16 replies to this topic

#1 Slashman

Slashman

Established Member

• Members
  • 476 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 02:54 PM

http://espn.go.com/c...e-interim-coach

And it's someone we all know well in Jim Grobe.  Baylor made a great pick; he will have them on the straight and narrow road in a hurry.

Other choices included Mike Singletary and  their DC.

#2 Jim West

Jim West

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 9,401 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 03:07 PM

I agree that hiring Grobe on an interim basis is a step in the right direction.  However, can one man, even if it's Grobe, fix the alleged "culture problems" at Baylor on an interim basis?  Don't get me wrong....Jim Grobe is a fine man and has a strong moral compass, but with the interim tag, is he really part of the solution or is he some window dressing?

#3 ThrowItAround

ThrowItAround

Varsity Team

• Coach
  • 227 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 05:57 PM

I love the hire, but Jim make a great point.

#4 Slashman

Slashman

Established Member

• Members
  • 476 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 07:41 PM

Grobe always was a good character coach when he was at Wake. He will start improving things with the program right away by showing and proving that  stuff won't be allowed to continue. By moving in a total different direction from the last one is a huge step up in of itself. If they stayed with the DC it would have been a bad move but Grove or Singletary was strong moral choices to pick.

To be honest if Grobe does a good enough job he may get it permanently. Even if he does stay a year it's a good move for the program. Of course he isn't the main answer for the whole college but that's an improvement step. Getting rid of Starr was great too, he couldn't lead anything. It's gonna take a while but at least they fixed it theirselves and not waited for the NCAA.

That place is a mess but this is a good move.

#5 CatholicCougs14

CatholicCougs14

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 10:41 AM

Another woman came forward a few days ago and says she was raped/sexually assaulted by a current player. Funny how a university run by Kent Star who tried to impeach Clinton in 1998 is now the center of another sex scandal.

Anyways, Baylor needs to clean house, Starr has to go, along with everyone within the football program and all major faces in the administration area of the athletic department. Baylor's recruiting classes have already fallen apart, karma sucks. 

Charlotte Catholic Cougars

State Champions: 1977, 2004, 2005, 2015

22 Conference Championships

68 Playoff Wins

40+ Years of Excellence

Basketball:

State Champions: 2015

#6 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,027 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 10:51 AM

Starr has resigned from the chancellor position after bring remove as president.

The recruiting is only falling off because of the fear of the sanctions and oversight that is expected. The recruits could give a shiznit about it if thee were no issues for the program going forward.

#7 CatholicCougs14

CatholicCougs14

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 11:04 AM

Starr has resigned from the chancellor position after bring remove as president.

The recruiting is only falling off because of the fear of the sanctions and oversight that is expected. The recruits could give a shiznit about it if thee were no issues for the program going forward.

He is still a tenured law professor, sorry but he has to be removed from that too. 

68 Playoff Wins

40+ Years of Excellence

Basketball:

#8 Jim West

Jim West

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 9,401 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 11:10 AM

He is still a tenured law professor, sorry but he has to be removed from that too. 

I trust Starr as far as I can throw him.

#9 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,027 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 03:00 PM

I trust Starr as far as I can throw him.

Well that was before this fiasco so I guess it is even worse now.

#10 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,027 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 03:02 PM

Unless he resigns that may be a tough legal battle that Baylor's Board of Regents may not want to open up.  I am sure there has been a lot of communication between his and the schools representatives on his status.

#11 CatholicCougs14

CatholicCougs14

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 03:24 PM

Unless he resigns that may be a tough legal battle that Baylor's Board of Regents may not want to open up.  I am sure there has been a lot of communication between his and the schools representatives on his status.

I bet he resigns, the stigma will grow too large if more women come forward especially if anymore say they went to him and he did nothing. I know at least one girl did(she talked to ESPN) and said he did nothing. 

68 Playoff Wins

40+ Years of Excellence

Basketball:

#12 FHS1985

FHS1985

Established Member

• Members
  • 768 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 10:24 AM

1. Ken Starr was Solicitor General of the United States (essentially this means that he was responsible for arguing the government's case in USSC cases involving the Federal Government) and a Federal appellate court judge. If he wants a professorship at an American law school, that school would be only too happy to have him.

2. Bill Clinton was impeached (though later acquitted by the Senate) for perjury and obstruction of justice. Starr was appointed to investigate Clinton as an independent counsel by Janet Reno. Bill Clinton lost his law liscence for five years when he admitted to "conduct prejudicial to the administration of justice".

3. When these charges surfaced at Baylor, Starr resigned, though his personal culpability for whatever happened has yet to be shown-I note the contrast with Clinton refusing to do the same for any interested reader.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.”

― C.S. Lewis

#13 Jim West

Jim West

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 9,401 posts

Posted 12 June 2016 - 05:56 PM

1. Ken Starr was Solicitor General of the United States (essentially this means that he was responsible for arguing the government's case in USSC cases involving the Federal Government) and a Federal appellate court judge. If he wants a professorship at an American law school, that school would be only too happy to have him.

2. Bill Clinton was impeached (though later acquitted by the Senate) for perjury and obstruction of justice. Starr was appointed to investigate Clinton as an independent counsel by Janet Reno. Bill Clinton lost his law liscence for five years when he admitted to "conduct prejudicial to the administration of justice".

3. When these charges surfaced at Baylor, Starr resigned, though his personal culpability for whatever happened has yet to be shown-I note the contrast with Clinton refusing to do the same for any interested reader.

I think any comparison between Starr and Clinton would be unfair to both parties.  My comments regarding Starr had nothing at all to do with the Clinton scandal.  My problem is with how Starr tried to tamper with the Sarbanes-Oxley act that was passed in 2002.  His behavior would have cost us much more problems if he succeeded with his plans.  

#14 CatholicCougs14

CatholicCougs14

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 13 June 2016 - 08:40 AM

Board of Regents at Baylor is voting today to bring back Art Briles next year after a one year suspension, you know I honestly thought Baylor had learned, but I can see football still outweighs the moral of the story. Hopefully it's shot down. We'll see though, I don't have much faith in it being shot down

68 Playoff Wins

40+ Years of Excellence

Basketball:

#15 Jim West

Jim West

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 9,401 posts

Posted 13 June 2016 - 08:45 AM

From a football standpoint, I think this would be a disaster for Baylor.  I don't believe that Briles will have the ability to succeed at Baylor.  If i was a parent of a D1 recruit, I would not want my son to play at Baylor with Briles as HC.  It has the optics that Baylor and Briles are in bed with each other.  No pun intended.

#16 CatholicCougs14

CatholicCougs14

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 13 June 2016 - 08:53 AM

From a football standpoint, I think this would be a disaster for Baylor.  I don't believe that Briles will have the ability to succeed at Baylor.  If i was a parent of a D1 recruit, I would not want my son to play at Baylor with Briles as HC.  It has the optics that Baylor and Briles are in bed with each other.  No pun intended.

Their recruiting classes have fallen apart, now as Tango said earlier that is probably due to fear of NCAA sanctions, but after the NCAA curled back the Penn St sanctions I don't think they'll be terrible, but Briles cannot be allowed to coach at a university where for years he allowed this kind of culture to live.

Sorry but to me Baylor needs to fix the rape problem on their campus first before worrying about winning on the field, unless they see wins on the football field as more important than the safety of their students. Which wouldn't shock me considering it's Texas where it's 

1. God

2. Family

3. Football and sometimes Family and Football are reversed. 

68 Playoff Wins

40+ Years of Excellence

Basketball:

#17 Jim West

Jim West

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 9,401 posts

Posted 13 June 2016 - 09:07 AM

From a parental perspective, I think Baylor needs to clean house and fix the problems.  More chances than not, this is a systemic issue within Baylor's program much like North Carolina's scandal was a systemic issue.  There was a cultural issue that was not created by one person but with many people.

I look at Penn State quite differently.  Sandusky is a pedophile and I believe he acted alone in his actions.  Sandusky was a rogue affiliate with the program.  Penn State didn't have the proper controls in play so they were somewhat culpable, and they didn't handle the allegations well when first reported.  However, I didn't look at this as widespread abuse among the coaches and administrators.  What happened at Penn State was tragic since it involved minors, but I never understood all of the initial NCAA sanctions.  Too many innocent people were penalized.

JeffChapman-Dynamic