Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo

Wrestling Forum?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 979 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 09:24 AM

Any chance a wrestling forum could be added to the site? Wrestling gets very little exposure and could use a boost. They tried to take it out of the Olympics a few years back and seems to be on the college cutting block for many schools. North Carolina needs a good avenue for high school wrestling accomplishments.

#2 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 17,696 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 09:32 AM

I would love a wrestling forum, but I would need a subject matter expert on wrestling to take the lead and help provide wrestling coverage and get coaches on board to help produce some information.  If you know that person, or want to volunteer, shoot me a message.  

#3 FHS1985

FHS1985

Established Member

• Members
  • 861 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 03:32 PM

Chris-is it acceptable to ask how many football coaches post here?  The reason I ask is that one good way for a forum for any minor sport to take off would be for coaches to post and talk about their teams and/or their kids.  I know that the primary focus of Carolina Preps is football and that there is a separate coaches forum for a reason, but most of us don't pay much attention to who is or isn't a coach if they post on the main message boards (if they do).

Wrestling, baseball, lacrosse, whatever-can be fun to talk about and I know that several programs around the state have a big following (Mitchell for instance, which has a lot of football fans that post here), but someone has to get the ball rolling and I'm not sure fans know much about the sport other than their teams.  I realize that posting on a message board can be a minefield for a coach because you definitely don't want to end up on some other team's bulletin board, but they know a lot about other teams and kids from going to meets.  That might be the key to getting something like this going.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.”

― C.S. Lewis

#4 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 17,696 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 03:34 PM

Football wise, I would say that about two-thirds of the coaches read and follow what we're doing, as for the amount that actual posts?  I would say about 25% (maybe). 

#5 Knights

Knights

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,382 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 09:32 AM

I can post some SMC stuff but I don't get to go see alot of wrestling. Try to make a few this year. Rville should be picked to win SMC this yr.

#6 Knights

Knights

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,382 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 09:33 AM

Anyone know a NC wrestling site? I forgot the one I used last yr.

#7 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,071 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 03:13 PM

Think Chris has something set up to get it going here.

#8 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 17,696 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 06:41 PM

GDG is our new wrestling analyst. He and I have spoken and he'll do a tremendous job, he's been connected to wrestling in our state for a long time.

#9 Knights

Knights

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,382 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 06:18 AM

Good to hear

#10 Knights

Knights

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,382 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 10:05 PM

Robbinsville finished 5th at Enka and 2nd at Neo Knight. Those are two of the toughest tourneys in WNC. Impressive finishes for a 1a school.

#11 Knights

Knights

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,382 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 02:50 PM

We had a few out sick at Neo. Think we win it if everyone was able to wrestle. Glad we're flying under radar.

#12 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 979 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 09:44 PM

I'm planning to attending three of the larger tournaments over the school holiday break. I will be at the Tigerland (Fred T Foard) and Benson (East Burke) for certain. I should see quite few of the contenders in the 1A-4A west.

#13 Knights

Knights

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,382 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 12:50 PM

After 10 years of winning the SMC the Black Knights had two bad seasons. After they beat Swain this week we should once again win the SMC. Hope we can go on another decade run and maybe win a state title.

#14 Knights

Knights

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,382 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 12:52 PM

I think Mitchell is the favorite but we might pull it out.

#15 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 979 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 05:42 AM

I think Mitchell is the favorite but we might pull it out.

You're probably correct. I think there are a couple holes to fill that Mitchell covers. It's crunch time for conferences. Win or stay home.

#16 FHS1985

FHS1985

Established Member

• Members
  • 861 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 10:21 AM

I was heartened to see that Freedom kept it close against a traditionally strong St. Stephens team, losing 39-33. Swing a match or two in the Patriots favor and they may have pulled off the win. I expect some of our kids to do well in the state tournament.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.”

― C.S. Lewis

#17 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 979 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 12:40 PM

Freedom has all the athletes to be a top four 3A team in the state. From what I've seen in the past is they need to raise the level of instruction and get kids involved off season. Only losing by 3 to Saint is very good this year.

#18 Bonecollector

Bonecollector

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 323 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 06:30 PM

Mitchell seems to be improving. They took first place in the Highlander Duels in SC. They should contend, but Ribbinsville looks to be the team to
beat in the West 1A.

#19 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 979 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 09:54 AM

I was heartened to see that Freedom kept it close against a traditionally strong St. Stephens team, losing 39-33. Swing a match or two in the Patriots favor and they may have pulled off the win. I expect some of our kids to do well in the state tournament.

Spenser Leonhardt for Freedom is 43-1 last I checked. Placed third at state individuals. I think St. Stephens is a top eight school in 3A but the west is overall very strong. Enka and Foard make it difficult to get out of the second round. Foard goes 2A next year which should provide a better path for Freedom as a conference champ or wild card.

#20 FHS1985

FHS1985

Established Member

• Members
  • 861 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 10:06 AM

Spenser Leonhardt for Freedom is 43-1 last I checked. Placed third at state individuals. I think St. Stephens is a top eight school in 3A but the west is overall very strong. Enka and Foard make it difficult to get out of the second round. Foard goes 2A next year which should provide a better path for Freedom as a conference champ or wild card.

Interesting.  I was looking at the individual match results in the Hickory paper and I saw a kid named Beach wrestling in one of the lower weight classes for FHS.  I went to school with a Beach who also wrestled one of the lower weight classes and I wonder if that is his son.  I wish they would offset wrestling matches for a different night than opposite hoops (i.e. one school hosts one sport while the other school hosts the other), but I understand why they do.  Maybe I will try to go see them when the duals start.

― C.S. Lewis

#21 FHS1985

FHS1985

Established Member

• Members
  • 861 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 12:07 PM

I was looking at the wrestling boxscores in the Hickory paper over the last couple of weeks and I saw a couple of scores that bothered me-in a couple of different matches both Watauga and Draughn were shut out-with more than half of the losses being forfeits and the rest pins.  Draughn had maybe four wrestlers who contested a match and I think Watauga had about six.  Now, Draughn is a fairly small school (though a lot bigger than many that wrestle competitively), but Watauga has plenty of kids.  So, I am wondering if those schools have just not fostered a wrestling culture at their schools or what else might be wrong with their programs?

― C.S. Lewis

#22 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 979 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 05:20 PM

No excuse for Watauga not to field a highly competitive team. They are in wrestling country with App State wrestling in the same town. Demetrius Kosta came from Watauaga High and wrestles for App State. Not sure if they have the right person leading that program considering past success and the present results.

Draughn had an early bit of wrestling growth when the school first opened. Then about five years ago there was a hazing incident that set the program back a great deal. Incident happened on the bus with the coach getting disciplined and about a third of the team dismissed. Haven't seen improvement since. That did have a superstar wrestler named Abee the last three prior years.

JeffChapman-Dynamic