Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo
- - - - -

WHC 2017

• Please log in to reply
134 replies to this topic

#1 Owen Stampede

Owen Stampede

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 05:43 PM

Let's here it. How do you think things will shake out?

#2 Owen Stampede

Owen Stampede

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 05:57 PM

I know I will catch it for my picks but here they are

1. HERITAGE- still have Robinson but will need some players from jv to step in a contribute right away.
2. OWEN- Sidney back with a young talented and now experienced group of returning players will equal success. The past 2 very small senior classes have dissapointed. No leadership whatsoever. Now this is Sidneys team and he will be a leader on and off the field and steer the young horses to greatness.
3. MITCHELL- Young will carry this team but will the load prove to heavy? I think it will be too much to top the other 2 teams but hey they surprised me this year.
4. AVERY- they have talent just got to stay healthy and they could surprise.
5. POLK- all those years of horrible jvs are catching up.
6. MADISON- This team is a wild card really. They could finish last or do like this year and surprise everyone. Apparently the coach is pretty good so who knows really.

These predictions are if there are no transfers in or out of the schools. Also any major injuries could cripple any team in the league. Beginning with 2017 I feel Owen should be back for a while and I really feel like Heritage and Owen will become a very intense rivalry battling for the WHC crown year in and year out. I think Avery will come up every now and then and I believe Mitchell will fall off. I think Polk is done and Madison will have a good year every now and then. But hey I could be totally wrong.

#3 rocketman

rocketman

Established Member

• Members
  • 886 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 06:24 PM

Hate to say it stampede I agree with you
1- Owen best skill player in the who, lot of big boy up front.
2- mh. Lot of talent coming up
3- Mit. Need to find go to back
4 - Polk will battle Mitch for 3rd
5- Avery will be better this year, year away from being good
6- mad. Need to replace Edwards

Like stampede said with hendo gone look for rivalry between. Heritage and owen

#4 cougars'12

cougars'12

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,154 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 08:33 PM

Who all does Madison lose off of this years squad? I think Mitchell should be the team to beat next year but I don't see them beating Heritage at Heritage and luckily we will have Owen at home as well this year, I think Owen will be a solid third, followed by Polk and Madison, not sure what's going on with Avery but I keep hearing kids are looking to transfer to Mitchell and Cloudland, I hope they get things figured out they really haven't gave the current coach much of a chance

#5 Magnum

Magnum

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 08:51 AM

Heritage and Owen will fight for top spot. Mitchell after that. The rest

#6 Mitchell county mountie

Mitchell county mountie

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 3,109 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 10:57 AM

Mitchell and Owen return the most players, Mitchell all but 3 starters. Heritage might drop off a little from this year, Avery is losing alot of players to transfers, Polk will struggle again, and Madison might surprise again. I see it as

1 Mitchell outright.
2 Heritage/Owen
4 Madison
5 Polk
6 Avery

#7 Bonecollector

Bonecollector

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 11:06 AM

i hate to say it, but Heritage will reload with a lot of rising talent from their JV squad.  I believe they have won something like 30 games in a row, so I would put Heritage at the top then Mitchell and Owen fighting it out for second place.

#8 Magnum

Magnum

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 11:24 AM

Mitchell and Owen return the most players, Mitchell all but 3 starters. Heritage might drop off a little from this year, Avery is losing alot of players to transfers, Polk will struggle again, and Madison might surprise again. I see it as

1 Mitchell outright.
2 Heritage/Owen
4 Madison
5 Polk
6 Avery

Heritage has hammered Mitchell two years in a row. How would rank Mitchell above them

#9 titanman27

titanman27

Established Member

• Members
  • 688 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 11:34 AM

To be honest, I see another 3 way tie for first..

1. Heritage- Return some good talent and a lot more coming up from JV

1. Mitchell- Probably will be the most well rounded team but seems to slip up to Heritage every year

1. Hendersonville- Dont sleep on Hendersonville, 2 great QBs and athletes

4. Owen- Will be improved but line play has been bad. Gibbs must stay healthy or they will be back down the rankings

5. Madison- Patriots will be a tough out but not enough talent to crack top 4

6. Polk- Polk has been a little down recently but will be competitive and could finish top 5

7. Avery- Avery needs a new coach

#10 rocketman

rocketman

Established Member

• Members
  • 886 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 11:44 AM

No way Mitchell beats heritage in Burnsville, unless they get a bunch of new players.honestly I am more worried about Owen.mit will still have a solid team.

#11 Owen Stampede

Owen Stampede

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 12:37 PM

Hendo is no longer in the WHC

#12 Bootlegger

Bootlegger

JV Team

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 01:27 PM

To be honest, I see another 3 way tie for first..

1. Heritage- Return some good talent and a lot more coming up from JV

1. Mitchell- Probably will be the most well rounded team but seems to slip up to Heritage every year

1. Hendersonville- Dont sleep on Hendersonville, 2 great QBs and athletes

4. Owen- Will be improved but line play has been bad. Gibbs must stay healthy or they will be back down the rankings

5. Madison- Patriots will be a tough out but not enough talent to crack top 4

6. Polk- Polk has been a little down recently but will be competitive and could finish top 5

7. Avery- Avery needs a new coach

Hendo will be leaving the WHC and going to a conference with Brevard, East Henderson, Franklin, Pisgah and Smoky Mountain.

#13 titanman27

titanman27

Established Member

• Members
  • 688 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 02:40 PM

Hendo will be leaving the WHC and going to a conference with Brevard, East Henderson, Franklin, Pisgah and Smoky Mountain.

Ahh ok gotcha. I keep forgetting about realignment... In that case I figure Mitchell and Heritage will battle it out for first...

#14 raptor

raptor

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 215 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 12:49 AM

Heritage 5-0
Mitchell 4-1great coaches win games they shouldnt. Greatness not achevied.
Madison 3-2
Owen polk 2-3 1-4 possible to switch one with madison
Avery dont see em winning a game. To much conflict.

Why is everyone picking owen to be so good?

#15 Packleader

Packleader

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 01:13 PM

You should look for polk to do better next year. They're going back to 1a next year but has the same team they did this year. minus just 4 starting seniors (i think only 3 to 4 started there was a total of about 8).same  o line/d line  just have to replace one starter. They've been in it to win it every game exept for the mitchell game and hendersonville game. They should make some noise

#16 WNCfootballFan

WNCfootballFan

JV Team

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 12:54 PM

I am excited to see the new match ups for Hendo.  Pisgah and Franklin will be solid next year. 

#17 mitchaneers

mitchaneers

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 12:39 PM

Mitchell will return 6 all conference players next year, that is about as many as I can ever remember a team returning, Mitchell and Hendersonville returned 4 last year which lead all of WNC. They return all skill players except tight end, and 4 out of 5 linemen on offense. With that being said I still think Heritage wins the conference, if Hendersonville was still in the conference I would say another 3 way tie just due to the way these teams match up with each other, but I see it as a big help for Heritage with Hendersonville being out of the conference now. Gibbs being back for Owen will be huge, but I still think Mitchell will edge them out for 2nd, Mitchell was up 43 to 0 and Owen didn't have a first down halfway through the 3rd quarter this year and both will return basically the same team except add Gibbs, plus it will be at Owen, I think it will even things up quite a bit from last year, but I still see Mitchell edging it out, but that's just purely my uneducated opinion, very well could be wrong.

#18 Mitchell county mountie

Mitchell county mountie

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 3,109 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 01:39 PM

Owen was very young, and without their biggest play maker. If this were a Kenny Ford team, then I'd say they were back in Tthe mix, but I'm not sold on coach Padgett yet. It's not a shot at him, I knownonothing about the man. It's just hard to judge after 2 1-win seasons. Between heritage and Mitchell IMO. Heritage has the advantage of keeping good players on jv, Mitchell does not. The mountaineers will have several juniors next year that have already played in a state championship and a western final. That's alot of experience. Madison losing Edwards will be big, but, I think if Rhodarmer sticks around, the pats could start some sustained success. Polk returns almost everyone, but drops to 1aa. The wolverines might finish 3rd or 4th in conference, but could very well make it to the 3rd round. Avery needs some serious help, the program has hit rock-bottom, and there's nowhere to go but up from there. Talent looms in Newland, but they need some steady leadership from those calling the shots. Heritage benefits greatly by hendo leaving, but some fans are getting mighty complacent thinking the cougs need a tougher conference already. Heritage needs to win a few outright conference championships before they start that talk...

#19 rocketman

rocketman

Established Member

• Members
  • 886 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 05:34 PM

Owen was very young, and without their biggest play maker. If this were a Kenny Ford team, then I'd say they were back in Tthe mix, but I'm not sold on coach Padgett yet. It's not a shot at him, I knownonothing about the man. It's just hard to judge after 2 1-win seasons. Between heritage and Mitchell IMO. Heritage has the advantage of keeping good players on jv, Mitchell does not. The mountaineers will have several juniors next year that have already played in a state championship and a western final. That's alot of experience. Madison losing Edwards will be big, but, I think if Rhodarmer sticks around, the pats could start some sustained success. Polk returns almost everyone, but drops to 1aa. The wolverines might finish 3rd or 4th in conference, but could very well make it to the 3rd round. Avery needs some serious help, the program has hit rock-bottom, and there's nowhere to go but up from there. Talent looms in Newland, but they need some steady leadership from those calling the shots. Heritage benefits greatly by hendo leaving, but some fans are getting mighty complacent thinking the cougs need a tougher conference already. Heritage needs to win a few outright conference championships before they start that talk...

Since 2007 Heritage is 9-2 against Mitchell most of the wins were by a good margin, 9-2 against Avery and 9-3 against Mad don't really see it changing. Owen will be good the next few years, they need to go also.

#20 Rocket

Rocket

JV Team

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 09:21 AM

Coach Padgett was my son's position coach when he was at ACR.  I will say this about him.  He is the complete opposite of Kenny Ford in terms of character and integrity.  He coached under Poss, McCurry, and Laws at ACR.  He has the knowledge and background.  He is very involved with the youth league, FCA, and having his players give back to the community.   I really believe if Gibbs had not gotten injured, Owen would have beat Avery, McDowell, Madison, and Polk and probably finished 5-5. The question is would have Mitchell been as good without their QB or would have Heritage been as good without Robinson?  In my opinion, I don't think so. At this level, one player can make a huge difference.   

In terms of 2017, I think Heritage will still be the team to beat in the WHC.  Next, Owen and Mitchell will battle it out for 2nd/3rd and Polk could be in that mix as well.  Madison and Avery towards the bottom.  

#21 Bleed purple for life

Bleed purple for life

Established Member

• Members
  • 571 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 11:00 PM

Has anyone from the WHC signed to play college ball yet? had any offers?

#22 Heritage 84

Heritage 84

• Members
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 09:14 AM

I have heard of a few walk on offers, but not sure there were a lot of D1 senior talent in the conference this year. No offense intended to some great high school players, but  to be actually on the field playing at the D2 level could be a great accomplishment. Caught a couple of D2 games over the past couple years and could not believe the level that even D2 has moved to for athletes. 6'7" 266-280 lb. defensive ends all over the field now at D2 level. Also the skilled players are sub 4.5 guys at most positions. The skill level to compete or actually be on the field in college football has increased over the past 5-6 year dramatically. In watching our conference games, I just don't see a lot of guys on the field that would compete for playing time at that level. I hope I am wrong, because there are many good student athletes in our conference. Just an uphill battle in my opinion. Best of luck to all the seniors at any level they choose to pursue. If you love football, just being on the field for any college could make a lifetime of memories for these kids.

#23 hhs_redscare0206

hhs_redscare0206

Established Member

• Members
  • 917 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 08:29 AM

We always have kids go play D1 and D2. Im sure Leon will end up playing somewhere on Saturday.

#24 Mitchell county mountie

Mitchell county mountie

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 3,109 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 01:29 PM

cooks is a hoss. he is an Alabama type runner, big and physical.

#25 SMC Observer

SMC Observer

CP Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 3,302 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 03:13 AM

1. Heritage

2. Mitchell

3. Owen

4. Madison

5. Polk

6. Avery