Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo
- - - - -

Bartlett Yancey head coach David Weathersby steps down.

Coaching Jobs

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 17,695 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 02:58 PM

After two seasons leading the Buccaneers, David Weathersby has stepped down at Bartlett Yancey.  He compiled a very impressive 10-12 record, the best coaching mark of any B-Y coach since Kin Watlington back in the mid 1990's who went 18-46. 

I have a very good feeling we'll be seeing Weathersby's name surface in the coming weeks for a much higher profile job, he's certainly earned those opportunities. 

Weathersby-David-Mug.jpg

#2 rambbq

rambbq

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 353 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 03:55 PM

the merry-go-round continues at B-Y..................they've had more coaches the last 50 years than Carter has liver pills....................

#3 titanman27

titanman27

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 446 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 04:41 PM

Bartlett Yancey is the closest NC high school to me, I plan on checking them out next season

#4 Slashman

Slashman

Established Member

• Members
  • 487 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 02:46 AM

I hate it for him; he worked his butt off so hard for that program he deserved more wins this year. Can't help it sometimes though. They had a real good RB who carried their wing but he got hurt around when they started conference and it killed their momentum. That loss to J Matthews cost them a playoff spot. Scrimmaged JM and seen Bartlett on film BY was the better team; take that injury and lost momentum away they could have won 7 or 8 this year. He had a good run though; 5 wins is great for BY he also won Coach of the Year for that area out of a newspaper which is a big deal.

Hopefully the new guy in charge has the same success; it's time for Bartlett to have a run of at least 5 wins a year. Always felt for that program. This wouldn't be a bad spot for a veteran coach who's had success. The kids are out more and into it that would be a +. I would say someone like Jonathan Frasher would be a good fit for it but I think he'd rather stay around here at East Forsyth for a little while.

As for Weathersby Western Harnett's open and he worked there before; wouldn't be surprised if he'd consider that job.

#5 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 17,695 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 07:16 AM

Weathersby will land somewhere much better than Western Harnett.

#6 warrior1

warrior1

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 07:30 AM

Bunn?

#7 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 17,695 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 07:41 AM

There's several good jobs open in the Wake Co. area that he's from.

#8 tarheelg61581

tarheelg61581

JV Team

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 11:10 AM

I see he landed at Bunn, but where was he before going to Bartlett Yancey?  

#9 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 17,695 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 01:14 PM

It was Bunn from the start, I just couldn't announce it then.

#10 TheMule

TheMule

JV Team

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 03:23 PM

It was Bunn from the start, I just couldn't announce it then.

Look for Bunn to be much improved with David at the helm.

#11 Reeducator

Reeducator

Freshman Team

• Coach
  • 20 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 10:35 AM

David was at SE Raleigh before BY.  Bunn has been good for quite sometime. Played for a state title last season. He's just gotta keep that train moving. Runs a system similar to what they were already running. Should be a good fit. I know David personally, he's a great guy. 

#12 coach93

coach93

Freshman Team

• Coach
  • 23 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 02:44 PM

Look for Bunn to be much improved with David at the helm.

Much improved??? please explain this you clearly commented before you researched Bunn. (I call them Bum b/c I'm from Franklinton the right side of Franklin County)

#13 TheMule

TheMule

JV Team

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 06:10 PM

Much improved??? please explain this you clearly commented before you researched Bunn. (I call them Bum b/c I'm from Franklinton the right side of Franklin County)

Much improved as in making a serious run at a State Championship.

#14 coach93

coach93

Freshman Team

• Coach
  • 23 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 08:05 PM

Much improved as in making a serious run at a State Championship.

#15 coach93

coach93

Freshman Team

• Coach
  • 23 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 08:06 PM

You mean like they did last year when they lost to Monroe in the state championship game????

#16 kms51

kms51

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 431 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 08:16 PM

You mean like they did last year when they lost to Monroe in the state championship game????

Maybe he means on a continual basis. Bunn isn't a bad program, but not elite either. 

#17 Dawg Dynasty

Dawg Dynasty

Varsity Team

• Coach
  • 204 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 09:17 PM

Maybe he means on a continual basis. Bunn isn't a bad program, but not elite either.

What is your definition of elite??? You might want to look at Chris Hughes' database. He has every record of every team and coach. Since obviously you haven't I will tell you a little bit about Bunn. Coach howle got there at HC in 1988 and has been there since others then a 4 year stretch when he took time and watched his son play football at Penn St. During his duration they have had a total of 2 losing seasons, on the field, since 1988 and one of those was his first year and the other was a 5-6 year about 3 years later. During that same time they have had 12 season where they had double digit wins for the year and many other 8 or 9 win season. They did go 0-13 official but 10-3 on the field when coach Miller was there in between Coach Howle's two stints.
They went to the state title last year as well. I personally think Coach Howle is one of the beat around to do what he has done with consistency. He is also a very fine man off the field as well.

I wish coach Weathersby the best of luck at Bunn and Coach Howle an enjoyable retirement

#18 kms51

kms51

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 431 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 10:07 PM

What is your definition of elite??? You might want to look at Chris Hughes' database. He has every record of every team and coach. Since obviously you haven't I will tell you a little bit about Bunn. Coach howle got there at HC in 1988 and has been there since others then a 4 year stretch when he took time and watched his son play football at Penn St. During his duration they have had a total of 2 losing seasons, on the field, since 1988 and one of those was his first year and the other was a 5-6 year about 3 years later. During that same time they have had 12 season where they had double digit wins for the year and many other 8 or 9 win season. They did go 0-13 official but 10-3 on the field when coach Miller was there in between Coach Howle's two stints.
They went to the state title last year as well. I personally think Coach Howle is one of the beat around to do what he has done with consistency. He is also a very fine man off the field as well.

I wish coach Weathersby the best of luck at Bunn and Coach Howle an enjoyable retirement

I'm sorry I don't think bunn is elite. Good program yes. When I think elite I think a Shelby or reidsville.

#19 Dawg Dynasty

Dawg Dynasty

Varsity Team

• Coach
  • 204 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 10:45 PM

I don't disagree that reidsville or Shelby are elite. But even if you don't have state titles, which is a tough thing to do and lot of luck has to be involved, I still think you can be elite. Being consistently in the 3rd round, multiple 10 win seasons, and having the same HC over that time by my definition would make you elite by my definition

#20 Reeducator

Reeducator

Freshman Team

• Coach
  • 20 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 11:04 PM

Having been in the area a long time, I agree Bunn is not at a level of Shelby or A Reidsville, but few are. Bunn is consistently good and given a player here and there, can be a state level contender every season. It ain't no Ferrari, but it's a really nice Mercedes :)

#21 Slashman

Slashman

Established Member

• Members
  • 487 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 11:10 PM

Good step up for Weathersby in my book. Bunn's a solid program for what they are; not every school in NC can be at the Shelby or Monroe level every year but Bunn's a respectable program. They will not drop off. 

I feel for Bartlett Yancy though. They finally got to be improved and contend a little for once and he left after not very long. I don't know much about BY; maybe they had no talent coming up but I feel for them. Hopefully his replacement will continue the upward swing.

#22 coach93

coach93

Freshman Team

• Coach
  • 23 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 08:15 AM

I agree Bunn also isn't set up the way Shelby or Reidsville is therefore you are comparing apples to oranges.  Bunn has done more with less talent but they've always had tough nose kids.  it is a good solid program and I wish him the best except when he plays Franklinton I hope for murphy's law to come into effect for Bum.  But for what the school is I think you can consider them elite.  I was just pointing out the fact that people should research before saying "Much Improved" like they were a group of scrubs they weren't slouches and he has huge shoes to fill.  Good Luck I hope he wins over the community with hints of his own style because they're going to be tough on him.

#23 Reeducator

Reeducator

Freshman Team

• Coach
  • 20 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 09:05 AM

As Bunn is a place where you can be successful, BY is one of the places that obstacles are so plentiful where its almost impossible to be good.  The people of Vanceyville are great and really want a winner, but there are numerous things that make it hard to do.

Very hard to hire coaches as Caswell county pays NO local teacher supplement, lack of solid facilities (no real practice field and limited equipment), and for a long time, administration that was openly vocal against football. (That lady was fired and arrested for embezzlement and theft consequently).

There have been some good coaches to come and go through BY, but it is very well known in the coaching circles as a place to "get your first HC job on move on". I distinctly remember a fellow coach referring to BY as " A place coaches go to die". 

Weathersby did at BY what has not been able to be done in 25 years, Go to the playoffs. Any coach deserves a reward for doing that with the obstacles he faced there. Bunn made a great hire.

#24 TheMule

TheMule

JV Team

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 11:45 AM

I mean actually WINNING a State Championship,

#25 coach93

coach93

Freshman Team

• Coach
  • 23 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 01:05 PM

As Bunn is a place where you can be successful, BY is one of the places that obstacles are so plentiful where its almost impossible to be good.  The people of Vanceyville are great and really want a winner, but there are numerous things that make it hard to do.

Very hard to hire coaches as Caswell county pays NO local teacher supplement, lack of solid facilities (no real practice field and limited equipment), and for a long time, administration that was openly vocal against football. (That lady was fired and arrested for embezzlement and theft consequently).

There have been some good coaches to come and go through BY, but it is very well known in the coaching circles as a place to "get your first HC job on move on". I distinctly remember a fellow coach referring to BY as " A place coaches go to die". 

Weathersby did at BY what has not been able to be done in 25 years, Go to the playoffs. Any coach deserves a reward for doing that with the obstacles he faced there. Bunn made a great hire.

I agree

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Coaching Jobs

JeffChapman-Dynamic