Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo

Mitchell @ Murphy: the showdown

• Please log in to reply
426 replies to this topic

#26 SMC Observer

SMC Observer

CP Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 3,370 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 02:37 PM

Roberts wouldn't be getting any carries because he was the 3rd string fullback, but when Allen went out and with Blalock off the team he was forced into action and stepped up and performed admirably when called on. 'Dogs should be ok at that spot with him in there but he's not Allen.

#27 Bonecollector

Bonecollector

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 441 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 07:35 PM

Well Mitchell beat Cherokee by almost the exact score Murphy did, Mitchell beat Hayesville by almost the exact score Murphy did, Mitchell beat Hendersonville by about 20 and the game was really never in doubt and Murphy came from two tds down late to pull out the win, and both pretty much dominated Amdews with Murphy having a larger margin of victory. Both teams basically run the same offense, this all adds up to one helluva game. I doubted Mitchell last year against Walkerrown, not so this year. Mitchell by one or a little more.

#28 KW23

KW23

Established Member

• Members
  • 660 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 07:44 PM

No way, last night mitchell's offense was #22 right, left and up the middle. With a few passes to #4 mixed in when he would out juke and run cherokee's defense. That game should have been alot closer than it was, mitchell really didnt impress me much at all. My final prediction is murphy by 14, but more wouldnt surprise me. I was going to go to the game, bc i thought it would be great, until i watched mitchell last night, and if they dont play better than that murphy will smoke them.

#29 Bonecollector

Bonecollector

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 441 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 07:51 PM

So a 14 point halftime lead and a 45 to 14 finish which could have been 49 to 14 because Mitchell played their backups, over half the 4th quarter is not impressive against a 9-4 third round playoff team? Well then I'm glad they had an off night, cause they can only get better. You must have gotten so used to watchimg Alleghney you've went football blind. Cherokee is a good team and they were 9 and 4 for a reason.

#30 KW23

KW23

Established Member

• Members
  • 660 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 08:13 PM

Murphy is way more athletic, you'll see next week. Ill be really surprised if its a good game. Murphy was up 35 to 0 on cherokee at halftime. It was tied at 14 halfway thru 2nd qtr in last nights game. Halfway thru the 3rd qtr cherokee fumbled on read option at 3rd yrd line. If that would have been touchdown it would be 28 to 21 halfway thru 3rd. Cherokee is a great team they just did dumb stuff snaps over qb, dropped interceptions, fumbles etc...im not football blind smart ass, i just seen entire game murphy vs swain and murphy looked way better than mitchell did last night. Definitely faster. I didnt see the powerful line on display that mitchell fans brag on, i saw 22 outrunning people and #4 catching passes and making plays. I just think murphy is on a whole nother level. Don't hate because i think your team is going to lose big . thats my opinion, we will see what happens. I might drive 4 and half hours to pull for murphy if mitchell fans keep callin me football blind. I know alleghany football is garbage most years, but im still a fan and support them.

#31 Bonecollector

Bonecollector

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 441 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 08:28 PM

Yep dumb stuff including giving up 540 yards of total offense. It's playoff time expert, put the ball in your best players hands. By the way, I am not smart, I'm just an old redneck.

#32 KW23

KW23

Established Member

• Members
  • 660 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 09:01 PM

We will see u old redneck lol

#33 Mitchell county mountie

Mitchell county mountie

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 3,545 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 09:06 PM

Ben Young didn't carry the ball much last night? He scored a td, and ran for about 100 yards. Ben Robinson #20 carried it more and our speedy back, #2 had alot of touches, just couldn't get open. Murphy has a slight advantage on defense, but I think Mitchell has a better offense. JMO...

#34 Mitchell county mountie

Mitchell county mountie

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 3,545 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 09:30 PM

All this means nothing really, I just like to crunch numbers, so here's all the variables for this matchup.
Per Simmons ratings:

Murphy state rank, 131, 1a rank, 5, SOS 30
Mitchell state rank, 136, 1a rank, 6, SOS 24

Per MaxPreps:

Murphy state rank, 122, 1a rank, 6
Mitchell state rank, 121, 1a rank, 5

Murphy has averaged 39.5 ppg
Mitchell has averaged 39.25ppg

Murphy has allowed 11.1 ppg
Mitchell has allowed 12.1 ppg

They have played 4 common opponents;
Andrews
Hayesville
Cherokee (Mitchell twice)
Hendersonville

Mitchell won these games:

Andrews 34-7
Cherokee 21-0
Hendersonville 35-22
Hayesville 58-7
Cherokee 45-14
Average Cherokee score 33-7

Murphy won these games:
Andrews 48-0
Cherokee 42-13
Hendersonville 21-17
Hayesville 55-0

Both lost to a 2a regional powerhouse (Franklin and Mountain Heritage)

Factoring all this in, with SOS, rankings, and common opponents, I come up with a final score of:

Murphy 27.3472
Mitchell 27.33333

Lol this one will be epic

#35 wncbowhunter

wncbowhunter

Established Member

• Members
  • 570 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 09:32 PM

Weather could be a factor in this game.
Seen highs in Murphy in 30's lows in teens for Friday. That kind of cold can effect a game. One thing about it both teams get the same weather. Footballs are harder to throw, kick and even hold. Hits hurt just a little more.
Could be worse though just saw an early weather report for Mitchell county for Friday. Predicted to be single digits Friday night.
Bring an extra layer,hand warmers and hot coffee.

#36 gangsta8

gangsta8

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 09:26 AM

SMC Observer,

I don't think there is any team that's completely healthy around this time of the year.  If so that's what you call luck.  Us guys down to Plymouth can feel your pain, but it always good to know it's another kid on the team willing to step up when his number is called.  Our leading rusher been out since our last regular season game and our leading WR didn't play in the 3rd matchup against Jones Senior.  Our backup Elijah Carmack have stepped up big for us the entire playoffs.  

#37 Speedster92

Speedster92

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 09:49 AM

Well Mitchell beat Cherokee by almost the exact score Murphy did, Mitchell beat Hayesville by almost the exact score Murphy did, Mitchell beat Hendersonville by about 20 and the game was really never in doubt and Murphy came from two tds down late to pull out the win, and both pretty much dominated Amdews with Murphy having a larger margin of victory. Both teams basically run the same offense, this all adds up to one helluva game. I doubted Mitchell last year against Walkerrown, not so this year. Mitchell by one or a little more.

#38 Speedster92

Speedster92

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 09:49 AM

Murphy by 7 or more

#39 Speedster92

Speedster92

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 09:50 AM

Murphy is way more athletic, you'll see next week. Ill be really surprised if its a good game. Murphy was up 35 to 0 on cherokee at halftime. It was tied at 14 halfway thru 2nd qtr in last nights game. Halfway thru the 3rd qtr cherokee fumbled on read option at 3rd yrd line. If that would have been touchdown it would be 28 to 21 halfway thru 3rd. Cherokee is a great team they just did dumb stuff snaps over qb, dropped interceptions, fumbles etc...im not football blind smart ass, i just seen entire game murphy vs swain and murphy looked way better than mitchell did last night. Definitely faster. I didnt see the powerful line on display that mitchell fans brag on, i saw 22 outrunning people and #4 catching passes and making plays. I just think murphy is on a whole nother level. Don't hate because i think your team is going to lose big . thats my opinion, we will see what happens. I might drive 4 and half hours to pull for murphy if mitchell fans keep callin me football blind. I know alleghany football is garbage most years, but im still a fan and support them.

#40 Speedster92

Speedster92

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 09:57 AM

Well let's not start this more athletic stuff on this,. I may be a ol bulldog,. I went watched Mitchell against Andrews,. I think there a good team. I will say have you actually watched Murphy. I do feel Murphy will come out ahead,. But not by great portion of margin like that,. First off I never watched mic I felt Murphy was better by 28 or more points,. Friday showed me if you have never watched another team don't assume anything,. Mic was a legit team noatter all the bull crap talk. So if you say you don't want to come watch game, that's up to you. I feel it will be a great game as well

#41 Speedster92

Speedster92

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 10:34 AM

All this means nothing really, I just like to crunch numbers, so here's all the variables for this matchup.
Per Simmons ratings:

Murphy state rank, 131, 1a rank, 5, SOS 30
Mitchell state rank, 136, 1a rank, 6, SOS 24

Per MaxPreps:

Murphy state rank, 122, 1a rank, 6
Mitchell state rank, 121, 1a rank, 5

Murphy has averaged 39.5 ppg
Mitchell has averaged 39.25ppg

Murphy has allowed 11.1 ppg
Mitchell has allowed 12.1 ppg

They have played 4 common opponents;
Andrews
Hayesville
Cherokee (Mitchell twice)
Hendersonville

Mitchell won these games:

Andrews 34-7
Cherokee 21-0
Hendersonville 35-22
Hayesville 58-7
Cherokee 45-14
Average Cherokee score 33-7

Murphy won these games:
Andrews 48-0
Cherokee 42-13
Hendersonville 21-17
Hayesville 55-0

Both lost to a 2a regional powerhouse (Franklin and Mountain Heritage)

Factoring all this in, with SOS, rankings, and common opponents, I come up with a final score of:

Murphy 27.3472
Mitchell 27.33333

Lol this one will be epic

#42 Speedster92

Speedster92

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 10:40 AM

I agree all that means nothing,. You can go in scores,. Because how was weather at each game when both played same opponent,. Example Hendersonville v murphy , it was raining for days before game and on game day, as I stood at field you could see 2-3 inches of water across the entire field,. It was not Murphy's best performance that game and I'd say not Hendersonville best,. Now I wasn't at. Mitchell v Hendersonville game ,. So did this game get played in the same weather and atmosphere,. So this was just an example of you can't go on scores to compare two teams,

#43 rocketman

rocketman

Established Member

• Members
  • 953 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 10:56 AM

I have seen both teams play, watch mit play MH, Mad and  Hendo, watch Murphy against Hendo.  Should be really good game, give Mitchell small edge on the line, and a edge at QB. Murphy has more team speed, their defense is stronger better linebackers. Both teams are well coach even. For Mitchell to win this game someone beside  Young will have  to have a big game, Murphy will contain him. Look for a hard fought game Murphy 28 -21

#44 murphy1981

murphy1981

JV Team

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 01:18 PM

Gonna be chilly. Kickoff temp around 25 degrees. Dress warm and HOW BOUT THEM DOGS.

#45 Mitchell county mountie

Mitchell county mountie

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 3,545 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 01:37 PM

Weather will not be a factor.

#46 uncgrad1998

uncgrad1998

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 04:27 PM

I'm not afraid to admit it.  Even as a Murphy player I hated playing in the cold.  I'm sure there are probably players on both teams that feel the same way I felt playing in the cold.  It sucked!

Murphy Bulldogs
NC 2A State Champs: 1974
NC 1A State Champs: 1986, 1987, 1991, 1996, 2011, 2013, 2016
NC 2A Western State Champs: 1970
Western Region Champs: 1974, 1986, 1987, 1991, 1994, 1996, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2016
Smoky Mountain Conference Champs: 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1975, 1978, 1985, 1986, 1991, 1992, 1994, 1996, 2001, 2002, 2005, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2016, 2017

#47 Bleed purple for life

Bleed purple for life

Established Member

• Members
  • 579 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 10:22 PM

last week Mitchell had 2 lineman in nothing but uniform and I know atleast 1 will be in nothing but that Friday at Murphy 

#48 Cold Biscuit

Cold Biscuit

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 260 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 11:18 PM

Weather will not be a factor.

I don't see this being an issue for either team. They've both played in cold games.

#49 mitchaneers

mitchaneers

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 12:59 AM

Only thing worries me about the cold for this one is how it effects the crowd, Mitchell normally brings massive overflow crowds to away games, but it will be tough to get a lot of people that ain't diehards to drive 3 and a half hours when they are seeing it forecast to be a high of 25 and lows in the single digits in Mitchell County friday. Also hope school don't get cancelled for snow here Friday as we are supposed to have snow showers Thursday into Friday morning, seems like the kids always play like crap if there is no school or its homecoming.

Regardless I will be one of the dummies setting in the stands with temps in the teens knowing I will be sick the next morning because of it. My gut tells me Murphy by a touchdown or so due to homefield, you don't win 20 straight home playoff games at home by luck. I know Mitchell won by a lot Friday, but if the same team shows up that played against Cherokee I think we lose by a couple scores, I felt like it was maybe our worse game of the season. Mitchell rolled up like 550 yards of offense and out gained Cherokee by 200 or so but they just seemed out of sync all night with lots of penalties, fumbling, defense was on its heels at times, and we struggled to run it up the middle a lot of the night, with that being said Cherokee did seem much improved from earlier in the season.

Looking forward to catching a game at Murphy as its one of the few stadiums in the mountains I've never caught a game at, and a town I've only been to once in my life. We have a lot of respect for yalls program and strive to build something like yall have had going for many decades down there, just hope we can continue to be a steady program that makes deep runs year in and year out.

#50 Knights

Knights

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 3,140 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 05:54 AM

Well Mitchell better get a football title this year because a wrestling title might not happen this yr. Go Knights.

JeffChapman-Dynamic