Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo
- - - - -

Respect

Announcement

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#51 Heritage 84

Heritage 84

Established Member

• Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 02:26 PM

Let's not leave out the baby that was shot to death beside his mom, in his stroller because she did not have any money when 2 armed robbers approached her in her own neighborhood. Of course that got very little main stream media coverage, as does thousands of other crimes per day. I guess the mother thought she was in her "area of refuge" taking her baby for an evening stroll. But you are not going to see me refusing to stand for the flag, national anthem and country which defends the very right that I have to attend high school football games, to watch family and friends children get to play a sport they love so dearly. I'm fine if someone wishes to take out an ad in a newspaper/magazine, march with a banner, donate any of their extra money or millions of other ways to protest something, but do not dishonor the country in which we live or the people that defend the very rights that we have everyday. If there is a country that offers more freedom and a better security blanket for their family than ours, then someone should do everything in their power to move there. No one could ever hold that against anyone. Makes me thankful for small mountain communities where we all stand side by side for the most part and respect each other.   

RESPECT THE FLAG!!!!!

#52 FHS1985

FHS1985

Established Member

• Members
  • 938 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 02:32 PM

Thats a pretty easy statement to make when you are not the subject of the oppression.

As Creekprogram mentioned earlier, the question of oppression is open to regional and cultural interpretation (and there are probably other aspects that we haven't mentioned).  All I can do is discuss it as honestly as I can, if you're saying I can't even be part of the discussion (or only have a certain opinion) because I don't share your experience, then I don't see how we can talk at all.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.”

― C.S. Lewis

#53 Wrigley

Wrigley

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,452 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 02:33 PM

Let's not leave out the baby that was shot to death beside his mom, in his stroller because she did not have any money when 2 armed robbers approached her in her own neighborhood. Of course that got very little main stream media coverage, as does thousands of other crimes per day. I guess the mother thought she was in her "area of refuge" taking her baby for an evening stroll. But you are not going to see me refusing to stand for the flag, national anthem and country which defends the very right that I have to attend high school football games, to watch family and friends children get to play a sport they love so dearly. I'm fine if someone wishes to take out an ad in a newspaper/magazine, march with a banner, donate any of their extra money or millions of other ways to protest something, but do not dishonor the country in which we live or the people that defend the very rights that we have everyday. If there is a country that offers more freedom and a better security blanket for their family than ours, then someone should do everything in their power to move there. No one could ever hold that against anyone. Makes me thankful for small mountain communities where we all stand side by side for the most part and respect each other.

RESPECT THE FLAG!!!!!

Ah yes, the what about Chicago arguement. Always articulated best by those people that live in the mountain communities . Those that have never lived there have zero idea and understanding of the complexity of that issue. Hundreds of years of poor decisions and oppression have contributed to that problem.

#54 work7

work7

Established Member

• Members
  • 993 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 02:34 PM

RESPECT THE FLAG!!!!!

What and the Hell does that statement have to do with anything? People have different views than you. That's what you should respect.

#55 Wrigley

Wrigley

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,452 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 02:40 PM

As Creekprogram mentioned earlier, the question of oppression is open to regional and cultural interpretation (and there are probably other aspects that we haven't mentioned). All I can do is discuss it as honestly as I can, if you're saying I can't even be part of the discussion (or only have a certain opinion) because I don't share your experience, then I don't see how we can talk at all.

I am absolutely not saying you cant be part of it. It seems though with your stance that you would prefer that discussion only at times that are convenient to you.

#56 FHS1985

FHS1985

Established Member

• Members
  • 938 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 02:45 PM

I am absolutely not saying you cant be part of it. It seems though with your stance that you would prefer that discussion only at times that are convenient to you.

I would prefer not to have the discussion at all times, I think there are times when we can set such discussions aside and enjoy ourselves.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.”

― C.S. Lewis

#57 Heritage 84

Heritage 84

Established Member

• Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 02:47 PM

This is definitely not a forum to discuss these issues. In fact I try to make sure my TV stays on sports channels, and just get aggravated when all the other issues bleed over into sports. Sports is my refuge. Hope everyone has a safe and successful game this week whether playing tonight or tomorrow night. Good luck to all teams the rest of the way.

#58 The Outcast

The Outcast

JV Team

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 02:53 PM

Here Is a link posted by DeAngelo Williams  You may have to read it twice to get it.  But it is a Cartoon. .It is relevant to discussion.  You should follow DeAngelo he is not afraid to speak his mind 

https://www.facebook...2290850/?type=3

#59 Wrigley

Wrigley

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,452 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 02:57 PM

This is definitely not a forum to discuss these issues. In fact I try to make sure my TV stays on sports channels, and just get aggravated when all the other issues bleed over into sports. Sports is my refuge. Hope everyone has a safe and successful game this week whether playing tonight or tomorrow night. Good luck to all teams the rest of the way.

Dont disagree with the forum part but its there and frankly i am a little suprised at how well its held up. Decent conversation by decent people. As far as the bleed over. Guess what, welcome to America. The issue is integrated into every aspect of our lives. Listen to a guy like Tony Dungy talk about racism and sports. Fascinating guy.

#60 Heritage 84

Heritage 84

Established Member

• Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 03:09 PM

Dont disagree with the forum part but its there and frankly i am a little suprised at how well its held up. Decent conversation by decent people. As far as the bleed over. Guess what, welcome to America. The issue is integrated into every aspect of our lives. Listen to a guy like Tony Dungy talk about racism and sports. Fascinating guy.

Definitely have much respect for Tony Dungy and what he has to offer. 

#61 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 17,770 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 03:35 PM

I don't have any issues with this discussion as you all have handled yourselves, or at least tried to handle yourselves with the utmost of respect, albeit with different viewpoints.  My view on this is unique as well since I, like a few of you have went overseas to fight for and defend this flag more than once.  

I will say this, to anyone wanting to boycott the NFL over this, I don't think the league or its TV partners will miss it because it's far and away the most popular thing going in this country with college football coming in a close second. 

If you don't mind, lets move this over to the OT so at least it doesn't get in the way of real high school football talk. 

#62 Madmanx2

Madmanx2

Established Member

• Members
  • 519 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 07:04 PM

Like they say Opinions are like azzholes" We all have one ..Its just some are bigger ones then others

#63 HHS2003

HHS2003

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 366 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 08:43 PM

Hang up the cleats kap and go wear a badge and show the world how to be a non oppressive policeman.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Announcement

JeffChapman-Dynamic