Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo

Allen resigns at Freedom

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#51 FHS1985

FHS1985

Established Member

• Members
  • 938 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 02:39 PM

Word is....Jim Bob Bryant HC Havelock applied and was told if he wanted the job it was his!

I can't really say that I would be disappointed if that is true, but I would still prefer Joe Glass.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.”

― C.S. Lewis

#52 BD4443

BD4443

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 02:50 PM

NM

#53 bigdawg_33

bigdawg_33

Established Member

• Members
  • 828 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 03:18 PM

That's what I heard too.

Friend of mine got that straight from someone with the news herald outta Morganton.
"the world meets no one half way, if you want it, you gotta take it!"

#54 hbnw

hbnw

JV Team

• Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 10:37 PM

I can't really say that I would be disappointed if that is true, but I would still prefer Joe Glass.

#55 hbnw

hbnw

JV Team

• Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 10:39 PM

What's best for Freedom? JBB's resume is better than Glass. If I were a Freedom fan I would be extremely excited to get JBB.

#56 BlueDevilsBiggestFan

BlueDevilsBiggestFan

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 10:40 PM

What's best for Freedom? JBB's resume is better than Glass. If I were a Freedom fan I would be extremely excited to get JBB.

I every time I hear his name I get mad bc Mooresville passed on him smh

#WeAreMooresville

~~BlueDevilsBiggestFan~~

#57 FHS1985

FHS1985

Established Member

• Members
  • 938 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 05:31 AM

Joe Glass is likely to be at Freedom for a long time if he gets the job (he is an alum). We got burned with Blair Hardin and don't want to see something like that happen again.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.”

― C.S. Lewis

#58 Schmo

Schmo

Established Member

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 08:43 AM

Glass is THE hire for Freedom.  I'm shocked that the deal has not already been signed, sealed, and announced.

#59 FHS1985

FHS1985

Established Member

• Members
  • 938 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 09:04 AM

Glass is THE hire for Freedom.  I'm shocked that the deal has not already been signed, sealed, and announced.

He was at one of the Christmas tournament games last week and I'll bet at least 25 people walked up to him and shook his hand.  Part of that was "hey, maybe he'll be our new coach", but another part was "hey, there's Joe who/went to school with my brother/was in my wife's class in 3rd grade/played little league with my cousin/etc."  Jim Bob Bryant or whoever else might get the job would be great and we will support that person, but Joe is from here-he knows this community and its expectations and frustrations. 

The coach who has had the longest tenure at Freedom was Tim McMahon who was here for 11 seasons.  He was also a local (his brother is a veterinarian in town) and I think that someone with a background like that would be most likely to provide stability.  I look at our basketball program as an example of what to emulate: two state titles in the last four years and both teams 9-1 this year.  Both coaches are alums and under 40 and I expect that both will be here for the foreseeable future.  Let us have that for the football program as well, if possible.

― C.S. Lewis

#60 Coachcre

Coachcre

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 199 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 09:51 AM

I have heard both names. One more than the other.

#61 MHSblueDevilsARE#1

MHSblueDevilsARE#1

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 6,116 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 02:29 PM

Congratulations on a phenomenal hire Freedom! You guys got a good one (I'm still salty we didn't end up getting JBB last yr lol)

#62 Coondog8579

Coondog8579

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 02:35 PM

JBB

#63 Steelers71

Steelers71

Established Member

• Coach
  • 657 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 02:52 PM

Wow, that's a great hire for Freedom!! Congrats!

#64 Paul Graham

Paul Graham

Correspondent

• Admin Team
  • 3,148 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 06:01 PM

Freedom just changed the game with his hire. Welcome to the west Coach Bryant

P.R. Graham

SMC

The standard in 1A since 1969

26 state titles in 35 apperances

22 consecutive finals appearances

SMC 1A/2A 32 state titles

#65 Schmo

Schmo

Established Member

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 08:52 AM

I'm still shocked that Glass didn't get the job but it looks like a great coach fell right into Freedom's lap.  Whatever reason Bryant decided to make a change should have a positive influence on the program in Morganton.  Freedom has never suffered for talent and I don't mean it in any mean way but they have been underachievers when you look at the players on the rosters over the years.  I know that the post season can come down to match-ups but Freedom has lost some games over the years that perhaps they were the better team.  I think the Northwestern Conference next year will come down to Freedom, Watauga, and Alexander Central.  The rest of the league is a step or two behind.  If Bryant can get everybody pulling the rope in the same direction, watch out !

JeffChapman-Dynamic