• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#1 FHS1985

FHS1985

Established Member

• Members
  • 769 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 05:53 PM

Per the News-Herald Brandon Allen has resigned at Freedom after three seasons. . http://www.morganton...fd715ff55a.html

Despite winning 27 games he only had one playoff win during that time (over Patton) and this year's team struggled finishing 6-6.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.”

― C.S. Lewis

#2 allenjd4life

allenjd4life

Established Member

• Members
  • 460 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 06:35 PM

Very odd and bold choice...

#3 Paul Graham

Paul Graham

Correspondent

• Admin Team
  • 3,138 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 07:07 PM

he should be in contention for a couple high profile jobs.

P.R. Graham

SMC

The standard in 1A since 1969

26 state titles in 35 apperances

22 consecutive finals appearances

SMC 1A/2A 32 state titles

#4 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 741 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 07:13 PM

No surprise for anyone in the Unifour area (four counties). After the post Patton High game locker room incident and assault charges against those on the team plus the ten player suspensions for the playoff game it was coming. Freedom has a great youth program and some very good talent. They need to hire someone with a open mind and embraces a spread offense. Look back at past players and track results and you will find Freedom has major speed.

#5 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 17,595 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 08:14 PM

Here would be the most logical and probable candidates of whom I would approach if I were Freedom.

Tripp Stone - Mallard Creek DC
Sam Mackey- Hibriten Asst
Chip English - West Caldwell
Tom Eanes - Patton
Joe Glass - JM Robinson
Ryan Habich - Watauga
Josh McGee - Reagan
Russell Stone - Village Christian
Mike Natoli - Statesville Christian DC
Brint Russell - East Rutherford Asst
Will Clark - Crest
Mike Byus - East Lincoln
Matt Beam - Newton-Conover
Allen Whittenburg - Hickory
Chad Grier - Davidson Day
Jason Lippard - NE Guilford
Scott Young - Statesville Asst

#6 bamatide13

bamatide13

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 233 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 09:22 PM

he should be in contention for a couple high profile jobs.

You are kidding............right?

#7 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 17,595 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 09:26 PM

He's a good coach, I'm certain he'll have opportunities.

#8 cougars'12

cougars'12

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 10:13 PM

North Henderson would make sense

#9 Slashman

Slashman

Established Member

• Members
  • 476 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 11:34 PM

Here would be the most logical and probable candidates of whom I would approach if I were Freedom.

Tripp Stone - Mallard Creek DC
Sam Mackey- Hibriten Asst
Chip English - West Caldwell
Tom Eanes - Patton
Joe Glass - JM Robinson
Ryan Habich - Watauga
Josh McGee - Reagan
Russell Stone - Village Christian
Mike Natoli - Statesville Christian DC
Brint Russell - East Rutherford Asst
Will Clark - Crest
Mike Byus - East Lincoln
Matt Beam - Newton-Conover
Allen Whittenburg - Hickory
Chad Grier - Davidson Day
Jason Lippard - NE Guilford
Scott Young - Statesville Asst

Great list of candidates there. Freedom's a good name they could get any of those guys.

I wouldn't mind seeing Natoli getting it after what all happened to him at West Iredell; same with Whittenburg after what happened at Hickory. Be a nice bit of kharma in that way.

Freedom will be fine they got good talent; just gotta find the right guy. 

#10 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 741 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 12:32 AM

Great list of candidates there. Freedom's a good name they could get any of those guys.

I wouldn't mind seeing Natoli getting it after what all happened to him at West Iredell; same with Whittenburg after what happened at Hickory. Be a nice bit of kharma in that way.

Freedom will be fine they got good talent; just gotta find the right guy.

Agree this list has great candidates. Also agree with Slashman it would be nice to see Wittenberg or Natoli get a shot. Natoli was a super coach at N-C and turned around a team down east. He is another coach that got undermined by parents at West Iredell.

Just my opinion but Chip English is a superstar coach after his body of work at West Caldwell. That program was in a ten year shambles before his hire and he made them co champs in the toughest 2A conference in the state. Bright young guy with lots of energy. I've watched him on the sidelines and he can get kids to respond. Short drive from his new home in Caldwell County. Beam would be a perfect fit with the type of athletes Freedom has. I could see the bombs dropping from the sky over in Morganton.

#11 Paul Graham

Paul Graham

Correspondent

• Admin Team
  • 3,138 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 07:29 AM

You are kidding............right?

No. You know as well as I do that baggage, rumor and the other things that follow coaches rarely gets in the way of getting better jobs. Its all about the interview. He has a good record and that means more to some AD's than developing players.

P.R. Graham

SMC

The standard in 1A since 1969

26 state titles in 35 apperances

22 consecutive finals appearances

SMC 1A/2A 32 state titles

#12 Schmo

Schmo

Established Member

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 08:34 AM

I heard this was going to happen even before the trouble at the end of the season.  Joe Glass is the early favorite in my opinion.  He is a terrific coach and has Freedom ties.

#13 Schmo

Schmo

Established Member

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 10:04 AM

Another good choice would be Tom Harper who has some Freedom ties too

#14 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 17,595 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 10:08 AM

Another good choice would be Tom Harper who has some Freedom ties too

Harper would be an incredible choice but he's went after this job several times before so would they to that route. He would be a great choice.

#15 sportsbroadcaster1

sportsbroadcaster1

Established Member

• Members
  • 868 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 12:50 PM

I heard this was going to happen even before the trouble at the end of the season. Joe Glass is the early favorite in my opinion. He is a terrific coach and has Freedom ties.

Indeed Joe Glass is a terrific coach but If I am Robinson I do everything I can to keep him. Without him Robinson next season might take 2 step backward.

#16 Hibriten

Hibriten

JV Team

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 01:21 PM

I would imagine that this would be English's job to turn down first.....he's got a lot of momentum with what he has done for WC.

#17 Schmo

Schmo

Established Member

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 02:54 PM

Indeed Joe Glass is a terrific coach but If I am Robinson I do everything I can to keep him. Without him Robinson next season might take 2 step backward.

I would agree but Glass will pursue the Freedom job in my opinion.  No, I haven't spoke with him about it but I know his Freedom roots run pretty deep.  Freedom is a place that has always been blessed with talent and he knows it

#18 FHS1985

FHS1985

Established Member

• Members
  • 769 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 03:35 PM

Joe Glass is my favorite, but getting him away from Robinson will be a tall order.

He is a Freedom graduate-so I hope that will help.

I like Tom Harper, but I would prefer a coach for the long term and Glass is not yet 40.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.”

― C.S. Lewis

#19 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 17,595 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 05:00 PM

I've personally spoke with Harper this week, I can assure you that he's got a long, long time left in coaching.  He's only in early 50's, that is not old at all.  

#20 FHS1985

FHS1985

Established Member

• Members
  • 769 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 06:05 PM

I've personally spoke with Harper this week, I can assure you that he's got a long, long time left in coaching. He's only in early 50's, that is not old at all.

Perhaps so, but there is still probably 15 years difference between Harper and Glass. Potentially that's the difference in someone being your coach for 10 years or 20.

― C.S. Lewis

#21 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 17,595 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 06:07 PM

20 years is an eternity. You rarely see that anywhere anymore. In this day and age, if a coach stays 6-8 years, consider yourself very fortunate.

#22 FHS1985

FHS1985

Established Member

• Members
  • 769 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 06:14 PM

20 years is an eternity. You rarely see that anywhere anymore. In this day and age, if a coach stays 6-8 years, consider yourself very fortunate.

If Joe Glass is the hire it will very likely signal a long term commitment on the part of the school and community. I won't speak for coach Glass, but I can't imagine that he would be reluctant to make that sort of commitment to his alma mater.

― C.S. Lewis

#23 FHS1985

FHS1985

Established Member

• Members
  • 769 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 06:17 PM

In other words, after the whirlwind of the last 5 seasons most of us want stability for our program and someone with a deep connection to the school seems the person most likely to provide that.

― C.S. Lewis

#24 bigdawg_33

bigdawg_33

Established Member

• Members
  • 828 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 08:44 PM

I can see Chip English at Freedom. I've been saying all along WC is just a stepping stone for him!
"the world meets no one half way, if you want it, you gotta take it!"

#25 BlueDevilsBiggestFan

BlueDevilsBiggestFan

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1,742 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 10:15 PM

Freedom is a Excellent Job esp with the Talent and beautiful area that are in.

Mike Natoli ; He would be a great coach but Will He peruse it but If he does, He is a great OC and very smart man and He takes care of his Athletes

Tom Harper: Very Well Known, Respected and He would be a tough n good coach for Freedom.

Scott Young; He will be a HC, Scott young is a great coach and He will bring Discipline to any school and He is very smart Man!

Joe Glass; Idk him personally but He a young and great coach and He will continue on building up his coaching career and This would be a great spot for him esp since he graduated from Freedom! He would be the Favorite and Likely choice

#WeAreMooresville

~~BlueDevilsBiggestFan~~

JeffChapman-Dynamic