Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo
- - - - -

Art Briles out at Baylor

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 MHSblueDevilsARE#1

MHSblueDevilsARE#1

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 6,138 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 11:59 AM

In what honestly is a huge surprise, Baylor has fired head football coach Art Briles, amid sexual assault allegations toward a number of his players. For a football hungry school, in a football hungry state, to actually fire their HC this close to the season is a huge shock, and shows that whatever was in the report (from the investigation) must have been very damning. Kudos to Baylor for doing the right thing

#2 CoachG65

CoachG65

Rookie

• Coach
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 01:11 PM

Shame to see such an innovative and from what I could tell, well-respected and liked coach get the boot. However, from everything I have read, control of that football team, or I should say certain players, was lost. Multiple things were not reported, appropriate actions were not taken and some heads needed to roll. To piggy-back off MHS though , Baylor made the right call, showing America that safety of students and morals are still more important than football. 

http://footballscoop...iss-art-briles/

The link above is a good report on what has happened.

"Football is a team sport, and there is no individual who is bigger than the next person." - Emmitt Smith​

#3 Slashman

Slashman

Established Member

• Members
  • 497 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 01:20 PM

I'm glad to be honest.

I watched OTL on ESPN  the other day talking about how awful Baylor was to all the rape victims especially the football players and it made me about want to throw up. There is no excuse for that crap at all. So what the program is doing good wins wise intenally it's a hell and an abyss and it needs to change. You can be as good as you want to on the field but if your inside is a joke then the HC should be blamed and punished.

They will probably be able to hire whoever they want to as it's a big name program. The new coach needs to be willing to be decent and change things. I wish them the best they got a lot of ground to make up and prove theirselves. Hopefully those who were legitly assaulted by those players can find some justice out of it.

#4 Jim West

Jim West

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 9,401 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 03:35 PM

Does anyone remember Patrick Dennehy?  The Baylor Basketball scandal in 2003?  Mike Bliss?

Baylor wasn't going to play around with this new scandal.  

#5 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 17,876 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 03:36 PM

Does anyone remember Patrick Dennehy?  The Baylor Basketball scandal in 2003?  Mike Bliss?

Baylor wasn't going to play around with this new scandal.  

I was living outside of Waco during that time, I remember that well.  

#6 CoachG65

CoachG65

Rookie

• Coach
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 06:15 PM

I am glad that moves were made all the way to the top. I agree that this is an awful thing for a school to do, in trying to cover up what members of athletic teams did, but it's good to see that there are some people in place at this school who are doing what they can to make sure this never happens again. 

"Football is a team sport, and there is no individual who is bigger than the next person." - Emmitt Smith​

#7 FHS1985

FHS1985

Established Member

• Members
  • 938 posts

Posted 28 May 2016 - 09:41 AM

I think this issue might be more difficult for administrators to deal with than most people likely appreciate.  Consider that just within the last few years several serious allegations of sexual assault on college campuses have been shown to be hoaxes.  Specifically I will point out the Duke Lacrosse case and the UVA Rolling Stone story which are now known to have been fabrications (there are others-like "Mattress Girl" at Columbia-where there is serious evidence that the allegations are fabrications, but which have not been conclusively proven). 

So, you're the administrator and you start to hear these allegations-what do you do?  Absent evidence of a violent crime (and I know that there are some former players who are in jail now from Baylor for crimes like rape and sexual assault) do you presume guilt or innocence?  Why?  Remember that many of those who have been falsely accused have won settlements against the schools for actions taken against them. 

Having been on a college campus for many years I know that there are a lot of drunken hook-ups where one party (almost always the female) has regrets the next day.  Frankly, I think that this is, in some part, behind the "rash" of sexual assaults now being reported on campuses.  Young people are sometimes foolish and make stupid mistakes-but that doesn't make them necessarily criminal.  Also bear in mind that the media loves sensation, because that is what draws attention and increases viewership/readership-the sports media is no exception to this rule.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.”

― C.S. Lewis

#8 Jim West

Jim West

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 9,401 posts

Posted 28 May 2016 - 10:42 AM

The school administrators will be second-guessed no matter what they do (or what they don't do).  The administrators are not required by the U.S. Constitution to follow the "presumption of innocence", i.e. "innocent until proven guilty" adage.  The U.S. Constitution, and specifically the 5th and 6th Amendments, give a certain level of the presumption of innocence of those accused of crimes in a court of law, but this protection does not necessarily follow into the U.S. secular society.  However, the administrators have to look after what is the best for their educational institution.

FHS1985 is dead on with identifying a major issue.  Do administrators have the ability to investigate certain crimes and allegations?  Do they have the ability to recognize a bogus allegation as opposed to an allegation with merit?  Do the administrators want to discount an allegation as being bogus when society might believe the administrators are covering up a scandal?  Furthermore, do the administrators want to fire someone when there is a definite risk that a lawsuit will be filed against the school by the one(s) fired?  Do the administrators defer any disciplinary action until the matter has been properly adjudicated?  

Tough position to be in.....

#9 FHS1985

FHS1985

Established Member

• Members
  • 938 posts

Posted 28 May 2016 - 11:20 AM

Jim- I enjoy discussing issues like this with you in this format because every indication you have ever shown me is that you are a fair man and that you are willing to consider all arguments without prejudice-that's rare enough in an online format (and I've seen you keep your cool in threads that have gotten very heated).

It is true that a college administrator has no legal obligation to proceed with a presumption of innocence (as a court would-or should anyway), but I submit that it a good "best practice" in any event.  Police and prosecutors are better equipped to investigate serious criminal charges.  An individual should always be allowed to present evidence on their own behalf, and I know that that does not always occur in the administrative hearings held on campuses.  An expulsion (or even a suspension) can have serious consequences for a young person, and depriving that person of some semblance of due process before punishing them seems, at least to me, unjust.

You will forgive me if I am jaundiced by all of this-I have been listening to the sports-talk hosts on ESPN radio getting all worked up about this, but then I remember that they were all outraged about the Mizzou controversy last year and much of that has been called into question (the University President still was ousted as a result of it, and the coach ended up leaving at the end of the season).

Youth is a mercurial time-passions are often excited by inexperience (and, yes, hormones) and mountains are made out of molehills.  Whatever may, or may not, have happened at Baylor I don't think that our "outrage culture" helps us in understanding the issues.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.”

― C.S. Lewis

#10 Jim West

Jim West

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 9,401 posts

Posted 28 May 2016 - 09:44 PM

You once again hit the nail on the head.

JeffChapman-Dynamic