• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Rick Harrington

Rick Harrington

CP Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 3,115 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 06:27 AM

Some idiot parents in Mooresville have instituted a Title IX lawsuit against the Mooreville Grades School District basically because of a softball field, or lack of.  The expansion program at the high school took the old baseball facility away to make room for a new gym and performing art center.  The baseball field was relocated to an area that was a parking lot and tennis courts.  Softball has been played, for some time, on a regulation softball field located at Mooresville Middle School, located about 2 miles from the MHS Campus.  This facility also has an 8 lane track, baseball field, footballs field & soccer field.  It seems they are upset because the softball field is not located on the main HS campus.  The problem is there is just not enough dirt.  The excess acerage will be turned in to parking, replacing what has been lost to new construction.  Just another way to cost taxpayers more money.  I wonder why lawyers are so hated.

#2 Paul Graham

Paul Graham

Correspondent

• Admin Team
  • 3,138 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 09:00 AM

They have absolutely no precedent in this suit. Both boys and girls sports are played on fields not located on the HS campus all across NC. more of the easily offended getting all tore up over something they don't understand. Thow it out, judge!

P.R. Graham

SMC

The standard in 1A since 1969

26 state titles in 35 apperances

22 consecutive finals appearances

SMC 1A/2A 32 state titles

#3 FHS1985

FHS1985

Established Member

• Members
  • 767 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 02:52 PM

I agree with Paul. For years our softball team played on city park fields off campus (they have an on campus field now). Lacrosse and soccer both play off campus-to say nothing of swimming. This is a frivolous suit that should be summarily dismissed.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.”

― C.S. Lewis

#4 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 17,591 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 02:58 PM

From what I've been able to see of the overall Mooresville athletic department, they've gone above and beyond in trying to provide for all athletic programs, regardless of whether or not they are an income generating sport or not.  This has the appearance of some angry parents who are just upset that the baseball team got a new field and they didn't.  

I have no doubt in my mind, whatsoever, that if Mooresville HS and the Mooresville Graded School District could have all the sports housed on the same campus, they would certainly do so.  It's just unfortunate that they're landlocked and just don't have the available space at the school. 

#5 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 17,591 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 03:00 PM

Of course, in addition to my previous post, this is just a snapshot of the world we live in today.  We're such a litigious society now that if we don't get our way, we bring forth a lawsuit.  It's sad to be quite honest, but it's just the world we live in.  It's a byproduct of the "everyone wins and everyone gets a trophy" system that our elementary schools and their principals have created. 

#6 Rick Harrington

Rick Harrington

CP Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 3,115 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 04:01 PM

Another venue had a parent saying the girls had to supply their own equipment.  If memory serves me correctly, I purchased gloves, shoes, sliding pads, cups & bats for my son when he played.  They are also complaining about the new baseball facility.  They were not complaining when baseball was being played at a facility that was build ab out the time Noah built the arc.

#7 FB-Trap

FB-Trap

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 04:45 PM

These are prob the same types of people that sue fast food resturants becuse their coffee was too hot. 

#8 Rick Harrington

Rick Harrington

CP Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 3,115 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 05:22 PM

I personally know one of the plaintiffs.  He is a little off-the-wall. (I'm being kind)

#9 Jacks0814

Jacks0814

Rookie

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 05:09 PM

I think we should be more informed on this board.

The baseball field was multipurpose (football/band/baseball) before they made the new one. That's not a benefit of the new field. However, the new expansion did not even consider moving a softball field closer? It remains with the middle school, where it has been since the 2000s. All this time and it hasn't been helped any? Students drive themselves (paying for gas) because the bus assigned to take them wasn't clearly provided and there's no room for some of the bigger ball bags anyway. During last season the girls weren't even allowed in the Middle School to change before practice. But hey, they don't need the locker rooms everyone else can use at the high school fields, just a bathroom would've been sufficient.

As far as the 'equipment' not provided, please don't assume that you are the only ones who can think that through. The issues actually brought up included a field not properly maintained, unsafe/improperly covered batting cages, and other equipment usually provided with a decent field. There was even the issue that a flag wasn't present on the field's flagpole before games.

As far as the issue being brought up now, why not? We should always feel free to address issues when they concern our youth and their educational opportunities. It would have been nice if the softball team had even been considered when they planned this EXPENSIVE expansion. I mean we adjust tennis and make them aware theirs is still in walking distance, but nothing to softball that hey we tried to see if we could fit you in and there's just not enough room. Not until after the players and parents brought it up at least, that's when they re-evaluated their plans.

Have you guys seen the amount of construction still needed at MHS? The cafeteria isn't ready in time for school so lunch is adjusted and some kids actually weren't fed for a day (at least that issue was properly handled). But they had an impressive (costly) baseball field ready before end of season last year! Why couldn't baseball use an off-campus field (Moor Park) for a little longer while we get some other things done first. I mean no one has a problem with off-campus fields right?

I don't know about you all but I'm at least concerned about the children in this situation more than I am my taxpayer money. Have you even talked to how these players felt when they saw this? I am not a parent by the way, but I am a MHS fan and graduate. I just think there was an issue in this situation and the school hasn't even admitted it was an oversight.

#10 Jacks0814

Jacks0814

Rookie

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 05:16 PM

Oh and lastly. The parents in question didn't just say hey we didn't get what we wanted let's sue. They observed what happened. The team got a petition together that other town citizens and even opponent teams and fans signed. There were at least 2 meetings (I'm aware of) with the school district members to amicably discuss the situation. Then, the parents stepped further after 5 months when they weren't comfortable with how it was addressed.

JeffChapman-Dynamic