• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#1 Picken-n-Grinnen

Picken-n-Grinnen

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 02:54 PM

With the football season drawing to a close in a couple of weeks I first want to wish those still playing, the very best.  Those of us who's teams are done are already looking to next season with anticipation.  Next years playoffs will look different as several traditional teams are moving up to 2A and we will have a few new faces dropping down to join the party. 

In the 1A West you will still have Murphy and Mitchell at the top.  They both return some key pieces but who else can step up and shake things up in the 1A West?  Will Robbinsville be back at the top?  What will MIC be like? (Don't turn this into a MIC thread, please)

In the 1AA West you will have East Surry who returns basically their whole team, Whiteville who was young and returns a ton, Mt. Airy who returns a lot of key pieces, East Wilkes, Swain and the addition of North Rowan who is athletic.  Does the SPC have any team that key cause some noise next season?  Does the YVC have a team who can be the spoiler?  

Who is everyone's picks as the very early favorite based on what they have returning next season in the 1A and 1AA West?

Who will step up and give Plymoth and Tarboro a run for their money in the East?  Eastern guys help me out.  

#2 SMC Observer

SMC Observer

CP Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 3,116 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 03:00 PM

Murphy returns 15 starters, including all their skill guys minus a WR. I expect them to be firmly in the conversation for best team in 1a or 1aa

#3 Mitchell county mountie

Mitchell county mountie

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 03:07 PM

Murphy returns 15 starters, including all their skill guys minus a WR. I expect them to be firmly in the conversation for best team in 1a or 1aa

This plus Mitchell. They return all but 3 starters. These 2 will be ranked #1 and #2 next year.

#4 Yates357

Yates357

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 03:07 PM

Mitchell returns almost everyone. We lose 5 seniors I believe, with only three of those starting. Return the qb all the running backs and receivers. And pretty much all the defense beside big self, yelton and mckinney. Still very much excited about this year. But another great year next year as well.

#5 Picken-n-Grinnen

Picken-n-Grinnen

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 03:10 PM

SMC Observer,

Murphy will be in the mix no doubt.  I have been to the hill a couple of times to watch my Cards play you guys.  Great place for a high school football game.  The game that stands out the most was a heck of a game in the 3rd round in 2001.  My cards did something that was tough and beat the JC Brown lead Bulldogs at "The Hill" 17-13.    The week before it poured the rain and the field got pretty torn up.  When we played it was about 29 degrees at game time and the mud was frozen.  By the end of the game it started snowing lightly and was flipping cold!  I wish we were all closer to each other and could play some non conference games against you guys.  Good Luck this week!

#6 SMC Observer

SMC Observer

CP Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 3,116 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 03:35 PM

SMC Observer,

Murphy will be in the mix no doubt.  I have been to the hill a couple of times to watch my Cards play you guys.  Great place for a high school football game.  The game that stands out the most was a heck of a game in the 3rd round in 2001.  My cards did something that was tough and beat the JC Brown lead Bulldogs at "The Hill" 17-13.    The week before it poured the rain and the field got pretty torn up.  When we played it was about 29 degrees at game time and the mud was frozen.  By the end of the game it started snowing lightly and was flipping cold!  I wish we were all closer to each other and could play some non conference games against you guys.  Good Luck this week!

That '01 Murphy team is one of the greatest "what ifs" in Bulldogs history. JC Brown (WCU commit) was forced from wingback to QB early in the year because the starting QB Daniel Kent (Wofford commit) got injured the first game of the season, Kent played through the injury but could no longer play QB with the type of injury he sustained. That was just the latest in what had been a horrific offseason of bad luck for that year's team...

Murphy's starting WR/DB from the '00 team Joey Allen transferred to TC Roberson in Asheville prior to the start of the season. One of the big time backs from the '00 team, Hetzel, also transferred before the '01 season to a school in Woodstock, GA. Kagney Colbert another back/linebacker from the '00 team didn't play in '01 because of injury. Then the icing on the cake was Drew McKeon (probably the best athlete in the school) not coming out for football in '01. Had McKeon played it would've allowed Brown to stay at wingback (McKeon had a great arm). All that on top of more injuries suffered by those actually on the team during the grind of the season.

With better luck the '01 team could've been one of the more talented teams Murphy has fielded.

#7 WarriorLife04'

WarriorLife04'

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 04:36 PM

West Montgomery won't miss a beat. Good kids coming back and #7 will just be a Junior! Warriors will make noise next 2 years before they merge with East Montgomery and build a power house 3A program.

#8 Knights

Knights

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,322 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 06:24 PM

Murphy and Mitchell could be 1aa or 1a next yr. Both will be favorite s in either. Robbinsville and Cherokee should be good.

#9 Bonecollector

Bonecollector

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 322 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 06:36 PM

Cherokee should be real good. Mitchell's numbers keep going down, I believe the incoming freshman class will be smaller than this years.

#10 Go Dogs!

Go Dogs!

JV Team

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 06:46 PM

Tarboro will be hard to beat in 1AA.

#11 Mitchell county mountie

Mitchell county mountie

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 06:46 PM

Murphy and Mitchell could be 1aa or 1a next yr. Both will be favorite s in either. Robbinsville and Cherokee should be good.

Cherokee should have a real good year. Will Robbinsville revamp next year?

#12 seat93

seat93

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 07:29 PM

Mount Airy and East Surry return almost the same teams that played twice this year.  Mt. Airy loses their QB, running back, and best defensive lineman, best linebacker and defensive end.  East Surry loses two tight ends, best offensive guard, center, and fullback.  East Surry started three freshmen on defense the second round of the playoffs.  

Best in 1-AA in the west: West Montgomery, North Rowan, Swain, Mount Airy, and East Surry!!!!!!!

#13 WM1977

WM1977

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 08:23 PM

West Montgomery loses QB, RB, top WR, a couple of DL/OL, couple of LBs but...... West's backup QB is pretty damn good. Rhone is just a Sophomore at RB and there are more sophomores and freshmen who play this season than ever before in the history of Warrior football. The bench is deep and after a summer of the weight room and guidance of the coaching staff the next few years at West Montgomery look promising. As far as the 2019 combining goes....well, there hasn't been any dirt moved yet and it's far from a "done deal." It may very well happen but it won't happen until the fall of 2020 at best. So this year's 7th grade class would be Seniors the first football season. That's a while away. Next season has the potential to be special. Could y'all imagine a 1AA final four in the West of Mitchell, Murphy, Mt. Airy/E. Surry, West Montgomery??? Wow.....

#14 WarriorLife04'

WarriorLife04'

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 08:37 PM

Rhone is going to be a hand full for teams next year. Him and Horne will be tough to stop.

#15 WM1977

WM1977

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 08:45 PM

That's two of the fastest players on the team coming back. And Horne can throw the ball as well.....

#16 KW23

KW23

Established Member

• Members
  • 536 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 10:14 PM

I know its been said already but cherokee will be good. They really impressed me last week even though they lost.

#17 Alex Rains

Alex Rains

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 11:33 PM

Plymouth and Southside will continue to be forces in the East. With the announcement that former Washington Head Coach Sport Sawyer will lead the program at Manteo, look for the Redskins to return to a top 1-A team in the East in the next couple of years.

#18 VikandPirate4Christ

VikandPirate4Christ

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 338 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 06:30 AM

I'm excited that we start our series with Plymouth again after about 15 years next year
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Jesus Saves

Tarboro Vikings- 1965 and 1984 3A Champs, 2009,2010,and 2011 2A Champs. 1998,2008,and 2012 2A State Runner Up

#19 Alex Rains

Alex Rains

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 06:40 AM

I'm excited that we start our series with Plymouth again after about 15 years next year

That should be fun. I'm old enough to remember when they were in the same conference.

#20 Magnum

Magnum

JV Team

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 09:41 AM

Are there literally 3 or 4 teams in 1a that are pretty good every year. The state really needs to adjust the numbers because it's laughable when teams like Mitchell are the best in the state

#21 wncbowhunter

wncbowhunter

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 427 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 10:24 AM

Are there literally 3 or 4 teams in 1a that are pretty good every year. The state really needs to adjust the numbers because it's laughable when teams like Mitchell are the best in the state

How would you adjust? Add larger teams to the 1a level? Take away teams? Considering you are the only one on here who claims to know football give us the answers. 

Seems to me that 1a teams should not be as good as larger 2-4a teams. I think that you must look at each class  differently. Up to now Mitchell has never been the best in the state. Last season they was the best in the west but that has nothing to do with this season. Hopefully they can compete tonight but not to derail on that game, another topic for that but just looking for your answers. 

#22 wncbowhunter

wncbowhunter

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 427 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 10:29 AM

As for next season, I think it starts with Tarboro, then in no order: Mt. Airy, West Mont. Murphy, Plymouth, Cherokee, Mitchell, Swain, North Rowan, East Surry and Robbinsville will be talented. MICS could be depending upon what changes and transfers take place. (This is not a jab just an observation). 

#23 Magnum

Magnum

JV Team

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 10:29 AM

I would make sure teams like Murphy and Mitchell are never in small 1A. Murphy coach is on the state panel and makes sure they stay below that line so it well be easy every year. Mitchell will be gone in a few years but Murphy will continue to take advantage of not counting students and avoiding 1AA. Your have to admit is bad when teams like Cherokee and mics make the 3rd rd

#24 Gonzo

Gonzo

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 10:31 AM

My airy and east surry will be loaded very good jvs tja should be loaded they wee young this year.

#25 wncbowhunter

wncbowhunter

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 427 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 10:32 AM

Magnum, how would you make sure teams like Murphy and Mitchell are never 1a.?  What do you base it on?  Just saying they should not be there is not a plan it is an opinion. 

Yea that MICS team was really bad with their multiple D1 prospects. Jeez, 

I will bet Murphy and Mitchell will be around longer than you and your vast knowledge. While Mitchell does not have the history that the SMC does this is the 3rd time since 2010 they have been in the western finals. With another 3 round game mixed in. Not bad I would assume lots of Western 1a schools would like to have a run like that. Granted there were a couple of 1 win seasons as well.

JeffChapman-Dynamic