Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo
- - - - -

WHC 2017

• Please log in to reply
134 replies to this topic

#101 Owen Stampede

Owen Stampede

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 09:29 AM

Owen boys have lost there pride of being a Swannanoa valley boy. Times have sure changed. Not sure if we will recover unless this new industry brings some boys in.

#102 POLK FAN

POLK FAN

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 10:41 AM

That's tough hate to hear that

#103 cougars'12

cougars'12

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,152 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 12:36 PM

It looks like that The Gibbs are gone. They have now decided to go to Christ School. Looks like the qb is leaving to Erwin as well. Going to be another long year. Have at it boys.

I hate to hear that, this conference doesn't feel complete when Owen's not in the mix

#104 cougars'12

cougars'12

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,152 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 12:38 PM

Who are mtn heritage's non conference games this year?

Brevard, Erwin, Salisbury, Hayesville, Bessemer City, and Hendersonville I'm pretty sure, I know NB and Davey Crockett dropped us, I'm not sure what happened to Rosman and West Henderson

#105 Rocket

Rocket

JV Team

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 06:02 PM

It looks like that The Gibbs are gone. They have now decided to go to Christ School. Looks like the qb is leaving to Erwin as well. Going to be another long year. Have at it boys.

I hate to hear that if true. However, if true it just shows the lack of commitment from these players to the program, school, and community. Quality pieces to build with and they won't stick through tough times. It shows it's all about "them."

#106 BlueDevilsBiggestFan

BlueDevilsBiggestFan

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,331 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 09:24 PM

I hate to hear that if true. However, if true it just shows the lack of commitment from these players to the program, school, and community. Quality pieces to build with and they won't stick through tough times. It shows it's all about "them."

That maybe true but many athletes will transfer if they think they have a better opportunity to get see by colleges n They Gotta do what best for them

#WeAreMooresville

~~BlueDevilsBiggestFan~~

#107 Owen Stampede

Owen Stampede

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 05:15 AM

That's the biggest bull crap I ever heard. If you are good enough they will find you. Owen has sent some kids to some of the biggest schools in the country and it's the smallest school in the county. Even on losing teams kids have went places. Christ school plays a cream puff schedule each year. As a scout I wouldn't desire a kid from that. We had another kid that transferred there a few years ago and got a scholarship to some small school in TN. Had he stayed at Owen I know he would have got at least that if not more playing along side of Jager Gardner whom was being recruited very heavily. Jager went to Temple and we had 2 other guys go to play college ball in schools just as big as the school Malik Johnson went to. A example of a kid who went to big time college football from Owen on a losing team was Jamil Smith, 2001, Owen was 5-7 after losing to Shelby a 2 seed while Owen was a 15 seed in the playoffs. He got a scholarship to play at Wake Forest.

#108 Owen Stampede

Owen Stampede

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 05:18 AM

I agree and at the end of the day you don't need them if it's me ball. If you go to the games and listen to the mom, you can tell it's me ball.

#109 Mitchell county mountie

Mitchell county mountie

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 07:05 AM

I agree and at the end of the day you don't need them if it's me ball. If you go to the games and listen to the mom, you can tell it's me ball.

Agree 100% If they aren't willing to tough out the hard times, they're not a team player. That's why divorce is so rampant in today's time. Nobody is teaching these young'uns gumption anymore. I have heard some rumors about Mitchell receiving transfers from Avery this year. While it may help the Mountaineers, it further deepens the hole being dug in Newland, and that's not good for conference.

#110 BlueDevilsBiggestFan

BlueDevilsBiggestFan

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,331 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 06:23 PM

Loyalty is hard find these days I mean Players only care bout getting recruited these days so if they have leave one school to another they will. I mean example again: Most WI players went to Statesville Christian but also If West Iredell could kept all their athletes , they have had many athletes go to other schools who should of been at West Iredell

#WeAreMooresville

~~BlueDevilsBiggestFan~~

#111 Bootlegger

Bootlegger

JV Team

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 11:00 AM

Times are changing all around WNC. Traditional powers are no longer traditional in many cases and you can thank the changing demographics for that. Brevard was once one of the best year in and year out. I believe they averaged 9 wins a season for the better part of nearly 40 years. That's incredible. Ecusta and DuPont close their doors, out goes the working families and in comes the retirees. Same could be said for Owen. What once a traditionally blue collar area is now being overrun by Yuppies. Just look at Black Mountain to see that. If the paper mill were to ever close in Canton, Pisgah might cease to exist.

There are a few areas where you can see the tide turning for the good however. I think TC Roberson and probably West Henderson have bright futures with all the manufacturing coming to the Arden, Mills River and Fletcher areas. That'll bring in a lot of working class families to those areas. 

#112 Owen Stampede

Owen Stampede

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 04:48 PM

Look, Gibbs is a huge talent but what kinda message is he sending a college scout about commitment. Hey scout if in 3 years of being at your school, I might jump ship if things aren't peachy. Why should a school waste a scholarship on a kid who shows a lack of commitment.

#113 Rocket

Rocket

JV Team

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 05:43 PM

Look, Gibbs is a huge talent but what kinda message is he sending a college scout about commitment. Hey scout if in 3 years of being at your school, I might jump ship if things aren't peachy. Why should a school waste a scholarship on a kid who shows a lack of commitment.

I agree. He is talented and if he does decide to go, I am sure that will be noted by recruiters. I only saw the QB play vs ACR. He may have been a decent QB in the WHC but he will struggle in the MAC. I don't mean any disrespect against him but many better athletes in the MAC and Erwin has a young QB they believe will be better than Ferguson.

#114 Appvol

Appvol

Established Member

• Members
  • 639 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 08:17 PM

Talent outweighs that.Kids commit and de-commit all the time. They transfer all the time because they don't get to play enough or get their chance. Remember these coaches recruiting kids may not even be there by the time the kid gets there or graduates.It stinks that Gibbs left Owen but his family is doing what they think is best for him.
VFL

#115 cougars'12

cougars'12

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,152 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 08:45 PM

I agree. He is talented and if he does decide to go, I am sure that will be noted by recruiters. I only saw the QB play vs ACR. He may have been a decent QB in the WHC but he will struggle in the MAC. I don't mean any disrespect against him but many better athletes in the MAC and Erwin has a young QB they believe will be better than Ferguson.

I know it's not the point of your post, but Trey Robinson, Ben Young of Mitchell, and Hendo's qb ( can't think of his name), are all great qb's, tough full back type runners with break away speed that just so happen to have cannons for arms, I get that typically the top three Mac teams are more talented being that they have more talent to choose from, but last year Heritage beat what a lot of people would consider the best qb in that conference (ferguson of Erwin) pretty handily and our qb was a big part of that.

#116 BlueDevilsBiggestFan

BlueDevilsBiggestFan

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,331 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 09:42 PM

Talent outweighs that.Kids commit and de-commit all the time. They transfer all the time because they don't get to play enough or get their chance. Remember these coaches recruiting kids may not even be there by the time the kid gets there or graduates.It stinks that Gibbs left Owen but his family is doing what they think is best for him.

This was the point I was trying make I mean Being Recruited is Top thing for athletes now days so they will go where they think will give them the best opportunity

#WeAreMooresville

~~BlueDevilsBiggestFan~~

#117 Owen Stampede

Owen Stampede

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 06:00 AM

In football it ain't Christ school. They have not sent anyone anywhere. Basketball is a different story.

#118 rocketman

rocketman

Established Member

• Members
  • 884 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 12:44 PM

He should have stayed at Owen, he would have put up huge numbers..Owen was prime for a big year. Don't understand why the qb would go to Erwin.

#119 rocketman

rocketman

Established Member

• Members
  • 884 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 12:47 PM

In football it ain't Christ school. They have not sent anyone anywhere. Basketball is a different story.

Agree, Christ school is not that good in football.

#120 BlueDevilsBiggestFan

BlueDevilsBiggestFan

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,331 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 09:09 PM

Agree, Christ school is not that good in football.

I agree as well I mean In gerneral IMO the Private school football is not that great compared to other states

#WeAreMooresville

~~BlueDevilsBiggestFan~~

#121 Mitchell county mountie

Mitchell county mountie

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 06:58 AM

North Carolina is behind the times in relation to other southern  states when it comes to high school football. But we are catching up. Teams like MICS and Christ school WILL be yearly contenders in a few short seasons.

#122 Rocket

Rocket

JV Team

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 09:04 AM

It just gets deeper. I heard that Owen's best basketball player is now re-classing and going to Christ School as well.

#123 Owen Stampede

Owen Stampede

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 10:11 AM

Ben Craig, I heard that as well.

#124 Appvol

Appvol

Established Member

• Members
  • 639 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 01:17 PM

Anybody watching any spring games today.Want to see what Jarrett Guarantano can do for my Vols.Glad he was able to red shirt last year.
VFL

#125 Rocket

Rocket

JV Team

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 07:39 PM

North Carolina is behind the times in relation to other southern states when it comes to high school football. But we are catching up. Teams like MICS and Christ school WILL be yearly contenders in a few short seasons.

Of course Christ School will be contenders because they have recruited all the local high schools talent and play an extremely weak private school schedule. Better watch your players up there in Mitchell County! Lol

JeffChapman-Dynamic