and twice on Sunday. It's pure football that is still tied with chains to the communities that they play for. They are still tied to the student bodies and the alumni for all the right reasons.Yes their are many superb athletes in 3A and 4A and they play a different brand of football as a result, but it does not, for me, compare to 1A. 1A is what 1A is. Small Rural schools with a small selection of available athletes to chose from. Small bands and small cheer squads. Passionate fans and communities. Less money, smaller budget and travel limitations and equipment concerns. But also some of the best stadiums and atmospheres in the state.

Both these teams beat quality programs this year and do so every year. If you really think they should play the 3A and 4A teams in the area then get on the phone. Asheville lost twice to Murphy, and to even schedule Enka or McDowell would be a step backwards for either Murphy or Plymouth. When you develop a program like these two, or Swain or North Edgecombe or Manteo, larger classification teams don't want the lose-lose risk of playing these teams. If Erwin loses to Murphy it kills them in the polls and if they win they don't really gain anything. Rarely will the gate be good enough for the larger team and they feel it doesn't help them prepare for the conference.

You can say Murphy is bad all you want. You can say Plymouth is bad all you want. But at 11:05 the last two teams standing in 1A will kickoff what will be a great game. They will be playing for Another state title just like the last SIX years.
The Smoky Mountain Conference is continuing what has become the Gold standard in 1A and Plymouth is continuing a program that has become the cream of the crop in Eastern 1A.

I answered your question, now answer mine.

Have you ever seen a game east of Jackson county? Honest question

#67 Mitchell county mountie

Mitchell county mountie

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,367 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 09:17 PM

Pretty sure Paul coached down east for a while...

#68 Alex Rains

Alex Rains

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 09:24 PM

If I'm not mistaken, he was at Mattamskeet for some time. Doeen't get much smaller or eastern than that!

#69 Speedster92

Speedster92

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 09:32 PM

The only decent teams they played was Hendersonville and maybe Mitchell. They got spanked by Franklin team that got waxed by Erwin and Brevard among others. How do you consider that a good schedule?

#70 Speedster92

Speedster92

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 09:33 PM

Lol. What a idiot,. Says he knows football, but goes to say Franklin beat Murphy,. So n so beat Franklin,. Boy I say boy you don't know football,.

#71 Speedster92

Speedster92

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 09:35 PM

I do wish Murphy would stop playing Carolina and North Georgia and play more teams from WNC.

#72 Speedster92

Speedster92

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 09:36 PM

There not on schedule no more,. I know they open up next year with pisgah

#73 Speedster92

Speedster92

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 09:50 PM

You guys just ignore little Mag,then this nonsense will stop..let him talk to himself..DO NOT respond to him..He's a nut

#74 Paul Graham

Paul Graham

Correspondent

• Admin Team
  • 3,138 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 09:51 PM

really? quite a few actually. 

P.R. Graham

SMC

The standard in 1A since 1969

26 state titles in 35 apperances

22 consecutive finals appearances

SMC 1A/2A 32 state titles

#75 Speedster92

Speedster92

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 09:51 PM

Magnums team want play a smc team in non conference play, cause his mama said. Said said there the devil

JeffChapman-Dynamic