Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo

Plymouth vs Murphy 1A Championship

• Please log in to reply
273 replies to this topic

#26 MHS88

MHS88

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 12:24 PM

Plymouth may surprise some people who are out of the loop. Rest assured, nobody from Murphy will be surprised or shocked.

#27 Superkase

Superkase

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 268 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 02:32 PM

If anything after MIC and Mitchell we are battle tested coming in.I look forward to playing you guys again. The games have been close and entertaining. I love your band as well. They are always dancing even when our band is playing. It's just something you don't see around home. Safe travels to everyone and goodluck.

I watched the Plymouth vs. Murphy championship in Raleigh, and I remember the energy that band carried with them the whole game.  They were fun to watch.  

#28 SMCdogfan

SMCdogfan

Established Member

• Members
  • 641 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 04:22 PM

I watched the Plymouth vs. Murphy championship in Raleigh, and I remember the energy that band carried with them the whole game. They were fun to watch.

Sure we're I am looking forward to Saturday.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#29 Paul Graham

Paul Graham

Correspondent

• Admin Team
  • 3,148 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 08:48 PM

The rubber match between Murphy and defending 1A champion Plymouth should be a dandy.  Plymouth beat Murphy 20-15 in 2012 and lost 35-34 to the Bulldogs in 2013. The Vikings have played a SMC team the last five years in the finals. Plymouth and head coach Robert Cody is looking for its fourth championship in seven appearances since 2007. Murphy is back in the finals for the first time since 2013 and is looking to win championship number 8 in their 14th trip. Murphy head coach David Gentry can win his 7th title on Saturday.  Murphy has also won two 2A state titles.

Murphy @ Plymouth: Murphy 31-24

PLYMOUTH (12-3, 7-0) The Vikings enter the game with a 12-3 record and on a 12 game winning streak. Plymouth lost the first three games of the season to Northeastern, Riverside and Holmes.  Plymouth allowed 41 points per game during that stretch and had many in the state wondering if this was the year the team would not represent eastern NC in the finals. However, Plymouth rebounded to average 39.16 points per game while allowing only 9.2 points on defense.

Plymouth prefers to keep the ball on the ground. They average 271.6 yards per game and only throw for 41.8. That’s 629 yards passing and 4074 yards rushing.  Plymouth has thrown for 11 TD’s and rushed for 54. Plymouth has six back with more than 374 rushing this season with Ronald Wilkins leading the way with 1124 yards and 14 TD’s. Aaron Wilkins added 836 yards and 8 scores. Plymouth kills you with a 9.6 yard per rush average and that wears down teams. Ta’Quaun White leads the receivers with 16 catches for 370 yards and 7 scores. So when they do throw it usually is a big play.

Defensively, the Vikings don’t rely on a single player, but look to four with more than 125 tackles and seven more with more than 57 tackles. Ja’veion Spruill leads the defense with 161, while Wayne Johnson (152), Kwamandre Rhines (131), and Diedre Whitehead (125) round out the big hitter for the Vikings.  Johnson and Whitehead each have 6 sacks while Victor Bryant has 3 interceptions.

Jose Castanda is a fairly accurate kicker hitting 55 of 61 PAT attempts but hit only 1 of 5 field goal tries. Murphy should avoid kicking to Josh Downing as he returned 2 kicks for scores.

MURPHY (14-1, 6-0) Murphy counters with a stout offense and ever better defense. Murphy lost in week two to Franklin 42-7 and then reeled off 13 straight wins. The Bulldogs averaged 42.8 per game while giving up only 8.3 points. The Bulldogs average 247 yards per game rushing and throw for 116.5 per game.  The SMC champs have scored 66 rushing TDs and threw for 17. Coach Gentry is going for 1A State Championship number seven in school history and a win would certainly salve the burn of not getting to lead the NC squad against the Sandlappers in the Shrine Bowl of the Carolinas this weekend.

Murphy’s passing attack has very effective in keeping teams off balance and allow the stable of talented backs to run. The most impressive stat in the passing game for Murphy is that they have not thrown a single interception in 176 attempts this season. Joey Curry has racked up 1684 yards on 102 completions and 16 TD’s.  Colton Posey is Curry’s favorite target with 44 catches for 673 yards and 7 TD’s. Travis Seabolt, Hagen Newton and Tanner Creelman each have more than 100 yards receiving.

When the Bulldogs run the ball they do it behind 1001 yard rusher Kadrian McRae. McRae has 14, while KJ Allen has 13 and Curry has 10 touchdowns. Slade McTaggert, Tanner Creelman and Allen all have more than 497 yards rushing as well. The Bulldogs ground attack has accounted for 66 touchdowns and has keep some of the better defenses in WNC guessing all season.

The special teams are led by Joey Helton who has hit 69 of 76 PATs this season and both of his field goals. Posey and Creelman are the leading kick returners for the Bulldogs.

Defensivly the ‘Dogs are led by Adam Powell who has racked up 122 tackles. Slade McTaggert has 100 tackles while Chase Farmer (83), Cody Cantrell (84) and Cory Farmer (89) are huge impact players for the Bulldogs. Powell leads the team with 10 sacks, while McTaggert and Cantrell each have 6. Creelman and Colby Hensley cover opposing receivers well recording 5 and 4 interceptions. Murphy has been hard teams this season as they tallied 46 total takeaways.  

P.R. Graham

SMC

The standard in 1A since 1969

26 state titles in 35 apperances

22 consecutive finals appearances

SMC 1A/2A 32 state titles

#30 Mountaineer4Life

Mountaineer4Life

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 08:21 AM

Murphy rolls

#31 footballfan252

footballfan252

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 11:19 AM

It's funny...out of 5 state championships, Plymouth has been the underdog every year going in but some way they won 3 out of 5. This year number 6, they are the underdogs again, don't be surprise if they pull another upset this year

#32 dogs79

dogs79

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 225 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 08:55 PM

35-21Murphy

#33 Paul Graham

Paul Graham

Correspondent

• Admin Team
  • 3,148 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 09:45 PM

It's funny...out of 5 state championships, Plymouth has been the underdog every year going in but some way they won 3 out of 5. This year number 6, they are the underdogs again, don't be surprise if they pull another upset this year

Wold not be one bit surprised. Cody does an excellent job with Plymouth.

P.R. Graham

SMC

#34 Alex Rains

Alex Rains

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 11:11 PM

I'll go with Plymouth 17-14 in OT!

#35 SMC Observer

SMC Observer

CP Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 3,118 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 12:31 AM

Murphy 21 - Plymouth 14

#36 BDWarrior

BDWarrior

Established Member

• Members
  • 823 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 10:43 AM

murphy by 6

#37 NC nole fan

NC nole fan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 278 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 10:53 AM

Murphy by.....

Don't know. Doesn't matter. But Murphy gets it done! I think this may be the first time Murphy comes into a game against Plymouth the "better" team on paper.

#38 Cold Biscuit

Cold Biscuit

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 11:51 AM

Murphy 35-14. I agree, score really doesn't matter long as you get the W.

#39 Magnum

Magnum

JV Team

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 11:52 AM

This had to be the worst playoffs in nc history. You have Murphy who has literally not played a good team all season vs a 3 loss team for a state title. That's bad. With that said Murphy wins a easy one by 21. I know football and have been right every time I post on here.

#40 NC nole fan

NC nole fan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 278 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 12:09 PM

This had to be the worst playoffs in nc history. You have Murphy who has literally not played a good team all season vs a 3 loss team for a state title. That's bad. With that said Murphy wins a easy one by 21. I know football and have been right every time I post on here.

What does a team have to do to be considered "good" according to you? Does Murphy have to play and beat Mallard Creek to get any credit? How about Buford, GA? Geez, why stop there? How about St. Thomas Aquinas or De La Salle? Any other national powers you'd like to throw in?

I think Murphy has played a dang good schedule considering they are a 1a football team.

#41 Magnum

Magnum

JV Team

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 12:12 PM

What does a team have to do to be considered "good" according to you? Does Murphy have to play and beat Mallard Creek to get any credit? How about Buford, GA? Geez, why stop there? How about St. Thomas Aquinas or De La Salle? Any other national powers you'd like to throw in?

I think Murphy has played a dang good schedule considering they are a 1a football team.

The only decent teams they played was Hendersonville and maybe Mitchell. They got spanked by Franklin team that got waxed by Erwin and Brevard among others. How do you consider that a good schedule?

#42 Alex Rains

Alex Rains

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 12:13 PM

The mustache has spoken. Just for the record, Murphy has played an SMC schedule, plenty of good teams there along with MICS who has some special players, and Mitchell who was one year removed from an appearance in the 1-AA Championship game. Plymouth on the other hand has 3 losses, one of which is against Edenton who is in the 2-A Championship game and another to Northeastern who lost to Edenton in the Eastern semifinal, and probably would have been in the 2-A final if not for the Aces.

You might know football, but 1-A High School Football, not so much.

#43 NC nole fan

NC nole fan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 278 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 12:30 PM

The only decent teams they played was Hendersonville and maybe Mitchell. They got spanked by Franklin team that got waxed by Erwin and Brevard among others. How do you consider that a good schedule?

You just lost all credibility when you didn't include MICS in the "decent" category. Did you see that final score between Murphy and MICS? Franklin played Murphy early before all the pieces were in place. I'd put my money on Murphy if they played again right now. Murphy played 4a Gilmer County, GA on the road and won 27-6. Gilmer had a bad season, but any win by a 1a team over a 4a team is impressive. Swain is always tough no matter the record and Murphy dominated the Maroon Devils. Murphy also spanked Robbinsville 49-7 on the road. That was Robbinsville's first loss against an SMC team in three years. Robbinsville was coming off two state title appearances (1-1) in a row coming into this season. Cherokee was no slouch this year either. I stand by what I said. For a 1a team, Murphy played a pretty good schedule.

#44 Magnum

Magnum

JV Team

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 01:11 PM

Anybody worth a damn would be a good start.

#45 MHS88

MHS88

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 01:22 PM

Merry Christmas Magnum and GO DOGS!

#46 Magnum

Magnum

JV Team

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 01:23 PM

You just lost all credibility when you didn't include MICS in the "decent" category. Did you see that final score between Murphy and MICS? Franklin played Murphy early before all the pieces were in place. I'd put my money on Murphy if they played again right now. Murphy played 4a Gilmer County, GA on the road and won 27-6. Gilmer had a bad season, but any win by a 1a team over a 4a team is impressive. Swain is always tough no matter the record and Murphy dominated the Maroon Devils. Murphy also spanked Robbinsville 49-7 on the road. That was Robbinsville's first loss against an SMC team in three years. Robbinsville was coming off two state title appearances (1-1) in a row coming into this season. Cherokee was no slouch this year either. I stand by what I said. For a 1a team, Murphy played a pretty good schedule.

I'll just post this over here for you too.

Haha, you're talking to someone who knows football. Gilmer was 0-10. I don't care if it was 4A, they sucked. Franklin got beat down by the 3rd place team in the MAC and many others. Hendersonville was mediocre at best. The SMC was dreadful this season and the western side of the 1A was even worse. Looks like you don't know football and you are way out of your league. You can't dispute a thing I just said kiddo!

Oh I forgot the home school team MICS that all you Murphy fans where making fun of before you played them. How many home schoolers did y'all play this year. That had to me a record! Lol

#47 uncgrad1998

uncgrad1998

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 01:53 PM

I do wish Murphy would stop playing Carolina and North Georgia and play more teams from WNC.

Murphy Bulldogs
NC 2A State Champs: 1974
NC 1A State Champs: 1986, 1987, 1991, 1996, 2011, 2013, 2016
NC 2A Western State Champs: 1970
Western Region Champs: 1974, 1986, 1987, 1991, 1994, 1996, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2016
Smoky Mountain Conference Champs: 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1975, 1978, 1985, 1986, 1991, 1992, 1994, 1996, 2001, 2002, 2005, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2016

#48 NC nole fan

NC nole fan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 278 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 01:56 PM

I'll just post this over here for you too.

Haha, you're talking to someone who knows football. Gilmer was 0-10. I don't care if it was 4A, they sucked. Franklin got beat down by the 3rd place team in the MAC and many others. Hendersonville was mediocre at best. The SMC was dreadful this season and the western side of the 1A was even worse. Looks like you don't know football and you are way out of your league. You can't dispute a thing I just said kiddo!

Oh I forgot the home school team MICS that all you Murphy fans where making fun of before you played them. How many home schoolers did y'all play this year. That had to me a record! Lol

Doesn't matter what you say, and I'll tell you one thing I do know, the Dogs handled their business and are playing for a championship tomorrow and your team (whoever in the hell that is??????) is not! I will enjoy that while you analyze schedule strength, *!€£ measuring, or whatever else blows your skirt up. Mmmm kay?

#49 NC nole fan

NC nole fan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 278 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 01:59 PM

I do wish Murphy would stop playing Carolina and North Georgia and play more teams from WNC.

Gotta get some more teams in WNC who are willing to play Murphy before they can schedule them. Kudos to Pisgah for agreeing to play Murphy for the next couple of years.

You hear that Magnum??? Is that a tough enough team or do they have to go undefeated first before you say they are any good?

#50 Paul Graham

Paul Graham

Correspondent

• Admin Team
  • 3,148 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 02:33 PM

Who exactly is Magnum's team?? Some one that sits down in the Piedmont and talks mountain football has a hard time judging what is good and what is not.

Playoff teams in the regular seson.

Hendo 3rd round

Franklin 2nd round

Cherokee 3rd round

Hayesville 2nd round

Swain 3rd round

Murphy is not a 4A team but is a very good 1A team that contends every year for a trip to the finals. tell us who you pull for and what your definition of a good team is.

P.R. Graham

SMC

JeffChapman-Dynamic