• Please log in to reply
429 replies to this topic

#1 Mitchell county mountie

Mitchell county mountie

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 10:54 PM

Let's get it going. I won't give a prediction yet, but Itthink Mitchell is a td better. Give Murphy a td for home field, soooooo...

#2 MHS88

MHS88

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 11:03 PM

After tonights game, we need a day or so to gather ourselves. lol

#3 aggiern

aggiern

JV Team

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 11:06 PM

I'm sure there will be plenty of Mitchell fans there. They brought the whole county to Winston Salem last year for the state championship.

#4 KW23

KW23

Established Member

• Members
  • 536 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 11:06 PM

Murphy by 21

#5 GoodKNIGHT

GoodKNIGHT

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 11:13 PM

Murphy by 21

Lol

#6 SMCdogfan

SMCdogfan

Established Member

• Members
  • 641 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 11:14 PM

2 teams with similar styles this has been 2 of the best teams in the West all season. I think it's going to come down to who has the ball last. Safe travels guys
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#7 Yates357

Yates357

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 11:16 PM

Mitchell's defense needs to show up to the Murphy game. We let a lot of big plays go against us, which is unusual. Definitely can't let that happen next week. Murphy is one of the most recognized 1a programs in the state, and I have much respect for them. Pulling for Mitchell but either way I believe the rings are going to one of these two teams. Good luck to both.

#8 Bonecollector

Bonecollector

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 323 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 11:17 PM

Either way at least a legit team will represent the West. As much as I wanted Mitchell to be at home next week, I'm glad Murphy won.

#9 redy4friday

redy4friday

• Members
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 11:59 PM

I hope there is a big crowd for Mitchell next week but judging by the last 3 home games there won't be many. Disappointed by the home crowd for playoffs and especially 3rd round tonight.

#10 NC nole fan

NC nole fan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 278 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 12:13 AM

I hope there is a big crowd for Mitchell next week but judging by the last 3 home games there won't be many. Disappointed by the home crowd for playoffs and especially 3rd round tonight.

I thought the crowd was pretty big tonight. Way bigger than the first two rounds. Even the MICS side had more people than I thought it would. I think the crowd will be even bigger next week. Fourth round and Mitchell coming to town (they will bring a bunch) equals a huge crowd next week at the Hill.

#11 Cold Biscuit

Cold Biscuit

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 12:17 AM

Murphy by 21. I may eat crow next week but I honestly don't think Mitchell would beat mics or Murphy.

#12 NC nole fan

NC nole fan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 278 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 12:34 AM

Murphy by 21. I may eat crow next week but I honestly don't think Mitchell would have beat mics or Murphy.

If Allen can go, I can see you being correct. If he can't, then I don't know.

#13 ThomasCrown97

ThomasCrown97

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 03:20 AM

Murphy by 21. I may eat crow next week but I honestly don't think Mitchell would have beat mics or Murphy.

Well, it sure looks like we are going to find out about one of those.

#14 MHS88

MHS88

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 07:20 AM

If Allen can go, I can see you being correct. If he can't, then I don't know.

Allen has played extremely well, but I thought Roberts did an excellent job filling in last night after Allens injury. He made a huge interception late in the 2nd qt after mic had drove deep into bulldog territory. That allowed Murphy to drive the field and score right before half. The score could have easily been flipped 21-14 mic instead of mhs at half. He also had 2 tds, one being the game winner. If Allen cant go fri, I believe Murphy will still be ok in the backfield.

#15 wncbowhunter

wncbowhunter

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 427 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 07:54 AM

Well here we are. The game almost everyone predicated to happen. First I would like to think Murphy for beating MIC. Even though I would have rather played at home next week, if Mitchell were to advance I would rather play a traditional power.

I am sure there will be alot of chest beating this week but it is a great accomplishment for the kids and staff of both teams to reach this point. This is another opportunity for Mitchell to gain some respect and another opportunity for Murphy to add to their count of title games. Both teams play similar styles and should be an interesting matchup.

I think Murphy holds the edge with their defense and home field. I will give Mitchell the edge on the line. No disrespect toward Murphys line but this has been a strong point for Mitchell the past couple of years. It is early to be making predictions and how do you pick against Coach Gentry, Murphy and the SMC in this game as they are the standard. I may change my mind but, oh what the heck, I'm still a mountaineer.

Murphy 21
Mitchell 24

Go Mountaineers

#16 NC nole fan

NC nole fan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 278 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 10:35 AM

Allen has played extremely well, but I thought Roberts did an excellent job filling in last night after Allens injury. He made a huge interception late in the 2nd qt after mic had drove deep into bulldog territory. That allowed Murphy to drive the field and score right before half. The score could have easily been flipped 21-14 mic instead of mhs at half. He also had 2 tds, one being the game winner. If Allen cant go fri, I believe Murphy will still be ok in the backfield.

You're right. Roberts did very well last night, and Murphy should be fine without Allen. I just hope nobody else in the backfield goes down. If Roberts goes down, don't know who they would replace him with at this point.

#17 ObserveAndReport

ObserveAndReport

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 202 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 10:55 AM

I thought the crowd was pretty big tonight. Way bigger than the first two rounds. Even the MICS side had more people than I thought it would. I think the crowd will be even bigger next week. Fourth round and Mitchell coming to town (they will bring a bunch) equals a huge crowd next week at the Hill.

I think I would call the MIC side the Andrews side last night...

It was a little small of a crowd for a third round game, but not awful.  I was hoping for a crowd more like Hendo-Murphy third round game in 08, and it was nothing like that, but there were plenty of folks there.  I guess you also have to account for the fact that a lot of the great third-round playoff games are Thanksgiving week when a lot of people are home, and this wasn't because of the week delay.

#18 NC nole fan

NC nole fan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 278 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 12:46 PM

On a neutral field, I think this game would be a toss up. Having said that, Murphy, playing at home, probably wins by seven or less. Can't wait! Should be a great one!

#19 Mitchell county mountie

Mitchell county mountie

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 12:48 PM

Did Murphy pass alot last night? Also, how did they defend the pass?

#20 ObserveAndReport

ObserveAndReport

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 202 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 12:54 PM

Did Murphy pass alot last night? Also, how did they defend the pass?

Didn't pass a ton.  QB was 5-9 for 62 yards...and probably half of that yardage was on one big play late.  Mostly pounded away.  Ran for 400 yards spread out pretty good between like 5 different backs.

As for pass defense, Murphy had two picks (though one was on kind of a deep prayer at halftime buzzer) and some good pressure, but Mountain Island also just flat out missed on some throws that would have been huge gains.

#21 Mitchell county mountie

Mitchell county mountie

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 01:04 PM

Good to know, thanks. It will be interesting to see coach Pitmans game plan against Gentry's. Both defenses cover the pass well and the run. I don't see Brody making big gains on short passes in this one. Maybe long bombs. Alex is very hard to bring down, he's usually good for 10 yards each reception. The Ben and Ben train will be trucking up the gut and to the outside I'm sure. Other than allen, who carries the ball for Murphy?

#22 NC nole fan

NC nole fan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 278 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 01:14 PM

Good to know, thanks. It will be interesting to see coach Pitmans game plan against Gentry's. Both defenses cover the pass well and the run. I don't see Brody making big gains on short passes in this one. Maybe long bombs. Alex is very hard to bring down, he's usually good for 10 yards each reception. The Ben and Ben train will be trucking up the gut and to the outside I'm sure. Other than allen, who carries the ball for Murphy?

Creelman, McRae, Roberts, and McTaggert. The QB (Curry) can also run it very well. You probably won't see him in this game, but Murphy has a freshman RB (Murray) that is going to be special!

#23 Mitchell county mountie

Mitchell county mountie

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 01:31 PM

Do they all see regular rotation? That's a good stable of backs right there.

#24 NC nole fan

NC nole fan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 278 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 01:36 PM

Do they all see regular rotation? That's a good stable of backs right there.

Yes. All except the freshman. When Allen is healthy Roberts gets less carries. This is gonna be a good old fashioned slobber knocker! I could see either team winning.

#25 12thMAN

12thMAN

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 02:32 PM

It should Be another good game at the hill Friday. Both teams are good up Front . Murphy By 7

JeffChapman-Dynamic